ooo Prologue: The Assassin

Destination in Mind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
  Prologue Prologue: The Assassin 

“I'd like to make a business proposition.” 
-- Mr. Byun

 

 

Dae had always been a hard worker, even at the age of fifteen— perhaps he didn’t think he had another choice. How could he, when he had the particularly straining task of wondering how else his family was going to eat, to drink, to live?

He hasn’t called his family poor since his neighbors got evicted and were thrown out to the streets (Eomma called them poor once and he didn’t want to jinx it), but he also doesn’t know a better word for sharing one bed with four people. All he really understands is that Ma needs more help than she likes to admit and the twins can barely dress themselves, so that leaves little time to spend worrying about things a boy his age might find interesting.

Instead, his mind was set to the monotonous labor of picking as much paper and plastic waste from the streets of Seoul as he could. 

If he gathers a couple more bins up today, the depot owner said she’d buy it for 20,000 won instead of 17,000, though Dae didn’t yet know that he would never make it to the depot in the first place. However, to his family that money was the difference between sharing two bowls of rice with a small bowl of soup and having a whole bowl of rice to themselves (the soup would still be shared), so he planned to meet the lady’s requirements.

Sometimes, if Dae brought the twins to the market with him, the Ajusshi behind the deli would sneak them some small sausages. The twins always make everyone’s pity meters (that’s what he calls the look of I want to help you, but I won’t) fly straight up though, so he doesn’t like to do it often in order to save whatever pride he has left.

The thought of any food to himself made Dae's stomach growl with a day’s old plea, his mouth to swell with an unquenchable thirst that even a full belly of water could no longer satisfy. When was the last time he ate a full portion, one a boy his size would find fitting? He wouldn’t be able to answer if asked. Maybe he had gotten too used to the intoxicating smell of beef fluttering down from the street carts that he felt more full than he actually was, though that could be a lie too. 

Dae wouldn’t forget the last time he had meat, he can still taste the poignant brisk of it, the fleshy bite. The twins had just turned two and Ma came home early with some slightly intimidating man three times Dae’s height. He bought them beef, and other things that Dae and the twins don’t remember, but Ma’s company never stayed long and he was no exception. Three years past left them with restless dreams of clenching teeth and protesting stomachs. He’s never gotten beef on his birthday and none of Ma’s other men have paid them any attention like Tall Man did, but he thinks one memory is enough. 

The pains were never too hard to disregard, not in the summer heat, any way. There on the streets, he had more than enough to keep himself busy. The Halmeoni downstairs agreed to teach him and the twins how to read if he did her shopping and cleaning; reading wasn’t really his thing, nor was shopping, but he thought the company and the kimchi she made was worth it at least.

His mother never asked where he went, but she seemed thankful for the money he brought home— a sentiment she never would lose, even after today. He wanted to ask her where she went when he came home and why the thin of her lips stayed sealed, but the smeared make-up that must have belonged to someone else and the foul, soured smell she always bore on her skin drove him away.

He was just thankful for when she looked at him, a small bend of gratitude falling upon her lips. He thought that too, was enough and would continue to remember her smile, even when he forgets everything else from this time. 

Dae reached his sweaty hand up to wipe his equally sweaty forehead clean, the salty mixture flinging onto the asphalt with a slick sizzle. The sun was beaming down now and he felt more tired than he had in a long while, perhaps it was all the thoughts of beef. It was only in the afternoon, if that— Dae still had a full day of work ahead of him— but the gurgling heat was penetrating in waves and his light head was spinning in a less than mesmerizing manner. He couldn’t help himself; he needed to rest. 

Laying down against the hot concrete, his eyes slowly shutting to shield themselves from the harsh sun, Dae didn't take notice to the sleek Cadillac parked around the corner or the particular, all eyes man who had been watching.

Dae was too tired, too concentrated on his family and his hunger for anything more, to know that the man had set his eyes upon him for some time now. He had been dissecting, carefully considering, coming to a quaking decision that felt like the faux comfort of needed attention.

The man, secretly satisfied and buzzing from the look of true potential, exited his sleek car to reveal his toned suit clad body, his eyes sharply zoned in on Dae's stil

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter