Back to Normal

Help, My Girlfriend's a Bear

A/N: Hi everyone, and thank you those of you who read the last chapter. Seulgi was freed from her accidental curse and is now back to her human form. Joyri had major development, and also we need to see what’s going to happen with Seungwan and her role in everything. I think by chapter 10 or before, this should be finished. Thank you all so much for reading and enjoying.


 

Seungwan had been a mess when she first realized what she had done to Seulgi. It was a spell gone horribly wrong when she tried to take what she knew of her shapeshifter friend, and use it to her advantage. She has spent millenia in her cave alone and lonely all in one breath. When she met Joy and Yerim she finally felt like she had some friends. They introduced her to Seulgi and she felt like she had another friend. Seulgi was different in ways. She was brave, kind, generous with all she loved, and also free. Seungwan admired the shapeshifter because of her ability to shift at will. Seulgi could be almost any animal as long as she had the blueprint of the animal in mind. As years passed Seungwan wanted to be a shapeshifter too. The ability to be almost anything was tempting. The need to be able to be free and out of that cave was also very much tempting. It’s why she tried the spell but instead of achieving the goal she wanted. She only ended up cursing Seulgi.


 

It was hard lying to her friend and pretending she didn’t know why Seulgi was unable to shift. She knew for sure she needed to find some way to help. The doppelgänger she created was also a spell gone wrong. But at the same time it was useful and meant to be a diversion. She just needed enough time to find a way to fix what she had done. Unfortunately, she could find no way to fix it and decided all she could do was return to her cave and apologize to everyone, especially Seulgi.

 

“Seul will probably hate me.” The dark-haired mermaid sighs as she swims back home. She doesn’t want to lose any of her friends. She hopes it won’t come to that. When she arrives back to her cave she sees her doppelgänger. She’s clearly been here a while and waiting for her.

 

“Hi, Seungwan.”

 

“Hi.” Seungwan nods. “Did Joy find out that you weren’t me?”

 

“I told them. It was hard lying.”

 

Seungwan nods and thanks her anyway. She never intended for any of this and has no idea how to make it alright.

 

“You didn’t find a way to help Seulgi?”

 

“No,” The mermaid sighs. “I’m worried that she will hate me.”

 

The doppelgänger looks sad. She is essentially a part of Seungwan and feels most of what she feels. She knows how important the siren’s friends are to her. It would hurt to lose them.

 

“Maybe, once you properly explain things can be better?”

 

Seungwan smiles sadly. “I’m not sure, but thank you for trying to help. I will explain myself and apologize properly to everyone, especially Seul.”

 

Seungwan just hopes Seulgi can forgive her. She never wanted anything like this to happen at all. Meanwhile, back at Joy’s even though Seulgi was safe and back to herself and in front of her face. Joohyun didn’t want to let her out of her sight. She insisted on taking care of Seulgi. She helped her shower, change into pajamas, and wanted to do anything she needed for her girlfriend.

 

“She didn’t die you know.” The vampire frowns as she sees Joohyun preparing to make tea.

 

“I know, but she’s not fully healed. I just want to help take care of her. Thank you both for all you did to help.” The human tells both Joy and Yerim.

 

“We didn’t do anything. You broke the curse.” Joy reminds her.

 

“You know what I mean. You’ve both helped a lot and Seul and I are both grateful.”

 

“She is our best friend.” The witch assures. “I still need to make sure she’s completely good. Tomorrow I need to make sure she can shift at will like she always could. But for now it’s enough she’s back to human again. You should get some rest too, Joohyun.”

 

“Thank you, I will. I’ll see you both in the morning.”

 

“Night,” the witch and vampire tell her. Joy yawns soon and stands up. It’s been a hell of a day and she thinks she needs to go to sleep too. She feels mostly better from getting bitten earlier, but not at 100 percent. She turns to Yerim who is standing there looking back at her.

 

“Hey, I’m going to get some sleep too.”

 

“Wait…” Yerim tries to touch her. Joy turns to her with a smile. She knows that they need to properly talk, but maybe they should do so in the morning.

 

“Let’s talk in the morning, okay?”

 

The blonde nods and still gently touches her arm. It’s so soft that Joy nearly misses the touch. That small but important gesture touches the witch. She says goodnight to Yerim but the vampire simply follows.

 

“Let me stay with you.”

 

“W-What!” The redhead says surprised. Yerim never wants to stay with her.

 

“Let me stay with you.” The blonde repeats and Joy sees that she is worried. Joy understands and it’s why she hugs the shorter woman.

 

“You didn’t hurt me on purpose.”

 

“I know, but I want to stay with you.”

 

“Okay, Yerimie. You can stay with me.”

 

Joy has a calm face but inside she is beaming. This is all she has wanted. She really thinks she’s dreaming when she feels the vampire take her hand.

 

“Oh my god, is this real?”

 

Joy thinks finally after so many years of pining away for Yerim. They’re finally on the right track to being a legit couple, or at least she is hopeful anyway. She hopes that tomorrow when they talk everything will be figured out completely.


 

Joohyun is hovering. Seulgi tries to gently remind her girlfriend that she is fine, and she doesn’t have to hover. The message doesn’t come across because the raven keeps fluffing her pillows, making sure she’s comfortable, asking if she’s hungry. She is really still worried. Seulgi does understand why her girlfriend is worried still, but she is feeling fine overall.

 

“Do you want more tea?” Joohyun asks.

 

“Hyun?”

 

“Should I get some more pillows? Maybe you need more pillows.”

 

“Hyun?” Seulgi tries again.

 

“Are you sure you’re not hungry? I can make you…” Joohyun gets cut off by a pair of soft pink lips touching her own. It feels so good to be able to properly feel the monolid woman’s lips against hers. Joohyun wraps her arms around her shoulders to deepen their kiss. She is relieved that Seulgi is back to a human form now. She is also just relieved that Seulgi didn’t die.

 

“Hyun, calm down for me.”

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

Seulgi gently pushes back her dark locks. Joohyun leans into the soft and familiar touch of Seulgi’s hands.

 

“I’m fine, Hyun. I’m just a little sore and tired. My body will recover.”

 

“I’m so glad you’re okay.” She kisses her knuckles. “I thought I was going to lose you.”

 

The brunette nods. She honestly thought she was a goner too. That was one big wolf and she couldn’t do but so much in her smaller form. Now she is here with the woman she loves. Seulgi can talk to her, feel her hands, kiss her lips, and just be with Joohyun again.

 

“I’m here, and everything’s going to be okay.”

 

The human hugs her and feels Seulgi carefully wrap an arm around her. It feels amazing to be held by Seulgi again.

 

“I know things aren’t over yet. Because you have to talk to Seungwan, but for now I’m just glad we’re together.”

 

“Me too, I love you.”

 

“I love you too. Let’s get some sleep, baby.”

 

“Okay, sounds good.”

 

Seulgi lays down first and Joohyun carefully lays down beside her. She wants to move closer only doesn’t want to cause any unintentional pain. Before Joohyun closes her eyes she can feel an arm around her bringing her closer. She falls asleep to the sound of the monolid woman’s heartbeat. Seulgi is back and with her again and it’s what matters most.


 

When Joy wakes up its to find Yerim laying beside her. She nearly screams in excitement because the vampire she loves is right here within arms reach. She pinches herself as she’s got to be dreaming.

 

“Joy?” The blonde questions.

 

“You’re really here?” The redhead softly questions while touching Yerim’s face. The vampire nods and gives her arm a soft squeeze. Joy realizes that it’s where she was accidentally bitten.

 

“Are you still hurt?”

 

“I think a kiss would make me feel a lot better.”

 

Yerim rolls her eyes playfully. As expected of Joy to say such things. It’s why the blonde makes like she is about to kiss her arm, but instead slaps her lips to her hand and uses that hand to act like she kissed the redhead. Joy frowns and pushes Yerim away from her in annoyance.

 

“I hate you!” Joy screams.

 

The vampire laughs. “I thought you loved me.”

 

“Huh?” The witch turns immediately when she hears what Yerim says. Joy has never imagined this day truly. The day that Yerim catches on must be the day hell itself is about to freeze over.

 

“Oh my god, Hell has frozen over.”

 

“What?” The vampire blinks.

 

“I said hell has frozen over. You never knew I loved you and now you know.”

 

Yerim nods and takes both of Joy’s hands into her own. She just couldn’t imagine that Joy had those feelings for her. But last night had really opened her eyes. You don’t do what Joy did for her if not love.

 

“I understand now, and I’m sorry I didn’t see it before.”

 

“You’re so slow. How could you not know I was crazy in love with you, vampy!”

 

“I know you’re crazy.”

 

“Hey!” Joy pouts.

 

“Listen, I’m sorry. But you know what happened to me when I was made vampire.”

 

Joy nods. She knows very well that when her parents made her vampire through the ancient ritual, her heart was taken in the process and she didn’t have basic knowledge of feelings, and especially not human feelings.

 

“I know because of your heart situation. You’ve never felt love before, so how could you know.”

 

“I know now.” The vampire assures. “I’m sorry it took me so long to see.”

 

“I just care that you see now, and that you know I love you very much.”

 

Yerim responds by leaning forward and kissing her. Joy is stunned for a long moment. If this is a dream she is going to enjoy every single last minute of it. The redhead leans into the kiss more and it’s everything she could have wanted. She savors every moment of those soft pink lips and breaks away only when she needs air.

 

“Does this mean you’re finally mine, Yerimie?”

 

“I think there’s no escaping you.”

 

“That’s good enough for me!” Joy laughs and wraps her arms around the shorter woman. As long as Yerim fully understands she is hers, then that’s what matters most of all. Yerim isn’t wrong as there really is no escape and there’s nothing that the witch wouldn’t do to be with her.


 

Joohyun woke up at first scared that she would find Seulgi gone or stuck as a bear still. The human was relieved to see Seulgi sitting there awake.

 

“Hi, baby. Good morning,” Joohyun smiles and leans up to kiss the monolid woman. “How are you feeling?”

 

“A little better.”

 

“Hm, how about now?” Joohyun asks as she leans up to kiss her. Seulgi returns the kiss and it escalates to the point that Joohyun moves to sit in her lap facing her. Seulgi places her hands to her hips and they continue making out. It has been a long time since they were able to properly kiss.

 

“Hi, good morning!” Joy shouts as she enters the room with Yerim by her side.

 

Joohyun is startled badly by the redhead’s loud interruption that she jumps. Seulgi carefully puts her hand to her lower back in an effort to help calm her down.

 

“Hi, guys. Good morning.” Seulgi smiles.

 

“Hey, Seul.” Yerim nods. “How are you feeling?”

 

“A little better.”

 

“Well, we’re glad you’re back and on the way to feeling better. I just want to make sure you’re back to normal, Seul. Let’s see if you can shift at all.” Joy tells her friend. Seulgi has been thinking about that too. She is in human form again that’s true. The monolid woman needs to be sure that she can shift into something at will. Once she does that then Seulgi knows she will feel more secure about being completely free from this curse.

 

“Not anything too scary, Seul.” Her girlfriend whispers from beside her.

 

“I want to see you turn into the lion.” Yerim grins and does it mostly because it scares Joohyun. Joy shakes her head.

 

“No, that’s not nice to scare the human, baby.” The witch tells her vampire who frowns. What’s the point of knowing humans if you can’t personally scare them from time to time. Seulgi promises Joohyun that she won’t turn into anything scary. The brunette closes her eyes and focuses again on the bird she was trying to turn into the other day. She can feel the wings, heart of the animal, and spirit. Everyone looks to see in place of Seulgi is a small orange bird who is flying around some.

 

“Hah! You shifted, this is really good.” Joy nods in relief.

 

“Now we just need to see if you can willingly turn back.” The vampire speaks. Joohyun thinks the little orange bird is beautiful. She reaches out her hands to touch Seulgi in bird form. Seulgi notices that Joohyun is trying and she flies over to her. The raven-haired human carefully caresses a wing.

 

“I think your bird form is beautiful, Seul.”

 

“I still think you should have done the lion.” Yerim reminds Seulgi. The little bird rolls her eyes at her friend. She then flies over to the bed where she was sleeping and turns back to human again. No one is more relieved than her that she is able to shift again at will.

 

“Well, looks like you’re all back to normal, Seul.” The redhead tells her. “I’m glad.”

 

“Me too, at least this part is resolved.”

 

They all know that eventually Seulgi needs to talk to Seungwan. She is the reason for this entire mess, even if it wasn’t anything intentional. Joohyun gives her hand a soft squeeze. The human wants to be there for her girlfriend in anyway she can.

 

“Well, we can go see her today if you want.”

 

Yerim groans quietly after Joy says this. The last thing she wants to do is travel back to that cave and deal with either the mermaid or the clone. She is fine hanging around here. The most important issue has been resolved.

 

“I am not going.”

 

“Aw, but sweetie.” Joy smiles and hugs her. “Will you go for me?”

 

“Hmm…” Yerim frowns. She really doesn’t want to go, but when Joy looks at her all hopeful it does something to her. It makes her feel things that she has never felt with any other person. Joy makes her feel things she never has before.

 

“Fine, for you.”

 

“Yes, that’s my vampy.” Joy plants a huge kiss on the side of her cheek. Joohyun thinks they are really cute together in their magical being way.

 

“Are you two together now, or what?” Joohyun decides to know. There is something different now as compared to other times the two of them have interacted. Perhaps that whole incident of Yeri accidentally biting Joy when she tried to help her made some sort of impact. Joy doesn’t know what to say to that. The blonde vampire simply wraps an arm around the taller woman’s waist.

 

“She’s mine and I’m hers.”

 

Joy is as red as her hair when Yerim says this. Joohyun thinks she has the answer to her question. Seulgi is glad for her two friends as she always hoped that they would be an official couple one day.

 

“It only took you guys what, 100 years?” Seulgi teases and that gets her shocked with electricity by the witch.

 

“You be quiet! Anyway, let’s see about getting some breakfast, hm? I don’t know about you lovebirds, but I’m hungry.”

 

Seulgi’s stomach answers for her. Joohyun grins and gently pats her stomach. It looks like it’s time to finally get some food. They all go down to the kitchen to have breakfast. Yerim sits off to the side on her phone texting. Joy is secure of course in their relationship and trusts the vampire with her life.

 

“You aren’t texting Saeron, are you!”

 

“Oh, no. Here we go.” Seulgi sighs.

 

“No.” The vampire answers.

 

“Okay, better not be.”

 

Joohyun looks over to Seulgi who is eating normally again and not with her paws. Joohyun has to admit she had gotten somewhat used to seeing the small bear eating her food. Seulgi notices that Joohyun is sort of staring at her.

 

“What’s wrong?”

 

“Nothing’s wrong. I just got sort of used to seeing you eat as a bear.”

 

“Yeah, you really were too cute.” The witch agrees. “But you’re back to normal now, so you’re just you again.”

 

“Gee, thanks Joy.”

 

“You’re welcome.” Joy beams in response.

 

After breakfast Joy tells Seulgi again that they can make their way over to the cave to talk to Seungwan. Seulgi has decided on something else entirely. The shapeshifter feels as if this is something she should handle alone. She is ready to go and talk to the mermaid on her own for a heart to heart talk.

 

“Why would you want to go alone?” The redhead voices everyone’s thoughts.

 

“I don’t think you should see the fish alone, Seul.” Yerim tells her.

 

“Baby, are you sure you don't want us to go with you.” Joohyun asks.

 

“I appreciate all of you wanting to be there, but this is something I have to handle with Wan alone.”

 

Yerim personally thinks it’s a bad idea. As much as she herself doesn’t want to step foot in that cave. She really doesn’t think that Seulgi should go alone either. Joy agrees with that sentiment and tells the shapeshifter another idea.

 

“How about we all go with you and wait for you in the boat? We will only interfere if you need help or anything?”

 

Seulgi agrees to that and goes to get ready. Joohyun goes with her to make sure the monolid girl is really fine. She’s been with Seulgi long enough to know when she’s nervous or anxious. Seulgi looks calm on the outside but the human knows she’s nervous. Joohyun reaches for her hands as she leads her taller partner over to sit.

 

“Talk to me, Seul.”

 

Seulgi sighs. She feels very conflicted right now. On the one hand Seungwan is a good friend who she has known for years. She knows that the mermaid is a kind person who definitely didn’t intend any harm. However, there is no ignoring that the damage was done. Not only did Seulgi go through a lot but Joohyun had to as well. It made them only stronger as a couple. Still, there was a lot of unfair moments they both had to deal with.

 

“She didn’t mean to hurt anyone, that I do know. I know she didn’t mean for anything bad to happen. But we also can’t ignore that it did cause damage, Hyun. We would have had to break up if I stayed as a bear.”

 

“No,” Joohyun shakes her head. “I know we would have had to adjust. I accepted you for all you are and I love you, Seul. I am glad you are back to normal though.”

 

“Me too,” The brunette promises. “I’m glad to be back to normal too. I just have to deal with what she did.”

 

“I’m with you, Seul. No matter what happens I’m with you.”


 

Meanwhile, downstairs Yerim is sitting at the kitchen table bored out of her mind because Joy had to sit her down for something she said was a lesson. The vampire doesn’t know why she needs this lesson.

 

“Okay, sweetie. This is all for your own good. I’m going to show you a series of pictures and you have to tell me what you see, alright?”

 

“Fine.” Yerim nods. She doesn’t know what she expects to happen but the last thing she expected was to see a bunch of pictures of mermaids.

 

“Why so many fish!” The blonde yells, and Joy gently touches her cheek. She has always wondered if Yerim simply doesn’t know what a mermaid is, or if she just genuinely thinks that Seungwan is a fish.

 

“I need to know something, Yerimie. Okay, what about this picture?”

 

The blonde frowns at the picture of a red-tailed mermaid. “Red fish.”

 

“Okay,” The redhead nods. “What about this one?”

 

“Pink fish.”

 

“Very good, and this one?”

 

Yerim sighs. “Purple fish, now why are you making me look at so many fish pictures. We already know one in real life.”

 

Joy sits in shock for several long minutes. Her vampire really thinks mermaids are fish. This explains so much.

 

“You really think they are fish, don’t you?”

 

The blonde nods. “They have tails.”
 

“My poor baby,” The redhead sighs. “Oh, sweetie. One day we’re going to have to explain that they are mermaids.”

 

Yerim doesn’t respond to that because Seulgi and Joohyun return. It’s time to make their way to see Seungwan. Yerim simply grabs Seulgi by her shirt and almost lifts her off the ground.

 

“Listen to me, Seul. Whatever the hell you do, don’t make the fish sing. I swear if the fish sings I will go crazy.”

 

“I promise, Yerim.”

 

“Okay, good.” The blonde nods. “Let’s get the hell there quick, so we can come back fast.”

 

Joy simply wraps her arms around the shorter woman and kisses her forehead. She hopes Yerim will be fine when they go to see Seungwan. She also hopes Seulgi most of all will be fine when they talk. The witch was doing some thinking of her own. Seungwan is not only their friend but she did save her and Yerim once. Just because one bad mistake happen does that mean they all stop being friends. Joy isn’t sure what’s going to happen. She leads the way to the boat and they set sail for the cave.

 

“Hey, so whatever happens, Seul. Yerim and I are both with you.”

 

“Thanks, guys. I really appreciate everything.” The shapeshifter thanks everyone for all they’ve done for her since this whole thing started. She leans over to kiss Joohyun’s cheek and whispers her thanks to her girlfriend. Joohyun was terrified of her but she proved that she loved her more than her fear. It meant a lot to Seulgi to know Joohyun loved her that much. It means a lot to have amazing friends in Joy and Yerim.

 

Seungwan was swimming nervously around the cave. She just knows her friends will be coming today to talk to her. The mermaid takes a few deep breaths to settle her nerves. She hopes she’s not going to lose any of her friends. She really wished that she could have found some way to reverse the curse. Seungwan sighs and swims back to her favorite spot. Her doppelgänger swims over to her.

 

“Are you okay?” She asks.

 

“Yes, I’m fine. I’m just nervous to see them, especially Seulgi. I don’t want her to hate me. She’s a very good friend.”

 

“Maybe, Seul will understand. You didn’t intend any harm.”

 

The mermaid smiles sadly. She hopes that Seulgi won’t be angry enough to end their friendship. Seungwan can still remember when she was first introduced to Seulgi.

 

(Flashback)


 

Seungwan was so excited that Joy and Yerim were coming for a visit. It had been years since she had seen them since they both spend most of their time in the human world. She made the cave as festive as she could with bright lights and refreshments of sorts that Joy would probably like such as champagne she found simply drifting at sea.

 

“Hi, guys!” She shouts when she spots the boat coming toward her. Yerim groans and covers her ears. Joy waves to her and she sees a pretty monolid girl who she knows isn’t a human.

 

“Inside voice, fish!” The vampire shouts.

 

“Aww…” Seungwan grins. “I’m not a fish, Yerimie.”

 

“Don’t call me Yerimie.”

 

“Anyway, let’s not fight.” Joy speaks. “Yerim and I wanted to introduce you to a friend of ours. Seungwan this is Seulgi. Seulgi this is Seungwan.”

 

“Hi,” Seulgi smiles warmly. “It’s nice to meet you, Seungwan. I’ve never met a mermaid before.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you too, Seulgi. Can I ask what sort of supernatural being you are?” She has an idea but she doesn’t want to say unless she’s wrong.

 

“I’m a shapeshifter. I can shift into animals at will.”

 

“Oh…” the mermaid nods. “That’s amazing, I've never met a shapeshifter before. Ah, I must sing to you my 950 verse song!”

 

“No!” The vampire shouts. “We heard it before when it was the 500 verse. We don’t need to hear it again!”

 

“But, I’ve always sung for new people. You and Joy got to hear my song. Seulgi is going to be a new friend too, right? Maybe she would like to hear.”

 

The witch sighs. “Well, Seul. Yerimie and I had to suffer through it, you might as well too.”

 

“Suffer through it?” Seulgi repeats.

 

“Wonderful, I will sing for you all!”

 

“Joy, kill me!”

 

“You’re already dead, baby!”

 

Seulgi chuckles at the two who are simply looking in between scared and horrified. Surely, it can’t be that bad right?

 

(End)


 

Seulgi had listened to her entire song and praised her voice after. Seulgi was kind in ways she hadn’t ever known before. Seulgi was such a good friend too. The mermaid hopes that she can explain and salvage their friendship as well.

 

“They’re going to be coming soon.” Her clone speaks.

 

Seungwan nods. “Yeah, they’re going to be coming soon.”


 

A/N: Hey, so I could have wrote more but I don’t know this feels like enough in a way. Seulgi and Seungwan will talk it out next chapter. Yerim and Joy are a thing. Yerim definitely thinks mermaids are fish and nothing can change her mind about that. Hope you all liked this chapter!