Scared to be Lonely (WenRene)

ReVel Minibook
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yeah, another WenRene story. It's just something short my fatigued brain whipped out. I started and ended the story with different states of minds so pardon the characters' discrepancies if you find any.

 

Inspired by Martin Garrix & Dua Lipa's Scared to be Lonely.

 

 

Wendy lightly stirred the glass in her hand and scoffed when another EDM music played loudly from the speakers again. Of course, Wendy liked moving her body to a good bop (or bod) but she had been there for an hour and everything was just noisy now and she was starting to get dizzy. The spiralling disco lights felt especially glaring tonight and Wendy blinked her eyes rapidly, trying to clear her vision.

 

Flashes of memories from the past that she tried so hard to bury was creeping at the edges of her mind again and she shook her head a little, trying to chase them away. Unfortunately, a guy took it as a sign that she was too drunk to function and started to inch a little too close for comfort before

 

Normally, Wendy would not mind using another stranger to drown her loneliness but there was something about tonight that suffocated her to the core and she slowly started to scan her surrounding as she mindlessly nodded to the lad’s rambles. Her eyes caught the sight of a woman with long raven hair sitting alone downing shots after shots as the bartender behind the counter glanced worriedly at her every once in a while.

 

When Wendy locked eyes with the bartender, Yeri, the girl standing behind the counted flitted her eyes momentarily at the drunk woman before looking back at Wendy. In a flash, Wendy understood what Yeri was asking of her. She had known Yeri for quite a while now; she frequented the bar a little too often these past few months and had always struck conversation with the young girl. Yeri was like her own younger sister at this point and she knew what Yeri wanted her to do.

 

Escape. Yeri was offering her an escape.

 

Wendy took the line being thrown by Yeri and strode to the bar where the woman was, leaving behind the man who called out for her. She yelled something about helping a drunk friend out over the loud music and quickly slung the drunk woman’s arm over her shoulder, using it as a support as she lead them both out of the club. From the corner of her eyes, she could see Yeri nodding thankfully at her before resuming her bartending duties.

 

They safely got out of the club – Wendy with her almost unconscious stranger. Wendy had half a mind to just ditch the woman but she knew Yeri would not be too happy with her if she did that. With a heavy heart, she turned to look at the woman she carried out of the bar and was surprised at the sight greeting her.

 

She was ethereal. If someone said a goddess was walking on Earth and they pointed at the woman, Wendy would have believed them. For a moment, Wendy was stunned but when she came to her senses, she cursed a little. She lightly slapped the woman’s cheek, trying to wake her up and when the stranger started groaning, Wendy did not waste time.

 

“Miss, where do you live? Would you like me to call a cab for you?”

 

The woman who was slowly coming to consciousness pulled her hand from Wendy’s hold and bent over. Wendy stepped back a little, wary that the woman might vomit at any time but after a few dry heaves and coughing bouts, the woman seemed to be more sober although her eyes were red and she sported a miserable look on her face.

 

“Did you help me out of the club? I’m sorry, I don’t usually drink this much. It’s a wonder that I’m still not drunk honestly.”

 

Wendy shrugged, not bothering to explain to the stranger that she was technically looking to escape a pursuer as well. “Do you want me to call someone for you so that you can get home, miss?”

 

“Irene. Please call me Irene. Home…” Irene hesitated before she walked closer to Wendy. “Look, do you know a place I can go to sleep? I don’t feel like going home right now.”

 

Stranger request. Wendy tilted her head as she studied the woman before her. This is a full grown adult, alright. Not a teenager running away from home. Wendy sighed and took out a keycard.


“Here, this is a key for a hotel nearby. You can sleep in my room tonight and I’ll head home.”

 

Irene stared at the keycard before looking questioningly

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter