Eighteen

Blood Haven
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN; ALL MEAT AND NO POTATO.

"So this is me, some people call it their other form, releasing their inner self or their true nature, some people think of it as another side to them. Everyone has different opinions and feelings. But for me, this is my true form" Somi was shocked, her hand instinctively grabbing Jooheon and gripping tightly as her wide eyes stayed planted on Bora standing before them all proudly showing her true form. Her hair by god the hair was moving on its own, it wasn't even hair anymore.

"As you can all see, I am a Gorgon, a long distance relative of Medusa and her sisters" Somi couldn't seem to tear her eyes away from the sight. Despite having literal snakes for hair with eyes to match those snakes, Bora looked elegant, like she could walk with the God's and it was a sight to behold. She looked more in her element now, even as the students filling the hall gasped at her form, everyone letting out their surprise.

"I won the Great Race four years ago now" Bora travelled to the side of the stage, she took a remote from the pocket of the black jeans she wore and a powerpoint came to live on the wall behind her where a picture of Bora holding a trophy, looking battered and bruised but still smiling could be seen.

"There were four of us girls on my team, all of which are my sisters" She pressed a button on the remote and a picture of four girls in protective clothing that was covered in mud showed up. They were hugging each other tightly, all with long hair made of snakes and cuts and bruises covering the skin that could be seen.

"Over the span of a week and a half we fought our way from one side of the forest to the other, and it goes without saying that all of us were greatly injured during the race, and some of us were never seen on the other side, as sad as that is to say, sometimes it happens. They say that sometimes it has to happen for a winner to be decided. The youngest of my sisters was sixteen when we one the Great Race, but we had to fight like men in war, if you want to survive the Great Race, it's something you have to put you're all into" Bora paused, looking up at the picture of her sisters as the room filled with silence until Bora clicked down on the remote and the image of a map appeared.

"This year, I was given the option to be on the commentary bench for the Great Race, and I've also received the honour of telling you about some changes that will occur this year" Bora turned away from the image of the map, walking back to the centre of the stage and facing the front.

"This year, the Great Race will only be going for one month, the duration of November" Ruckus broke out and Bora stood with the microphone to , not saying anything as she let the news sink in for everyone.

"Now, because the time of the Great Race has been shortened, it consequently means, for everyone to participate, year levels will be competing against other year levels as well as themselves"

"What the heck?" Jooheon muttered, he reached for Somi, taking her hand in his again as he looked down with eyes full of worry. Somi glanced at him, biting down on her lip and moving her eyes back to the woman that stood tall on the stage.

"And unlike other years, our juniors will be going first, meaning the order has been reversed, and our seniors will be going last" Bora looked around now that the news was out and Somi gripped Jooheon's hand her body going rigid in her seat as Bora gave a smile and a more gruesome picture was displayed.

"I understand this is a shock to everyone and it will take some adjusting, but let's get into what is to be expected when you participate in the Great Race" Somi's stomach churned as she sat there, looking down at Bora with wide eyes.

"I understand that there may be some people new to this school and the event we hold, some of us have also been here for a while and are no stranger to this, but let's remember everyone deserves an equal chance ok?" 

Somi had a horrible feeling about all of this

------------

"As an alete species, the Great Race may very well be one of the scariest things you'll ever do in your life. Those of you that have already participated in a Great Race would know that it's war with your peers. Everyone is trying to survive in harsh circumstances, and everyone wants to win. You'll all have to fight in the biggest test you're ever going to face, and some of you may not come out the same, or at all. But don't let that stop you from fighting. As a survivor of the Great Race, I can tell you that running, that trying to neglect this race and hoping to escape won't do you any good. As a winner, I can tell you that yes, you have to fight those that you may otherwise call a friend, but you have to do it if you want to live. As a winner I've come to tell you that you all have to want to win, to come out on top of this, because when you do, you can join me and my sisters, you can join many more of us that are fighting right now" Mummers broke out around the room and Bora waited for the hushed voices of confusion to calm down before she spoke again.

"Make it out of this race alive and it could positively be the last one you've ever had to take part in" Bora vowed them and students grew even more confused.

"Keep this between me and you, mentally make this your goal, anyone that wants to join me and many more bring the Great Race to an end needs to make it out of this one alive. You need to fight and survive, because it will prepare you for a bigger fight for justice for all the species, for all kinds of people, it'll prevent your own kids from having to fight this battle. Go in there with a good purpose and not with the goal of destroying your peers for a trophy"

"Are you ok?" Somi blinked, looking around before looking up at Hyungwon who was looking down at her with clear concern on his face as she came back from zoning out.

"Huh?" She breathed out and Hyungwon frowned.

"I asked you if you're ok? You're zoning out as if the devil is whispering in your ear" Hyungwon shoved his hands on his pockets, standing in front of Somi as the voices of her classmates filled her ears again and she realised where she still was.

"Oh, yeah I'm fine. Don't worry about it" Somi nodded and Hyungwon rose an eyebrow at her in response.

"Don't you give me that look, you're lucky I'm being nice to you right now" Somi crossed her arms, narrowing her eyes on Hyungwon who immediately brushed his concern for her away with a scoff.

"You're still pissy at me for that? So what is a little ear chewing and some detentions? No big deal newbie" Hyungwon shrugged, a slight smile dancing on his lips in amusement towards the girl before him.

"No big deal? The grilling was worse because you couldn't keep your big mouth shut and just take the lecture we were originally going to get. The principle is even eyeing us right now!" Somi looked over at the said person before putting her eyes back on Hyungwon who looked over his shoulder to see that Somi was right in her statement.

"I bet he thinks we're trouble making friends and you're convincing me to join you in a wild plan" Somi scowled and Hyungwon looked down at her in confusion as the crowd of students began moving out of the building with the supervision of the teachers.

"What's wrong buddy? You don't wanna smash all the windows in the school?" Hyungwon slung an arm over Somi's shoulders, pulling her to walk with him before Jooheon could latch onto her and he ignored the look Jooheon gave him because of it.

"Damn it Hyungwon! You know this isn't helping. And I'm not your buddy either" Somi hissed through her teeth and forced Hyungwon's arm off her. Hyungwon let out a chortle, bumping shoulders with Somi a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter