Chapter 2

Rule the World

The two were different. They knew it from the very beginning. Yet, here they stood in front of each other as if it was perfectly normal. The way their hands laced together so naturally, the intense gaze that no one can interrupt; it felt so right.

But, it wasn’t.

In his world, there were diamonds and gold surrounding him. Never in his life did he have to move a finger in order to get something he wanted. Girls flocked over him as soon as they as much glanced at him. Men feared and respected him for his skills and intimidating reputation.

In her world, there were only sweat and tears. Everything she wanted or needed, she had to work for it. If she didn’t, then it was only a hopeless dream.

She dealt with the monsters of reality on a daily basis, while he sat on the comfort of his grand throne.

Their paths should’ve never crossed yet it did.

 

It was a Wednesday.

Wednesday was the day when she only had one job in the afternoon and then she could go straight home and rest. Jimin sighed, she needed the rest badly. Plus, she had some laundry that was demanding her attention since the beginning of this week. She entered the tall glass building and politely greeted the workers coming out. Walking towards the front desk, the girl made her way behind the table and quickly went to the backroom to place her things down and clock in.

“So, anything interesting happened yet?” she greeted her co-worker, Ayeon. She’s been with this job longer than Jimin, something that the older girl always liked to remind the other (although it was just a measly three months more, but Jimin bit her tongue).

Ayeon shook her head with a look of disappointment. “Maybe it’s too early. I heard there was a meeting yesterday that lasted till the midnight so only a few of the workers came in on time.”

“Hopefully it happens soon or else I’m gonna fall asleep,” Jimin grumbled as she took her seat among the two chairs behind the counter. She fixed her bangs slightly so it could rest more comfortably on her face.

This job was one of her easier ones, but it was also the one she hated most. There wasn’t much to do and it reminded her too much of what she hated. It was all pretend smiles and greetings, nothing more than just empty exchanges. It’s so vacant and distant; it was the business world that she always dreaded but she can’t quit, especially not in this economy. She needed the money. The pay wasn’t bad and it helped fill in the gap that her other job wasn’t able to give her.

Jimin just needed to breath. She needed to control herself for four hours and then she could just go home. Home sweet home.

Jimin ended up zoning out while she was twirling the black pen in her hand and failed to hear the clustering sound of steps entering the building. It wasn’t until she felt the nudge of Ayeon’s foot did she immediately stand up and ready to greet whoever was passing by. She caught sight of the group of males clad in the typical business suit. Walking in the middle, however, was a male who did not look as old as the others and stood out visually, something he probably did unintentionally. Instead of dressing in a business suit, he wore a navy blue, white-striped button-up with black slacks - his sleeves rolled up to display his Rolex as if the Gucci shoes he wore didn’t yell “wealthy” quite enough. The aura surrounding him exuded control and charisma that Jimin felt herself almost shiver at the sight of him. His eyes were cold though, and she already decided she didn’t like him.

“Welcome,” she greeted in unison with Ayeon.

The males were unfazed by the loud greeting and continued to talk amongst each other without giving a slightest bit of acknowledgement their way. Jimin always hated this part about her job. She unfolded herself from her bow and tried to keep a professional smile on her face. She looked on at the group of males. The younger male was still in the middle and listening to the older workers talk to him, his face seemingly look disinterested but nodded anyways to whatever the other was saying.

Then, their eyes locked.

His cold distant eyes met her gaze and she froze. To mask her shock, she tilted her head with the smile still on her face. She expected him to simply look away from her and mind his own business, just like everyone else. Instead, she watched as a small smirk curved onto his thin lips. Jimin wasn’t sure if she was imagining when it disappeared and was replaced back with the same cold expression as before. The males shuffled into the elevator and when the doors closed, Jimin sat back down onto her chair. Ayeon started to rant about the behavior of the males, but Jimin wasn’t listening. She could only repeat that smirk in her mind.

Was he mocking her? But, why did she almost see a sparkle in his icy eyes?

She couldn't figure it out. She knew though that the twisting in her stomach is telling her to keep away from him and that’s what she decided.

The thought was pointless; everything goes his way in this world after all.


Short update just because its the introduction;; I promise the future updates will be longer and have more detail so the plot is less confusing (I"M SORRY). I just finished my quarter and on break so I'm hoping I can write as much as possible before I go back to that hellhole. Anyways, thanks for being patient and I hope I see you guys in the next update!