Forty Three

Blood Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER FORTY THREE; NEAR.

"The trees are getting thinner right?" Hoseok looked around and Jooheon shook his head as he looked around like the rest of the group.

"No, they're still pretty thick" He slapped his hand on the trunk of the nearest tree and Hoseok glared at him. Hyungwon punched him in Hoseok's place and Jooheon whined, holding his now sore arm as he moved closer to Somi and Changkyun, who hadn't let go of the girl since she was in arms reach again.

"He meant the number of trees you tool, doesn't it look like there's less than there normally is around?" Hyungwon snapped.

"It's thinning out" Hyunwoo agreed, his presence made the group tense and the boys looked at him from the corner of their eye whenever he spoke. They all huddled close, eyes on every direction as they moved as quickly as they could manage. Things had changed, they had already faced several groups and several attacks. The past two nights had gone without sleep and there was no time to pause anymore. The air around them seemed to thicken in a way that put them all on edge, and it wasn't because of Hyunwoo's presence anymore.

"I would say we have a few hundred meters to go, then we'll be reaching the end" Hoseok moved forward that bit quicker than the rest of them and they all bristled as they chased after him. Somi's fingers clamped around her knives in her hands and her eyes widened. A few hundred meters till the end? They were finally getting out of here?

"Are you sure?" Minhyuk asked him before they could all really get their hopes up and Hoseok shrugged his shoulders.

"Not one hundred percent, but I have a good inkling that I'm right" He gruffed, spinning around and using his knife to fend off the nasty face that stopped just centimetres in front of his own. The long teeth clashed against his needlepoint knife and it stopped the other person like breaks in a car. Kihyun kicked them away from Hoseok and without hesitation they ran even faster, none of them staying back to put up a fight against whatever that person had been.

"Heads up newbie," Hoseok looked back at Somi and it was like a flashback to her first few days in Blood Haven, "things are about to get a whole lot worse from here" His eyes narrowed on what was ahead of him again. Somi in a sharp breath, her eyes still on Hoseok as he propelled himself over a large rock and the group dispersed, spreading out as a loud crow echoed around them. She rolled to the ground as something swooped above her. Jooheon jumped over her, weapons in hand and stance defensive as she got back up, pulling her own knives from their sheaths, wishing she hadn't put them away.

"Keep moving!" Hyunwoo yelled at them and they ran, fingers clenching the handle of their knives so hard that their knuckles turned white. Somi had never seen anyone like the people swooping down on them, it had been so quiet a couple of days ago, and now it seemed like everyone was suddenly coming out from hiding to attack each other in the most vicious way possible. Somi screamed and propelled her closed fist forward, her knife connected with the face she had seen lunge at Hoseok moments ago. Blood drew from his cheek and the rows of teeth that seemed to be as long as Somi's own fingers and as thin as needles shone when the metallic liquid ran down over them. The boy let out a roar in response and Somi ducked to avoid the swing of his arms. 

There was an odd slip to his skin that felt like he belonged in water, not dashing through the trees trying to chew a girls head off. And when he grabbed Somi, the slip of his skin was easier to fight her way out of just in time for Hyungwon to aim his knife into the boys back. Somi's eyes widened as she stepped back and Hyungwon looked up at her from his crouched position.

"Keep running!" He commanded as Somi gasped and she nodded, spinning on her feet and running forward again.

"Go! Go!" Kihyun was yelling. There was no point in being quiet now, not when they could see everyone dashing through the trees and crashing into attack after attack. He ran past Changkyun, knuckle brace in place as he clenched his fist, swinging it over his head and down on an elf as he seemingly glided over the floor of the earth. A kick landed in his side and his back slammed into a tree, bringing everything to a momentary stop for him. He looked up at the giant figure looming over him, there was a gleam that caught his eye and Kihyun spotted the cutlass in his hand. Kihyun arms changed into broad wings and he carried himself up. He kicked the giant in the face and flew away, shaking his arms out back to their normal structure as he ran to catch up with the others.

"Clearly, we're nearing the end" Minhyuk let out a frustrated huff, stuck in a similar stifle that Hoseok had been in previously. He blades blocked the razor sharp teeth from ploughing down on him and an ugly roar came out of the mouth that had a tang of bad breath wafting towards Minhyuk's face. Jooheon kicked them away from Minhyuk and bounded after them, making sure the opponent was eliminated before he moved any further.

"Boy, this is rough huh?" Somi looked up at the girl holding her down, sitting on her abdomen with her hands on Somi's throat. Somi was clearly flabbergastered as the girl with wings at her back looked around. Her wings ruffled as Somi glared at her, not responding but letting out a grunt instead. The girl was pushed off Somi's stomach and went to the air. Her wings flapped in a struggle to save her and Somi jumped back up on her feet, throwing a ball of fire at her.

"" She cursed the girl, spinning around with a fist of flames following her to meet the presence coming up from behind her. It seared through the flesh of the boy's cheek, knocking him down and making it easy for Somi to continue running. People were starting to flood the place and Somi could see why. The trees were breaking off, spreading out and disappearing, an open field was coming into view and as the sun went down, Somi could see bright lights opening the way to the last hurdle of the race.

"Jooheon!" Somi yelled. She pointed and Jooheon looked at what she was pointing at.

"My god" Jooheon gasped and Hoseok yelled.

"What are you doing? Keep moving!"

"Go!" Somi yelled at Jooheon as she jumped in front of him with her hands out in front of her, covered in flames that a wild vampire jumped right into. Jooheon's arm shot past Somi, stabbing the vampire through the heart before pulling on Somi's arm. He dragged her along. As they ran the trees grew lesser and the lights ahead grew brighter. They could hear a helicopter in the air above them and deep voices that came from the commentators, there was so much noise coming from the fighting that everything fell on their ears like a loud static that caused their eardrums to ache.

And somehow, the eight of them pushed through the trees and out into the open field, just like many others were and already had before them and Jooheon's grip on Somi tightened before he let go as they looked around.

"Ok-" Minhyuk was breathing raggedly, his hands clenched in fists at his sides and they all looked to each other, seeking out what they must do next. Our best bet is forward right?" His eyes flickered over the group and Hoseok nodded.

"Absolutely," He looked at them all as chaos began to rain down on the open field, with cameras and lights shining on them and enemies circling them from every angle, "run. And don't let anyone stop you" He instructed and the group followed him as he ploughed through the field.

"See you at the finish line" Jooheon nodded, ducking down out of sight as Somi nodded, propelling herself into the air.

Forward. She commanded herself, eyes narrowing on where all the cameras and bright lights were coming from, unable to hear the cheers and rumbles coming from the crowds around the tall lights. Get to the finish line. She willed herself and looked down, watching as the other members of her group ran. That's when she spotted the girl in skin tight green clothing heading for the distracted jaguar. Nose first, Somi speared her way back down to the ground. She grabbed the girl before she could attack the jaguar, taking her by surprise when she tackled her to the ground, making them both roll through the tall and dry strands of grass. The scales on the girl's green body suit gave her a bit of slip but Somi wasn't going to be letting her go.

The rolling came to a stop with Somi on top of the girl as she tried to recover from the surprise of Somi's attack from above. She glared up at Somi and with a practised speed, Somi had set her arms on fire that held the girl down. The flames at the other girl, the slip of her suit made it take longer for the flames to hold onto her but they still managed and Somi swept herself away from the girl as she kicked and screamed from within the flames that ate away at her. Somi took off in a run again. She soared over the jaguar and landed on the back of the wolf that was facing it off. She squeezed her legs and wrapped her arm around the wolfs neck in a choke hold as it raised back on its hind legs and the jaguar took another swipe at its exposed torso.

"KEEP RUNNING!" Somi screamed and the jaguar shifted back into Hyunwoo, who pushed himself off the ground to take off in a sprint. Somi grit her teeth. Her face scrunched up as she struggled to hold onto the writhing wolf. It was one of the strongest fights Somi had to put up yet. Her body was exhausted, even with adrenaline pumping through it. The wolf seemed to be at its wit's end, shifting into the human form of a boy and back into his werewolf form. At one point he was so angry he could only shift halfway, unable to control any of the shifts happening to him. It was rapid and wild, he was inflicting wounds on her that would litter her skin for a long time. It brought pain every time she moved. Somi felt like she couldn't even control gravity properly. When she launched into the air it was a sharp and rapid motion that was uncontrolled and took the wind out of her. And the boy could jump, pushing off the ground and swiping at her in the air. 

Then she would slam back down. If she was lucky she would land on a wobbly pair of feet and maybe knock down another person or two that got in the way. But there were several times where she wasn't lucky. She couldn't help when her emotions set loose. Her hair swallowed up in flames several times and flames exploded around her as if a bomb was going off. All of that repeated itself with the werewolf not losing his sights on her. She fought as hard as she could against him. His face and neck were bloody from her knuckle brace and her nails from all the scratching and punching she had attacked him with. He looked no better than she did but he had gone completely wild. Somi clenched her knives in her hands. Blood was covering him from all the incisions she had made in his skin and she could hardly see any of his flesh now. 

The grass around them stuck to them, struggling to part ways with them when they rolled over the ground and belted each other through the air.

"GO SOMI!" A gunshot rang out and with a snarl, the werewolf was lunging at her again. Somi managed to throw herself away, collapsing in the long grass away from the werewolf. His body slumped, unmoving when Somi dared to look up and see what was happening. That's when her saviour swept in and ripped her up from the ground with a tight grip under her arms.

"Come on we have to keep going" It was Hyungwon, and his hand tapped her on the backside before he grabbed one of her arms again and grabbed her forward.

"Hey! What the hell?-" She started on him and Hyungwon held up the gun, showing it to her as they narrowly missed a hissing serpent on the ground.

"Yeah, I stole it from some nymph, how stupid for a nymph to be carrying a gun right?" He scoffed as they continued to run full speed ahead and Somi growled, she was too stressed, too overwhelmed and tired to reprimand Hyungwon for thinking nothing of slapping her on the backside so suddenly. 

Changkyun's lips pulled back to reveal his teeth, with his knives in his hands, he pushed as hard as he could to try and stop the sword from slashing through his body. His feet dug into the ground as he pushed, grunting out loud as his face screwed up. The sword pushed back j

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter