Prologue

The Sharp Knife of a Short Life

December 2019

They slowly made their way toward the stage, accepting congratulatory hugs and kisses from the throngs of family, friends, fellow artists, music executives, and other attendees at this, The Golden Disc Awards, the last and most prestigious of the annual music awards shows. They were receiving not just the usual slew of awards in recognition of their latest phenomenally successful, and last, studio album “FINAL”, but also a special award in recognition of the 10th anniversary of Sorry, Sorry, a song that changed the history of pop music around the world.

The screams from fans and friends alike were deafening as they climbed the steps to the stage, forming a semi-circle around the presenters and making room for Leeteuk, their leader, to be at the center to accept the trophies. When they had started on this journey some 14 years ago, they were in their late teens and early 20s and never in their wildest imaginations did they ever dream that they would be standing here as grown men in their 30s who were the most successful group in the history of Asian pop music. It speaks volumes to their popularity that the show was being broadcast live around Asia, not just in South Korea. They had announced beforehand that this show, this appearance, would be the last time that they would be Super Junior. After tonight, that name will live only in history, in myth, in legend. They had made that promise to each other so long ago, and they were going to keep the promise.

Leeteuk graciously accepted the trophies, handing each of the 4 awards to those nearest him: Heechul was already bawling, tears running freely down his cheeks as he gently held onto the first trophy for Album of the Year, or the Disc Daesang. Hangeng’s stoic face was betrayed by the anguish in his eyes as he cradled the trophy for Song of the Year. Kangin took the 3rd trophy, for Artist of the Year, and clung to it for dear life. And Yesung held the last trophy, for Producer of the Year, as if it were made of gold, his dark black sunglasses masking his emotions to the world. For his part, Leeteuk gently took the diamond-encrusted Baccarat Crystal Record Disc and held it up for everyone to see. The initials SJ were etched into the center of the disc, bordered on the top and bottom with the words Sorry Sorry. He could also see their names, 15 names in all, etched in Korean, English, and Chinese around the edges.

He had prepared a speech for this very moment, with every intention of thanking everyone who had ever helped them on the road to success. The speech stayed inside his left tuxedo’s pocket. Instead, as he looked left and right, up and down at his fellow bandmates, his brothers, he realized that there was nothing he could say that would do this moment justice. Instead, he simply bowed, and his brothers bowed with him. And then, for the final time, they gave their Super Junior greeting, hands outstretched, but this time eyes towards the heavens. For a long moment, the hall was silent, and then it erupted in thunderous applause as the 14 men left the stage for the last time as Super Junior.