Forty

Blood Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER FORTY; NOT YOU.

Hyunwoo knew he wasn't safe. He wasn't alone either. Every step he took, he knew it was with eyes watching him from the shadows. He had shifted into different animals, going to the highest points of the trees and the lowest points in the ground and he had changed his form to entirely different people. But they were still watching him prowling and circling in on him. There was a whole group of them, he could sense that. But he couldn't find what way he had to go in order to escape the trap they were placing upon him. He would run, racing away from them and taking off in different directions. And they would still follow, he could hear them all around him, too hard to see but close enough for him to sense, never coming out for a fight but remaining so close that he could feel them staring him down, snickering at him from within the shadows that they hid in.

Hyunwoo knew it was coyotes on his trail, coyotes, he could smell them, feel a whole pack of them around him, closing in on him and eliminating any ability to escape them. A pack, a whole united pack that planned to take him down, he who was on his own with no pack.

Growing tired of the endless trailing from the coyotes, Hyunwoo lurched forward, so suddenly that the coyote he aimed for had no time to react. He dove through the bushes, arms shooting out and grabbing the animal to throw him into plain sight and he growled. The coyote smacked into a tree that wrenched and splintered loudly. The coyote dropped to the ground ungloriously and shook its head, shifting back into the form of a slim bodied boy that looked up at him with dark eyes. Hyunwoo stepped forward. The drying particles in the moist ground crinkled under the weight of Hyunwoo's boot as a familiar voice laughed out loud and Park Minjun stepped out from hiding.

"I was wondering how long it was going to take you to react to us Son Hyunwoo" He smirked and Hyunwoo flicked his head to look at him.

"I was getting sick of you freaks circling me, your smell sticks to anything you go near" Hyunwoo scoffed and Minjun rose an eyebrow in response. A wild bark signalled Hyunwoo to drop down to the ground, he crouched, covering his head for good measure as an ugly coyote gnashed his teeth at him as he soared over Hyunwoo, having aimed to take him down while Minjun had his attention.

"Not right now Joon" Minjun shook his head. Hyunwoo brought his arms down from his head and stood up. He watched with a small disgusted sigh falling through his lips as the coyote popped and cracked its bones, rotten flesh fading away for Joon to take the animals place. Joon scowled visibly, his brows pressed down and his lips drawn in a straight line, struggling to hold onto his temper as Hyunwoo stood in front of him in full view for him to see.

"I was hoping that I would catch you with the rest of your team Hyunwoo," Minjun began to stroll slowly, with his hands clasped behind him in a casual manner, three more coyotes came out of the shadows, bones snapping and locking in and out of place, their faces changing to more human ones as Minjun walked a slow circle around Hyunwoo, "I wanted to finish our business with you and your other friends" A smirk pulled at Minjun's dark lips and Hyunwoo clucked his tongue. He kept his shoulders square and his eyes followed Minjun as he walked, keeping his fists clenched at his sides, waiting to come to his own defence.

"I'm not part of that team" Hyunwoo stated bluntly and Minjun stopped in his tracks as the rest of his pack watched on in caution.

"Pardon me?" Minjun grinned in disbelief, looking around at s as he let his shoulders shake as he let out a laugh.

"You mean to say, you're here independently after entering as part of a team? Or was that a facade?" Minjun chuckled, amused by the pinch of Hyunwoo's brows and the way his face contorted to show he was not entertained without him meaning for it to.

"What's it matter to you? I've told you that I'm not part of that team" Hyunwoo snapped and Minjun turned to face Hyunwoo, raising an eyebrow and putting a hand up, signalling for another one of his pack members to halt in their place when they went to pounce at Hyunwoo for his quick temper.

"The problem here Hyunwoo, is that once we're done with you, we have to go looking for the other ones, you know, that girl, that other guy and Hyungwon the freak? Not to mention there were others weren't there? We can't just leave them undisposed of in a place like this" Minjun narrated, crossing his arms in front of his chest as he let his head tilt to the side, gaging Hyunwoo's reaction.

"That's not a problem for me" Hyunwoo shrugged his shoulders and took a small step back, Minjun's pack members took a big step forward as they circled around him.

"Yes Hyunwoo, but it's a problem for us-" The look in Minjun's eyes changed and he took a rapid step forward before running to be face to face with Hyunwoo in the blink of an eye. "-so how about you tell us where they are-" Hyunwoo grabbed Minjun's by the thick jacket he was wearing, pulling him to the side and throwing him in the opposite direction. Joon was the first to react by changing back into his coyote form and pouncing at Hyunwoo. Hyunwoo ducked under his attack again and kicked his foot into the back legs of the coyote before they pulled off the ground. The coyote yelped and toppled over Hyunwoo as he shifted into a wolf. He latched onto Joon with his teeth and snarled as they kicked each other with Hyunwoo putting Joon on his back.

"Samual" He heard a low voice whisper and his wolf ears twitched, prompting him to look up. He jumped out of the way before the boy that must have been Samuel could cause him any damage with the weapon in his hand. Joon rolled away and got back on all fours, narrowing his eyes on Hyunwoo as Minjun pushed his way back into the scene and aimed to tackle Hyunwoo from behind. But Hyunwoo turned around in time raising himself on his back legs and gnashing his teeth at Minjun as his paw swiped with elongated claws landing on Minjun's chest, cutting through the flesh on his body and pushing off. Hyunwoo jumped back creating distance in his human form.

"Let's make this quick shall we Hyunwoo?" Minjun pulled out his butterfly knife, twirling the knife in his hand and grabbing it by the safety handle, standing defensively so that he could charge at Hyunwoo. Hyunwoo's brows pinched and he fastened the knuckle brace he wore into place and pulled out one of his own knives, letting it gleam under the rays of the sun that shone through the gaps in the trees above.

"It'll be just as quick as the last time, won't it Minjun?" Hyunwoo taunted and Minjun ran forward with his pack copying his actions.

------------

"Oh my god" Kihyun wheezed out, he visibly went pale in the blink of an eye.

"There's a whole tribe of them"

"What do we do?" Somi quivered, but it was too late. They were being jumped at, wild lions running at them and swinging paws with extended claws at them. Somi screamed a high pitched shrill that made the one lion coming her way roar. Somi flung herself into the air before the lion could grab her and tear her apart limb for limb with its teeth. The fear she felt rattled her and she dropped back on to the ground with her legs giving out under her weight. She collapsed with a gasp of air and despite the pain that shot through her body from the collision with the ground she forced herself to look up and find what had the hairs on the back of her neck standing as her senses went wild.

"We've got no choice but to fight them off!" Hoseok yelled, he tried hiding, weaving and sliding on his feet with Hyungwon in his arms. Growls and hisses. The padding of feet over the ground. Ragged breaths. Things moved at a speed so fast they were lucky if their eyes could catch anything. The animals were fast, almost as fast as they were. And it was hard to get away without coming close to feeling the wrath of their teeth or claws. Helping Hoseok dodge the lions, Somi raised him in the air and up into one of the trees where he covered himself and Hyungwon for safety. 

The sounds of the lions dissuaded anyone within an eight-kilometre radius to come any closer. Minhyuk knew they had to find a way to get away from them before one of them was severely injured, or killed by the lions.

"Just stay up here Hyungwon" Hoseok barked at Hyungwon.

"I know I can help!" Hyungwon shook his head and Hoseok jumped back down from the tree, ignoring Hyungwon. A lion jumped on him, forcing him down to the ground with a loud snarl. His claws dug into Hoseok skin and Hoseok howled, his mouth opening wide as his teeth visibly became sharper. Hoseok shifted from underneath the lion that bit into his shoulder. He roared, using his back legs to kick the lion away from him. He rolled and got back up on four legs. The tiger that he had shifted into was the slightest bit taller than most of the lions and when he roared, they reacted with sharp turns of their heads and angry mewls as their sharp eyes pinned onto him.

"Jooheon look out!" Jooheon dropped to the ground and Changkyun covered him, shifting into the body of another tiger as he met the lion head on with claws out and teeth ready to cause damage to the lion.

Somi stood up again with a swing of her arm. Flames stopped what was now the third lion that had tried to attack her while she was down. It roared in agony, throwing its own body back before it could feel the searing pain of flames burning through its coat and into its flesh. The lion collapsed, staring at the fire that vanished before its eyes millimetres before it could the first hairs of the lion's coat. Somi chest rose and fell as she huffed, was dry and her lungs demanded for more air then what they were currently receiving. She tried to take a deep breath in and slow her breathing, missing the fourth lion that attacked at her. The lion swiped her with its large paw, cutting through her uniform and her flesh. The strength in the lion ripped Somi's fe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter