Chapter 2

Not One But Three

  Seohyun put a jug of Orange juice. Seohyun’s eyes stare at Yoona and Haknyeon’s chair. Al this time, the four of them will ate together but not tonight just the two of the only. Empty! Seohyun sigh slowly.

“Seohyunnie, Waeyo?” Ask Jihoon. She heard Seohyun’s sigh just now.

“It looks like this week we will just eat together with the two of us only.” Seohyun sit down. Her hand reaches the jug and pours it into 2 glasses in front of her.

“Do you think Omma and Haknyeonnie already reach or not, Unnie?” Jihoon eye the clock in the kitchen.

“Maybe not yet. Even if they reach there, Haknyeonnie will call,” Said Seohyun.

“Do you think Omma still mad at us?” ask Jihoon. She’s afraid if Yoona mad at them yesterday. This is the first time they argue about this.

“I don’t know. But Omma told me, she accept our decision,” Said Seohyun. When she sent Yoona and Haknyeon to the airport, Yoona didn’t speak at all, just told them to take care each other. That’s it.

“Aaa… Are you eaten yet or not?” Ask someone suddenly.

Seohyun and Jihoon shock when there is someone speaks to them. Their eyes point at a woman who is the same age as their mother who is laughing.

“Aish… Aunt Sooyoung! You almost make me have a heart attack.” Seohyun rub her chest because of the surprise. Aunt Sooyoung is their mother bestfriend and also a business friend which open a restaurant by Yoona at Los Angeles since 14 years ago.

“What magic did you use to enter this house without we know?” ask Jihoon.

“I already knock the door but nobody responds at all. I become worry; I use the key that your mother gave before she left. She asks me to take care they both of you when she’s gone.

“Ouh, Aunty... We already big enough. Our age is almost 25 already. We know how to take care of ourselves. You don’t need to worry, Aunty. Seohyun is smile.

“Hmmm… So, what’s for dinner? Ask Sooyoung.

“Fried Rice!” Answer Jihoon while holds the plate that full of fried rice that she cook just now. Still hot.

“Just fried rice?” Sooyoung is surprise.

“Yeah. Then what should we cook then? Ask Seohyun confuse.

“Cook any dish. Eh, aren’t both of you know how to cook?

“Eh… EH…Aunt Sooyoung, Don’t see us with just one eye. We are the daughter of a chef. If we didn’t know how to cook, our mother reputation will drop. All kind of food we know how to cook. You just said it.” Said Seohyun.

“How many people are there right now in this house, Aunty?’ Ask Jihoon suddenly.

“2 people, Answer Sooyoung.

“Yes, that’s right.2 people. If we cook many kind of food, who will eat it with just the two of us. So, we cook fried rice that is simple. Smile Jihoon.

“The way you talk is like you’re in the court.”Sooyoung make faces.

Seohyun giggle when Sooyoung said that.

“Sorry, Aunty! I got carried away.” Jihoon stand to take an empty plate on top of shelf.

“I know you are a lawyer. I speak one word, you attack with thousands words.”Sooyoung shake her head. Jihoon is talkative person. Perfect with her job as a lawyer.

“Since Aunty is here, why don’t you join us for dinner together? At least, you got to taste our cooking. You always taste Omma’s cooking, right? Said Seohyun push the empty plate towards Sooyoung.

“I’m okay, with it… Hmmm… I want to ask something. Why aren’t both of you went back with Omma and Haknyeonnie to Korea visit your father at the hospital? Sooyoung watch them both. They both become quiet when Sooyoung ask that question.

Yoona is right. When talk about their father, their attitude become different. The scene becomes quiet. Seohyun and Jihoon become silent.

“It’s up to you both. I’m too lazy to speak now. Now, why aren’t you gave me the fried rice? Said Sooyoung who is trying to change topic.

“I thought you are full already…” Seohyun spoke.

“Full… When chat with you both, my energy drain…Jihoon, where’s the water? Ask Sooyoung.

“Wait…”Jihoon stand and went to take a glass for Aunt Sooyoung. Sooyoung is smile. What happened to both of you? Hard head and stubborn. Too sensitive when the topic is about their father. Sooyoung watch 2 ladies who are now 25 years old.

Time fly fast, Sooyoung remembered when the three of them were born. Yoona is strong to take care three of her child without the help from the beloved ones especially her own husband.

“Aunty, are you dreaming again?” tease Jihoon.

Sooyoung shock when Jihoon talk. She smiles when Jihoon and Seohyun laugh… Have Yoona arrive yet or not?

= = = = = =

Tiffany opens the door room. She sees that Yoona is still stand outside the room. From the Incheon Airport, they went straight to the hospital. Haknyeon looks at her mother.

“Unnie… Yoona Unnie, what’s wrong?” ask Tiffany full of questions.

“Ah… Nothing,” answer Yoona. She takes a deep breath and let it out slowly. She needs some strength right now.

By the time she arrives in front of a door, her feet suddenly feel heavy. Her heartbeats become rapid faster to see someone who had been cruel to her for 26 years ago. Seeing her husband, the memories flash at her mind.

“Omma, don’t worry. Haknyeonnie is here beside you.” Haknyeon understand what her mother is thinking. Haknyeon holds her mother’s hand. Cold!

“Unnie!” call Tiffany again.

Yoona nod her head. Slowly, she went inside the room. Her eyes look at a man laying on a bed. Yoona become near to the bed. Her tears start to pool at her eyes when she sees her husband. Seeing her husband with wires around her husband’s body makes her sad.

Haknyeon wipes her tears many times. She still can’t believe that she actually seeing her father for the first time.

“Seunggi Oppa had asks me something. He asks me to find unnie. He wants to apologies to you. He feels sorry for what he had done to you. He will do anything for you to forgive him,” told Tiffany.

“I never hold grudge towards Seunggi Oppa. What had happened, I already forget about it and I already forgave him. We not destiny anymore,” Yoona said softly. Her tears are still dripping.

“You! Your entire mistake, I already forgave. If I’ve ever makes mistakes too, I’m sorry.” Yoona try to stop her tears.

“Omma!”

“Haknyeon, come here and see your Appa,” said Yoona.

Haknyeon touch her father’s hand. ”Appa! This is Haknyeon. You must be surprise to see me in your live, right. Even thought, we can’t see each other to know each other but I’m still happy that I’ve got to see you. We are sorry, Appa.” Haknyeon cry hard. She holds her father’s hand.

Suddenly, Haknyeon remember her twin sisters. Haknyeon surprise that her father’s hand start to move.

“Omma!” Haknyeon looks at her mother. Yoona and Tiffany shock seeing Lee Seunggi has opens his eyes and watch them. His eyes see Yoona. His lips tremble trying to said something.

Yoona is shock.

“Unnie... I’ll go call the doctor for a while!” said Tiffany and went out to find Dr. Sunwoo.

“Appa!” Haknyeon is still crying. She holds her father’s hand.

Lee Seunggi sees a young lady next to him. His eyes didn’t even blink seeing the lady. Almost like Yoona. The lady’s eyes… Lee Seunggi then watches Yoona. He wants to say something but it got stuck.

With fast action, Yoona holds Haknyeon’s hand and pull Haknyeon from holding Lee Seunggi.

“Haknyeonnie, let go!” fierce Yoona.

“But Omma, Appa is now awake,” said Haknyeon. She puzzles with her mother attitude.

“Let’s go back! It’s no use we stay here. Let’s go! This is not our place.” Yoona hold her daughter’s arm and drag her out of the room. Haknyeon follow her mother instruct. Before they went out, she watches her father. She then follows her mother’s steps.

--

Haknyeon close the Volkswagen Polo door slowly. She looks at her mother beside her. He mother face look pale.

“Omma, are you okay?”

But there is no responds from her mother.

“Omma!” Haknyeon holds her mother’s hand. Cold!

Yoona is surprise when Haknyeon hold her hand.

“Omma! Are you sick?” Haknyeon worry.

“I’m fine.”

“But…”

“I’m fine.” Yoona try to hide her scares that had buried inside her. She shock when Lee Seunggi suddenly awake from the coma. The looks of Lee Seunggi towards her making her whole body shiver. Her haunted memories hunt her mind. What had Lee Seunggi do to her that makes her feel unsafe. She afraid that he will do like the last time.

“Omma.” Haknyeon is weird about her mother. Yoona is not in her mind right now. Her mother’s face looks serious.

“Omma…” call Haknyeon again.

“Yes.”

“Are you sure, you’re okay?”

“Yes!” said Yoona. Yoona hold both of her hands tightly. She try to get some strengthens that suddenly disappear. It looks like I’m still not strong enough to face him. I thought I’m strong enough but no, tell her.

“Omma…”

“Let’s go back to the hotel.”

“But Appa...”

“We will visit him other time after the situation is in stable state. I don’t want to make the situation become harsh. I’m tired. I want to have a rest at the hotel.” Yoona close her eyes. She doesn’t want Haknyeon to ask more questions.

“Alright.” Haknyeon agree. She starts the engine of the car. Volkswagen Polo leaves the place in fast.

==

Sooyoung puts her keys on a table. She looks around the living room. Quiet. Must be my husband is not back yet. Kihyun and Sunny are not back from their college yet.

Suddenly, her phone rings, with fast action Sooyoung receive the call.

“Hello!”

“Sooyoung….”

“Yoona…” Sooyoung tones become bright after hearing her best friend’s voice.

“How are you?”

“I’m fine as always. What about you? How’s your husband’s condition? Have you seen him yet?” Sooyoung ask. She walks towards her brown sofa. She really wants to know what happen. In reality, she doesn’t like Yoona went seeing that man but until when Yoona want to run away? Like it or not, Yoona have to solve the problem.

Yoona let a heavy sigh.

“Why, Yoona? Are your husband dead already? Ask Sooyoung when she heard the sigh.

“No. Are you nuts? He already wakes from his coma.” Answer Yoona softly. After this, what will happen then? Yoona feel lost.

“Really, that’s great… But why your tone likes you dislike your husband awake.” Sooyoung realize something had happened.

“No! I feel grateful when he awake… But I don’t know what will happen after this, Younggie. I feel scare. What he had done before, I still can’t forget about it.” Yoona hold her left arm that sudden shiver.

“But, he didn’t know that you and Haknyeon are at Korea, right… You don’t have to worry about!”

“He saw me and Haknyeon, Younggie. Right now, he must know Haknyeon’s existence. I’m afraid, Younggie! I’m afraid if he tries to take away Seohyun, Jihoon and Haknyeon from me. I don’t have anyone else other than my children, Younggie.”

Yoona’s voice becomes panic. Her tears start pool at her eyes. The three of them are her life. If he takes away from her, she doesn’t have anything. She rather dies.

“Yoona, calm down! Don’t think negative. Nobody is going to take away them from you. Did you forget, Yoona? Your children are already grownups. They can think themselves. They know who take care of them for 25 years. In facts, you know Seohyun, Jihoon and Haknyeon behavior right? They never going to leave you,” said Sooyoung.

Yoona low her head. What happen to me?

“Thanks, Younggie! I’m too emotional just now. You are really my best friend… Whatever happens I will make sure to go on what I had decide. I will throw away my scare away before meeting him.”

Yoona had makes a decision. All days, she had been thinking. This is the best decision for all.

“What decision?” ask Sooyoung.

“I want him to let go of me. For these 26 years, we both make our ways. I can’t stand it. He already has a family… I’m just an outside people.”

Yoona hold tightly her Iphone 7. She tries to control her sadness. He heart is in pain.

“Yoona!” Sooyoung tone becomes week. She can feel what Yoona had gone through right now. Yoona’s love towards her husband will never fade even her husband had done to her.

“Yoona, if you like, I will accompany you there. I will book flight ticket tonight for early morning.”

“It’s okay, Younggie. I’m fine. I can go through this.

“Are you sure?”

“I’m sure… If you come here, who want to look after our restaurant? I will be here for a while here at Korea. After this resolve, I will go home.”

“Are Seohyun, Jihoon and Haknyeon knows your decision?” ask Sooyoung.

“Nope. They don’t know. I hope you keep this as a secret first. I will tell them when it’s time.”

“Fine… If anything happens just call me. Don’t keep it in your heart. You can call me anytime! Remember that…”

“Thank you, Younggie! You are my one and only best friend I have. You are always with me no matter what.”

“That’s what it call, friendship. You should rest. After what had happen, you must be tired, right? I will call you tomorrow.

“Thanks, Younggie.”

“You’re welcome, my friend. Bye!” said Sooyoung before ends the conversation.

Sooyoung bit her lip for awhile. She suddenly feels something is about to happen towards Yoona. She must been over thinking about it. Nothing will happen at Yoona. Sooyoung try to relax herself.