12 Years of Hating

12 years of waiting

When Yoona was 4 years old, she liked seeing this one girl in her kindergarten. Her 6 year old cousin kept telling her to talk to her and she did. So, she found out who the girl was. 

Her name was Soojung and Yoona finds it cute. They talked and played around at the playground. She then met Krystal groups of friend and Yoona realised something... 

She doesn't like how close that llama was with Soojung. Sure, her name's Amber and Soojung herself calls her 'I like making her do things for me' or in simpler terms,  her servant but Yoona wants to do more than that. She wants to spoil her but she doesn't know how. 

-

On February 12 when Yoona was 5 years old, she asked for Taeyeon's help on how to make Soojung spend time with her more than Amber before she moved with her dad to another kindergarten next month. Taeyeon just labelled that as 'childish jealousy' and the younger girl just threw a fit cause that wasn't helping. 

"You know Yoong, you can always make chocolates with her. Let's just wait till dad's home and we'll buy some ingredients to make one."

Somehow, for a 5 year old, making chocolate isn't something that they'll do for someone they care about but for Yoona, if that's how she's going to make Krystal spend more time with her, then she will. 

February 13, Yoona and Taeyeon baked chocolates for Valentines. Yoona wondered why Taeyeon made some extra if they only intended to give enough for Soojung. 

"Well, we have a custom in school where we make chocolates on Valentines day and pass it around class. I'm giving mine to... Jecica? Jeshika? That's what her name sounds like." Yoona can only nod for now until she realised 2 years late that her older cousin wanted to make one for the Ice Princess in her grade.

February 14 is considered as Yoona's most disliked date in the calendar ever since she was 5. She doesn't hate it cause that is a strong word but she does not want anything to do with that date. It was crystal clear in her mind how the day went. She went to school feeling nervous with the chocolate in her Mickey Mouse bag. She saw Krystal sitting at her group's table talking to her friends. Yoona is also one of them but she sat at a different table, with her food loving buddy and fellow prankster. 

She approached her cautiosly, stepping closer and closer as her tiny heart raced inside of her. Krystal noticed her fellow friend and gave a small wave, making the small heads to look at Yoona. "Soojungie, this is some chocolates that me and my cousin made. Hope you like them and Happy Valentine's Day"

Krystal smiled from the small purple box that she received and gave Yoona a big hug, making the slightly older girl smile. "Thank you, Yoongie. I'll eat them with my fwens."

Yoona shook her head and scratched the back of her head. "You can share it but I like it more of you eat most of it youself."

Krystal just looked at her and nod in agreement. 

Yoona felt something popping in her heart as she sat back to her place, waiting for her cousin to pick her up once school is done to tell her how she accepted her chocolates and how she'll be the only one having them. However, not everything goes well when she was coming home from school when Taeyeon picked her up. 

Waving goodbye to her fellow seatmate, she held in Taeyeon's hand that leads her to her father's car. As she walked, she saw Amber and Krystal waiting for their parents to pick them up. Krystal was looking for something in her bag while Amber was eating something brown. Yoona squinted her eyes to get a better look on what she was eating and she felt her heart drop when she saw the colour purple in her hands. 

Amber was eating the chocolates she and Taeyeon made for Krystal. 

And there was Amber eating the whole chocolate by herself.

Yoona never felt anymore broken in her 5 years of living and she left the kindergarten with a proper goodbye and passing of address to her seatmates. 

Cause they were the ones that Yoona finds as important.

-

During her primary school years, she still disliked Valentine's. Whenever the class decided to do gift exchange on that fateful day, Yoona would only give her to the teachers. She does get some cards and gifts from her classmates. She was grateful for the gift but the pain she has on that fateful date just made it seem less pleasant that others were happy when she's broken remembering what her 5 year old self felt. 

People would think that she was being childish but...

She gave them as something special to someone that she really cared and seeing someone else having it just hurts her cause it seems like Krystal doesn't appreciate it at all. 

And Yoona wholeheartedly believed that she cared.

Taeyeon tried to talk her on forgetting it but the poor 11 year old can't seem to move on.

-

When Yoona started middle school, February 14 has slightly changed for her as she'll receive some chocolates from her classmate. Not that she's complaining that she gets free food from her friends. However, when a girl from the class next door confessed her feelings on that same day, Yoona was, after a while, had her heart beating faster than usual. 

The girl was Seo Juhyun but everyone calls her Seohyun, good looking and all those features that makes her beautiful. She was stuck whether she should give it a chance or not. Telling the girl that she'll think about it, Yoona sighed a breath of relief. 

She talked on this with her cousin, who she now lives with as her father has business outside of Korea. Taeyeon scratched her non itchy scalp and gave Yoona her honest opinion that this was a chance for her to move on from her 8 years of heartbreak, not that it changed the way the girl behaves but February 14 has always been a day where Yoona seems off. 

Other than already dating with Krystal's older sister, Taeyeon doesn't know how long she'll have to hide the fact from Yoona. 

"Anyway, Taeng Hyung, how's your relationship with Sica unnie? Stabil yet?"

And all Taeyeon can do was a simple shook of her head as she herself know how overly friendly her girlfriend is and it rises that ugly feeling inside of her that Jessica's too clingy with her group of friends. 

"It's hard to date the queen bee when the whole school population doesn't know Yoong."

And all Yoona can give was a few nods of agreement.

-

By March 14 of the same year, Yoona gave Seohyun her answer in the form of her special homemade hot chocolate. "Hope you love hot chocolate Miss Seo cause I'll be your date."  

And from there on, the whole school went wild when the well-known elementary school kid started going out with Miss President herself. 

Everything somehow felt right but at the same time, it didn't feel that 'exciting' for Yoona.

Nor was it exciting for Taeyeon when Jessica kept rejecting her offers on hanging out as the girl's too busy being a smart .

-

February 14 when Yoona was starting her life as a 16 year old, both Seohyun and Yoona decided to end what they had. It wasn't like they made things official but they know there was something between them. 

And one of the main reason why they broke it off was due to their conflicted taste in food. 

And both of them can't live with how the other eats. As sad as it is to break things up from someone, both of them decided to stay as close friends. 

That was somewhat good news but it didn't change the fact that when she was 15, Yoona met Krystal again. Luckily they weren't classmates cause Yoona does not know how to confront her eventhough it's been 10 years.

And still, those 10 years of heart ache.

It's not like she doesn't know what Krystal has been doing so far as she finally, yes, finally know that the girl Taeyeon's dating is her older sister. 

But that still does not change the fact of how she felt for her. 

Longing with a slight pain. 

-

February 14 when she was 17, she still received some chocolates from people but when she opened her locker with a small note slipped inside. 

'Meet me at the school rooftop during lunch

 -JSJ'

Racking her brain to who the initials belong to, Yoona just scratched her non itchy nape and just wait till lunch came.

However, she didn't realized that the person with the initials were looking at her from afar. 

-

Reading the note as she walked up the stairs, Yoona looked around to see who was waiting for her there. 

And blame her slow brain that she can't link the dots of who the initials belong to.

Jung Soojung. Maybe cause she thought it was KJS but still, it's a surprise to see the girl there.

"Hey."

"Uh.. hey?"

Just from that one sentence, Yoona felt herself suffocating. Krystal looks pretty and made her startstruck. She felt her heart pacing faster than usual. It's either from the pain from 12 years ago or she just fell in love from the first sight.

Just like how her foolish five year old self did. 

Krystal walked closer to where Yoona was standing, hand rubbing her elbow, not knowing how to say. 

"You didn't tell me that you were moving when we were 5."

"It just seemed like you didn't care."

"But I do care. I was crying, as embarassing as it sounds like, when you weren't present at school for a week until the teacher said that you moved."

"Maybe I think you would if you didn't let that llama ate the chocolates I gave you on Valentine's Day."

"Yoongie, Amber was an idiot when she ate those when I specifically told her to eat anything in my bag OTHER THAN my chocolates. I thought you hated me when you started ignoring me. I was 5, Yoona."

Yoona sighed and scratched her non-itchy temple. "Okay, halfly my fault but Soojung, my heart was broken. For 12 years, my heart ached."

Krystal moved closer and rested her head on the deer's shoulder. "Mine was too. I fell in love with this girl when I was 5 and being the spoilt princess I am, I took that for granted. And gosh, it took me 12 years to find that person back and just cling to her like how I was when I was 5."

"You were clingy to Amber and Victoria." Yoona wrapped her arms around the slightly shorter girl's waist. 

"But I like to cling to this one person if she just spent more time with me."

Yoona hummed. 

"I still like you, Soojung and I don't know if that's a bad thing or a good thing."

Krystal just took in the warmth that she received from Yoona and melt into it. "It's a good thing, stupid. Cause my stupid loves me back."

"I'm whipped when it comes to you."

"And I ing love it."

Yoona smiled from the answer and kissed her forehead, feeling the pain in her fading away slowly.

February 14 was also when Yoona got that feeling back.

Loving someone. And that someone was Jung Soojung.


Taeyeon has been celebrating Valentine's with Yoona but now seeing that the girl has a girlfriend, maybe she should too. 

Those time when she didn't celebrate it with Jessica, she made some cards on that day and saved a part of her allowance till the day she celebrates Valentine's with her friendly fashionista.

Jessica, however, already made plans with Irene to go to a fashion event that was on that same day too. It has always been like that. Taeyeon spent it with Yoona with ice cream and B rated movies and there was Jessica, splurging herself as much as she can.

They were so contrasting to one another that Taeyeon wondered, what did Jessica meant when she said she loved her? She doesn't know herself. 

Walking to the gift store to buy that over sized teddy bear, Taeyeon was accompanied by Sunmi as the girl knows fashion and would likely know what suits her taste. 

"You sure Jessica won't get mad?"

"Please, she's been spending more times with her friends rather than me and with this, I just hope she'll spend more time with me."

Both of them enjoyed each other's company to celebrate Valentine's Day for single people, Sunmi of course, and played around the mall like the idiots they were. 

However, Taeyeon didn't know where was the event that Jessica went to and well...

It was in the same mall. 

And Jessica saw how her girlfriend was having fun with some other girl. That boils her blood and she pulled Irene to tell her that after the event,

They need some drinks.

-

"Is your sister home?"

Krystal answered with a shook of her head. Taeyeon sighed and gave her gift to Krystal. "Just put it in your sister's room since I can't stay long. Yeri's alone at home.

Yeri was Yoona's younger sibling who Taeyeon loves to dot on. Waving goodbye, Taeyeon left the confused younger girl with her humongous present. 

-

"KRYSTAL, WHY IS THERE A STUFFED A BEAR ON MY BED?!"

And the younger girl slowly walked to where her sister was. "It's a Valentine's Day present from Tae oppa."

"Taengoo?! Please, she spent it with someone else in FRONT of me."

Scratching her scalp, Krystal took some of Yoona's habit. "Unnie, please. You spent nearly every Valentine's with someone else so... what's wrong if she spent it with some friends?"

"It's a mutual agreement-"

"That does not exist anymore since Yoona's dating me. You should really think back unnie on how Tae oppa felt."

"How come you're calling her oppa?"

"Cause she is one. Night-"

And before Jessica reply, Krystal was already in the comfort of her bed. 

Sighing, Jessica took one of the cards that Taeyeon gave and read them. Smiling with how cheesy her girlfriend is, Jessica kept reading the content of the card and felt her tears b.

"I still love you, you idiot..."

Jessica then fell asleep with the bear that Taeyeon bought for her. 

-

On March 9, Taeyeon's birthday, people were congratulating her and also bought presents for her, mostly her fangirls. However, she received the surprise of her life when Jessica Jung sat on her laps at the cafeteria just to kiss her in public.

"What was that for?"

"Birthday present and well... I hate when your fans doesn't know me" Jessica whispered in Taeyeon's eyes, all eyes on them. 

"Like your friends weren't that close."

"And now I'm letting them know that my daddy doesn't like it."

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow and lifted Jessica away from the staring eyes and whispered in her ear as they reached a secluded room. "Valentine's Day is a day for us."

Jessica nod before pulling the girl to ravish her lips again.

And Taeyeon spent her February 14 with Jessica. Under the sheets.

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

I was getting sleepy as I wrote the Taengsic part but hey, here's the Valentine fic no one asked for.