chapter 4 : chicken porridge

Homeless Boy // monsta x’s hyungwon

Hyungwon's POV

 

 Where am I? That was the first thing that came into my mind as I looked at my surroundings. I apparently slept on a couch. I looked at the coffee table infront of me and found a note next to a bowl of chicken porridge? 

please eat this as a thank you for bringing my cat back safely :) - minhee

 

I then remembered everything that happened, I helped send back minhee-ssi's cat to her apartment. I must have fell asleep and she brought me in. How did she carry me in? I'm pretty heavy because of my height.

I just shrugged at continue to look around, everything was simple and clean. White walls with colours such as navy blue, black and grey from the curtains, furniture and decorations around the apartment room.I glanced at the clock on the wall.

2.15 a.m.

Midnight has passed already. I should leave now, I don't want to cause trouble for Minhee-ssi. I ate the chicken porridge which was cold but delicious either way. It's probably my first decent meal in weeks. I cleaned the bowl in 2 minutes flat. I drank the water and neatly place it back on the table. I took the note and wrote something on it.

thank you for the meal. i'm sorry for causing trouble. thank you again :) 

- hyungwon

I wrote, I decided to scribble my name. It's probably for the best if she doesn't know my name. It's not like we're going to meet again. 

 

I took the blanket and folded it neatly. I stood up and was heading towards the door when I felt something beside me, it was Marshie. It purred at me.

"Hey Marshie." I whisperer while caressing its back.

It meowed louder. I shooed Marshie, I didn't want to wake up Minhee-ssi.

"I gotta go, Marshie." The cat looked at me sadly, as if he didn't want me to leave.

" I'll see you again, I promise." It purred one last time and walked away. I smiled at Marsh one last time and left the apartment.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Minhee's POV

 

I woke up from my slumber and looked around my bed.

 

Marshmallow was sleeping peacefully beside me. I caressed him and got up from my bed. As I walked out of my room, I decided to check up on the stranger from yesterday. Is he still here? I went to the couch and found no one. He probably left. For some reason, I felt sad. I shook the feeling off and a smile crept up my lips, he ate the chicken porridge.

I took the note and saw some words below it. There was a scribble at the end. Did he cancelled his name? Oh well, maybe he doesn't want me to find him or something. 

 

I walked back into my room and got ready for the day. I decided to wear something simple but still looks pretty.

 

As for makeup, I did my brows, mascara, peach coloured blush and a peachy lip colour. I brushed my dark brown hair and clipped a black bow on my hair. 

 

I walked out of my room and grabbed a bottle of orange juice from the fridge. I wasn't hungry at the moment. I'll eat at the cafe, I thought.

I filled up Marshmallow's bowl with his food and refilled his bowl of water too. I made sure to close the window beside the kitchen. Can't let him cause any trouble again.

 

Before leaving the apartment, I grabbed my phone,wallet and a canvas bag for grocery shopping later.

 

"Goodbye baby! don't make a mess okay? I'll bring back something for you!" I said loudly before closing the door behind me.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I was walking on the busy road with that was right in-front of the apartment, passerby's getting to work, animals barking and the scent of coffee in the early morning. I was busy admiring the tall skyscraper buildings till I accidentally bumped into someone. "I'm sorry, I'll help you." I said while helping him collect the files that dropped from his grip. 

" Thank you." he replied as he ruffled his blonde hair. As we were both standing up, I looked at his face and went, "OMG Minhyuk!" I hugged the named male tightly which almost made him drop his files again. 

 

"How's my lil sis doing?" He unwrapped his arms from me before pinching my cheeks.

 

" It's been okay, just the same. how was your trip?" I asked him about his trip all over the globe to take pictures for his website.

 

"It's really fun! I just got back from Hong Kong and it was fun but in a torture kinda way." He said trying to make sense. I just rose my brows in confusion and he explained it further.

"I was dared by one of my friends to try stinky tofu." He said in a digusted manner.

 

" Let me guess, Jackson?" I guessed before laughing as he nodded. Jackson is heck of a guy, he's funny and just a total dork.

"It was digusting! How does Jackson thinks it's delicious?!" He gagged at the thought. 

"Maybe cause he eats it since he was a kid, he got use to it. duhhhhh" I facepalmed at his retardation.

 

" Oh yeah, you're right." Aren't I always right, I thought. " Well I'm gonna go head home. I miss my bed so much. Oh, can you please buy me roll-ups please? See ya later, sis." He smiled before vanishing within the crowd. I just sighed before heading to the grocery store.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I picked up two boxes of roll-ups, one for Minhyuk and one for myself. I also picked up things for the cafe. After double checking, I headed to the cashier to pay them. The cashier was a male and he quickly scanned the items with his buff arms. 

"That would be ₩50000." He said as he helped place the items into my canvas bag. I gave him the exact amount and said, "Thank you..." I looked for any identification and saw his name tag, "Hyunwoo." I continued before leaving. From the corner of my eye, I saw him smile, it probably made his day. I smiled as I exit the store.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hyungwon's POV

 

After finishing my work as a cleaner at a hawker store, I went back to the alley to wear a slightly cleaner pair of clothes and a face mask. Then I headed to another location with a boombox on one of my hands. I got it from the orphanage as a gift before leaving. They knew how much I loved music, hence they bought me a boombox to play music and such. It wasn't much but it was more than enough. I walked out of the alley and went on a hunt to find a spot to perform. After a few minutes of walking, I finally found a spot to perform, it was near the entrance of the main street in Myeondong that is filled with shops and of course people....

 

I placed my boombox on the side of the road and change the radio tuner until an upbeat song was played. I haven't heard this song before, it's probably new. I took a few breaths in before doing an improv dance. Soon, a small crowd was in-front of me, cheering loudly. A few of them threw some ₩100 and ₩500 coins on my worn out handkerchief in-front of me. After performing a few more songs, I thanked the crowd and did a 90 degree bow. They cheered one last time before slowly walking away along the main street. I picked up my handkerchief filled with coins and immediately stuff it in my pocket. I grabbed my boombox and was going to walk away when someone stopped me.

 

"Hey, your improv dance is really good." A young lady complimented me. She was wearing a checkered blue and white long sleeved shirt and a black skater skirt. 

"Uh,um t-thank-thanks." I stuttered back. I've never been this close in-front a girl before. Good thing my face mask covered my red cheeks. I've been shy around girls since I was a little kid. 

" Hey, no worries. Here take this." She handed me a ₩10000 note. I was shocked, I never received this much money.

"I know it's not much but I spent my money on grocery shopping earlier and this is the only spare change I have left." She explained herself. She was really honest, I thought. A smile crept up on my lips. 

"No, this is more than enough." I answered her truthfully. Mom used to say to be grateful with everything we have or given. 

"Well I'm glad then. Hope I could see you perform again soon." She replied back while smiling ear to ear. She has a beautiful smile, I thought.

For some reason, I replied to her with a "You will."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I walked around the streets and saw a kimbap stall nearby. With the money I currently now own, I ordered myself one kimbap. 

"That'll be ₩5000 please." The middle-aged lady told me as she handed me a roll of kimbap in a clear plastic wrap. I nodded and handed her the loose change I had. I thanked her and walked away happily. After a few hours of walking around and failing to find any jobs I could take, I decided to call it a day. I asked a passerby what was the time.

"It's 4.35." He looked at his watch. 

"Thank you." I replied. He waved it off and said it was nothing. 

 

I walked back to the alley and placed my boombox near my 'marked territory.' No one enters this place as it was dirty and creepy to be honest. But I had no choice, the Seoul Station was already filled with other homeless people. It's better here anyway, the chances of people stealing my things is less than 10%. 

I sat on the curb of some stairs and sighed heavily. Whenever I'm alone, I like to reflect back on what I did over the day. Well, yesterday was my birthday. It was pretty good considering I got to eat some good food from a stranger who's face I never seen. That thought made me think of Minhee. I wondered how does she look like? My thoughts was interrupted when a loud noise was coming from the main street. The Seollal festival must had started already. Soon enough, I could hear drums and other various instruments being played. Good thing I went back here before the main street was filled with people. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~