Waning crescent

Two moons
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Park Mi Hae

Moderation was what described the best Park Mi Hae's life. Her smart brain was the only thing not moderate in her life. Due to her intelligence she had success in her career and was proud of that. Her parents were modest, but through hard work they saved the money to send their dear daughter to school. Witnessing her parent's struggle, she was determined to change her relatively poor financial situation. It was like a thorn hit her heart every time she saw her parents reducing expenses to save money for her. They always assured her they were fine, but the glimpse of poverty was always there.

Mi Hae spent all her energy focusing on her goals. That is how she became first in her class. Ordinary interest that people her age had were no use, neither appealed her. She was often seen with older people, people she could actually learn something from. It is not as if she looked for easy ways to succeed, but she knew those were the people with most knowledge and experience.

Despite making acquaintance with all the professors, the dean was still out of her reach. Rumors were that he also owned a very successful business and that is why you could not see him easily around there. Getting over that inconvenient, Mi Hae studied further and finally had the chance to shine in front of the dean at an exam where she scored the best grade and amazed everybody with her skill. The dean invited her to his office and Mi Hae did not fall into illusion, he was sure keen to find if her grades really reflected her lore. After a few well-placed questions he was convinced and let her go, marking in his head a memo to keep an eye on her.

Mi Hae felt so relived after she exited the office. Taking a large breath she nearly jumped in the empty school. A moment of clumsiness caused her to trip and nearly fell on a young man passing by. It was one of the few magical moments in her life. In that moment she found the person who would have been her boyfriend the next 2 years. His name was Eric Num and the coincidence makes that he was the son of the dean. Of course, since the moment the two lovers made their relationship public, gossips started to spread. The dean himself was not very fond of Mi Hae, but did not involve nor encourage any alteration in her grades. Eric was a sweet man and protected Mi Hae from every bad word that came to his ears. Some of the rumors were true, nonetheless. Eric was the CEO of the company his father founded. Being young does not mean one is clueless in the business domain and Eric managed to maintain and even raise the company's profits. Everything has an end and nobody can have it all; those were the lessons Eric learnt when the economic crisis and a mischievous partner betrayed him. His business took everything away from him. His father even put some of his economies to help his son pay the debt.

Recalling the moments of struggle she experience because of her studies, the time to become more mature came for Mi Hae. And how can you become better if not through pain? Sure, she cared about Eric, but she also cared about herself and with a year of studies left, she knew the moments before the sunrise are the most difficult. She ended her relationship with Eric due to lack of stability. The outside world registered her as an opportunist and because Eric did not have the financial support he had earlier, she left him. But they knew the truth; Eric and Mi Hae were for that matter better friends than lovers. She remained friends both with Eric and his father and she realized what she truly wanted. Heartbreak was in her opinion, a small price to pay.

After two years, when she was doing her residency, she met her husband. It was a regular night out with her everlasting friend Kim Hyo Jin. They met Park Dong Wook near a bar. Mi Hae was hesitant in entering the bar, she needed rest, but Hyo Jin did not let go that easily. Hearing the discussion, Dong Wook did the bravest thing in his life and invited Mi Hae for a walk. The strange request was passed by Hyo Jin who was just happy to see someone interested in her friend. They took a walk and had a small talk, exchange numbers and later they met again. Whenever things got tiring, they would meet; it was as if they recharged their batteries from the comfortable silence and familiar energy betw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter