Forty Eight

Blood Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER FORTY EIGHT; PRIDE

"Please introduce yourself and your species"

"My name is Han Somi, member of Monsta X and the sole element wielder of Blood Haven with the ability to control fire and gravity" That was how the interview had started. Somi took in a deep breath as another question was given to her, another one that she had to stop and think over.

"In our first interview with you before the Great Race, you told us that you 'look forward to meeting Seon Eunkwang and his friend Hyunshik' during the game. How was it seeing those two face to face and did you get what you wanted from that meeting?" The reporter asked and Somi looked away from her to ponder over it.

"Well, walking into a game as such, you know you are going to fight someone if you come across them. But at the same time, I wasn't sure what I could expect from meeting them in the Great Race. They bought up a good fight, all of the spellcasters did, I hope they are satisfied and healing well" Somi nodded after her comment.

"Miss Hyemi discussed with you the last time that this years race was going to be your debut race, how do you feel now that the competition is over? Was it what you had anticipated it would be?"

"I think walking into it, I had my thoughts on what was going to happen, but for something like this, you can never know how it's going to go until your in the middle of it, I've realised that now, it will only be better or worse than what you are expecting for yourself, but you can never predict what the outcome will be" Somi's elbows rested on the armrests of the chair and she clasped her hands together, trying not to squeeze them and show her emotions. Her face remained stoic, void of the anger and anticipation that she had been feeling in her first interview. The person sitting in front of the camera had changed, the event of the game they were all asking about taking its toll on her. With new images in her head, she couldn't form any anger, she couldn't set any goals for who she wanted to go up against. Remorse took over those feelings and the words that had been given to her through the discussions with her team ran through her mind, keeping her from showing any of the emotions that came with the aftermath of her actions from that time.

"In your mind, how do you think the Great Race went for Monsta X? Were successful as you had hoped or more? Did the mindset of teamwork and trust carry you through, or was it something else that got you to the finish line?"

"For me, I think Monsta X has surpassed an idea we had about our placing and time in the Great Race. As all teams do under stress, we faced challenges, as everyone did, but we managed to pull ourselves together again and make it through together. I think that makes us be the ultimate team, and that's what got us through"

"So there are no regrets about coming together to form Monsta X, how do you feel about that name for your team and what's your bond with them like now?"

"I have absolutely no regrets, I still think it's a name, but it's kind of grown on me I guess you could say because I have no shame in presenting myself under that name. We've talked about it and it has more meaning to us than it initially did when Changkyun gave us the name. As for the boys, they're not friends or family, they're something more like a pack and that's hard to put into words. We've just become extremely bonded and close and it's growing and changing every day" Somi bobbed her head and dampened her lips with her tongue as she looked to the reporter.

"Are the Monsta X members still the outcasts of your school as you stated in your first interview? Or are things changing for the team?" 

"We're still the same, winners or losers, but aren't going to like us or accept that we've done something. I don't think we'll ever be able to make our peers happy," Somi's fingers twitched as she said this and she took in a breath, "it's something we've come to accept, it doesn't hurt us, we have no problem with standing up for ourselves and just being who we are" Somi was content with that answer and she bit back her smile. But the look in her eyes changed and the voice of the reporter went up to match that.

"So you're still treated the same?"

"Of course-" Somi nodded "people try and push us around, they call us names and spread rumours about us, they snarl at us like the animals they are. But it just proves we're the better people. We're sticking together and they've done more for me than some people ever made me think they would"

"You told us in your first interview that you were ready for the Great Race, did that follow through?" Somi shook her head immediately after she heard the question, speaking honestly when she opened .

"I've found that like I was saying before, you can think you're ready, that you can expect what's coming. But you really can't the Great Race is so much more than you can ever think it is, and I believe that if it came to doing it again, I would fall into the same cycle where I'm walking into more than I'm expecting"

"Now that Monsta X are the winners of this years game, do you think the underdogs have shined like you said they would?" The reporter asked and Somi finally pulled a smile.

"I believe that we're really gonna shine at the red carpet actually, everyone will" She nodded.

"Why is that?"

"Because we're gonna be all blinged up of course!"

------------

"I thought you said you were going to keep a straight face?"

"You heard it?" Somi asked casually as she shut the door behind her and Hyunwoo nodded, his arms crossed over his chest as he slouched in the seat he was sitting in.

"Most of it" He informed her and Somi nodded.

"It wasn't as bad as the last one," She told him and Hyunwoo hummed, watching her with her comfortable composure as she approached him.

"Where are the others?" She questioned and Hyunwoo shrugged his shoulders.

"They're probably doing their interviews another time" 

"Do you think there will be more for us to do?" Somi's head tilted as Hyunwoo stood up with a big breath out.

"Probably not until the award ceremony, they'll be interviewing everyone there as well" Hyunwoo informed her and Somi hummed.

"Have fun" She commented dismissively as Hyunwoo opened the door to the room she had just left. Hyunwoo saluted, shutting the door as Somi walked out of the office and back out into the halls. With her books tucked under her arm, she strolled through the halls until she passed by row after row of lockers before coming to a stop in front of her own locker. She put the key in the keyhole and twisted, pulling the door open and putting her books away. She hummed a tune to herself, not feeling so bad after that last interview, that had been significantly more relaxed than the group interview.

Somi swapped her books around and shut the locker door, locking it again before tucking the new books under her arm and heading back in the direction she had come from, still humming the same tune to occupy her mind. It was quiet in the halls, there was no one to run into as she walked at her own pace until she was in front of the library doors, pulling them open to be welcomed by the warm air in the building.

"Oh, it's you" Somi looked up, the humming stopped and she could feel her mood going down. The sight of the person in front of her didn't bring her any joy, she was still mad, still absolutely pissed off by the sight of him, she would smack him if she wasn't holding her books and the door.

"Changsub" Somi nodded and attempted to civilly walk past him.

"How do you feel now that you're all the winners, are people treating you better? Or are they still treating you like the scum you're associating yourself with?" Changsub asked her, spinning on his feet so that he could take in the way Somi froze in her place. Her grip tightened on her books and She looked up at the ceiling before she let out a big breath and turned slowly to look at Changsub.

"I don't associate myself with scum Changsub, that's why I never chased after you" She responded and Somi watched as Chungsub clucked his tongue, something burned in his eyes, but it couldn't match the anger that Somi was holding back from lashing at him with.

"You still believe they're good for you? When are you going to see that they aren't going to do anything for you Somi?"

"We won the Great Race together didn't we?" She shot back and Changsub scoffed.

"By pure luck"

"By hustling to get out of there Changsub," Somi told him in a strained voice as Changsub laughed bitterly.

"You don't get it when it comes to them, do you?"

"What is it that I don't get Changsub? Please, do tell me because this whole year so far, I've been told not to trust them, don't do this, don't do that. All I've been told is that they're never gonna be my friends, that it's only gonna damage me to think they're my friends, that I'm only making a mess of myself by hanging around them" Somi rattled off and Changsub shook his head, dark eyes penetrating through Somi. It didn't make her gulp down any fear, she felt no shame. Her fingers gripped her books tightly and she willed her feet to stay where they were, she reminded herself that it losing her temper that would get her nowhere, not anything that Changsub was trying to force down .

"I warned you Somi, to stay away from them, are you happy with the reputation they have given you?" 

"Why? So that the rest of the school doesn't consider me an outcast? It's too late for that Changsub, that was impossible because of what I am, not because of them. Or maybe is it so I don't go causing all the trouble everyone says these guys make? Well I haven't seen any of them do anything out of the normal for a place like this so why would I care?" Somi exclaimed and Changsub bared his teeth in a snarl at her.

"They are the outcasts because they're dangerous!" Changsub argued and Somi shook her head, pointing at the door behind him as if they were there, standing behind him and watching the argument unfold.

"The only danger I have ever felt since I got here is when I'm not near one of them! If they're such outcasts then explain to me how all seven of the most dangerous people in our school were able to be my friends!" She demanded to know and Changsub's mouth opened wide as he rolled his eyes to retort.

"What do you know about shapeshifters! They're using you for their own benefit for all you know Somi!" He argued and Somi scoffed, her arm waving to point back at him now.

"Well where the hell were you when I needed you then? Where were you in the Great Race? Because if you cared about me at all you would have been with me through that, I would have been part of your group instead of running around with them considering they were the ones that stood by me instead of you and your group who claim to be my real friends!"

"Don't you dare try and tell me that"

"What? The truth? Get over yourself you asked for it"

"How about you leave Changsub?" Somi looked over Changsub's shoulder, Changsub turned back to look as well, growling angrily. Kihyun stood at the door to the library, sharp eyes pinned on Changsub. He stalked past him, watching him closely as hse took Somi's hand.

"It's over, there is no more competition between us right now," Kihyun told him in a monotone voice, he pulled Somi by the hand and they walked across the library floor.

"What was that?" Kihyun asked as they climbed up the stairs.

"I don't know, he was there when I was coming in and he started rambling at me about winning the race and our reputation"

"He would still be hating us for what happened to Hyunshik" Kihyun commented as they left the stairs behind them and walked across the floor to the table that was always empty.

"Why? Because he couldn't defeat us in the Great Race?" She frowned and Kihyun stop

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter