chapter 7 : churros to the rescue.

Homeless Boy // monsta x’s hyungwon

Minhee's POV

 

"Today's the last day of the festival. The place will be so packed." Joshua said as we were preparing the cafe for opening.

 

"I hope you guys are well prepared. I don't want to see anyone slacking off." I said as I look at Wonwoo.

"Minhee it was that one time, I fell asleep! I'm sorry." I laughed at him and shook my head.

 

  ~~~~🍰~~~~

 

" Minhee! Two plates of red velvet churros asap!" Vernon shouted infront of the pick up counter. It was currently 8 p.m. and customers weren't getting any lesser. I sighed. Ingredients were depleting as fast as my non-existent cash.

 

"Minggyu, how much churro batter do we have left?" I asked the tall man who was busy making chocolate and cream cheese dipping sauce.

 

"Only for like 2- 3 servings." He replied as he looked at me worriedly. Great, we're basically ed. Based on the orders, customers are here for desserts and not late dinner. 

 

"I'll have to go to the grocery store then. Anything else we running out for tonight?" I asked.

 

"BLUEBERRIES AND LEMONS!" Seungkwan shouted as he was making some waffles. 

 

"For the waffles I'm assuming?" I asked for confirmation. 

 

"Kimbap kidding? Of course!" He answered sassily. Alrighty then BooDiva.

 

"I'll be back soon. Just call me if Dino sets the cafe on fire again okay?" 

 

"HEY IT WAS AN ACCIDENT." 

 

"YOu almOst burned my precious hair off." Wonwoo spoke up from the coffee/drink table.

 

"Please, you'll look better bald." Seungkwan dissed. Oh burn. Dino laughed and high fived his hyung.

 

"Well Imma go before s going down." I took my handbag and left through the employee entrance/exit.

 

~~~~🍰~~~~

 

It's been less than an hour and we ran out of red food colouring and cream cheese. Customers are coming in just for the red velvet churros. 

 

"Should have told you to grab some cream cheese as well." Minggyu said after realising his stupid mistake.

 

"Wow ammajing, you screw us over Minggyu." Seungkwan said sarcastically. 

 

"Hey, no fighting kids." Joshua said as he exaggerated on the word 'kids'. 

 

"I'm not a kid!" Dino said as he crossed his arms. 

 

"Yeah sure you're not, you're basically a minor." Vernon spoke up.

 

"Oh hey Vernon. How's the customers looking?" I asked him. He just shook his head repeatedly. 

 

"There's this lady who wants the red velvet churros but I told her we ran out of it. She seems sad and kinda annoyed I guess." He explained.

 

"Oh, I'll handle it then." I said and entered the cafe's dining area. 

 

"Excuse me, I'm sorry but yes my co-worker has informed that the red velvet churros has ran out." I told the lady who looked like she was in her fifty's.

 

"Oh. I see, I wanted to try them because my son told me it was good." She said. Deng, I feel like I can't let her down now. I looked at Vernon who was standing beside me. He looked at me and shrugged his shoulders. 

 

"Maybe I can make some other kind of churro for you." I suggested to the lady. 

 

"You can do that? It would be nice, I don't mind as long as it's delicious." She just laughed and smiled brightly. What, a sweet lady, I thought.

 

~~~~🍡~~~~

 

"MINHEE WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO? WE CANT THINK OF A RECIPE OUT OF THE BLUE!" Seungkwan panicked as soon as I told the crew what happened. Minggyu and Wonwoo was not phased but was slightly alarmed. Dino on the other hand was busy making hot chocolate for the customers. 

 

"Let's not panic guys, we can think of something." Joshua said as he was carrying a box of nutella into the pantry. 

 

"Well, let's start by listing the ingredients we have left now." Vernon said. 

 

"Vanilla ice cream." Minggyu said as he checked the freezer.

 

"Well, we have a box of nutella." Joshua pipped from the pantry.

 

"Strawberries and bananas." Wonwoo listed out.

 

"And of course lemons and blueberries." Seungkwan said last.

 

"Oh ice cream, we need like a cone or something." Vernon suggested. 

 

"So like we go buy some now?" Minggyu stupidly asked. 

 

"Minggyu we do everything by scratch here." Seungkwan scoffed at the tall man.

 

"Why not just use the churros and make it into a shape or something." Dino said nochantly as he walked past us to put the dirty plates into the sink.

 

"Omg, so ammajing!" Seungkwan gushed at the idea.

 

"THATS A GOOD IDEA!" I screamed at Dino and gave him a hug.

 

"Um, you're welcome, nuna." Dino blushed. 

 

~~~~🍪~~~~

 

 

"This looks good." Joshua complimented at the dish we made.

 

"I know right, It looks so delicious." Vernon said as he did the last final touches.

 

"Who's going to serve it to the lady?" Wonwoo questioned.

 

"Obviously not you." Minggyu replied back. Wonwoo just glared at him.

 

"I will." Joshua answered and pick up the plate. 

 

"Don't die out there, come back safe." Minggyu joked. 

 

"I think my chances of survival is better out there than here with you guys." Joshua answered back. We all just laughed as Minggyu made a hurt face expression.

 

"It's really good! I never thought of such a idea. You should definitely make it for your menu." The lady complimented as she ate her dessert happily. It was vanilla ice cream inside of a cinnamon sugar churro cup and topped with Nutella, fresh strawberries and banana. It was really simple but great nonetheless.

 

"I'm glad that you enjoyed it." I smiled at her. 

 

"How much will this cost?" She asked me and I stop to think. The red velvet churros cost ₩10,000, but the ingredients were different, so I can't really tell.

 

"I think ₩10000 would be good. I can't fix a price right now since we did this spontaneously." I replied back.

 

"Well, then how bout I pay ₩20000 now and the change if there is, the next bill would be settled." She suggested. I nodded, it's a good idea, when she comes again and I figure out how much it would cost, the next bill would be covered.

 

"Okay then, that's fine with us." I replied back happily. This was the first time, I had a customer this brilliant and generous. She took out her  wallet and handed the money. As she did that, my eye caught the ring that was hung around her neck. It was really pretty, it was attached to a silver chain.

 

"That's a really pretty necklace you have there." I complimented. She looked at me and back to her necklace. She smiled at it lovingly.

 

"Thank you, it's a family necklace. Everyone in the family has one." She answered back. That's pretty interesting, I thought. The same necklace for every family member. 

 

"Well, Thank you for the dessert, I will come back again soon. And also what's your name, young lady?"

 

"You're welcome and my name is Lee Minhee." 

 

"Ah, such a beautiful name." 

 

"What's yours, if you don't mind."

 

"Mine is Chae Hyuyeon."