Some Answers, More Questions

A Work in Progress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

My internal alarm had evidently decided to take Saturday off and I was grateful to say the least. When I finally opened my eyes it was almost 9 a.m. and I felt surprisingly well rested after a very long week. Suho had been having trouble finding anyone with information on human mates and had to broaden his search. In order to avoid pestering Suho or moping around the house all day, I had thrown myself into work much more strongly than usual, probably driving some of the employees at the office nearly insane with my constant presence. It wasn't necessary for me to be there all the time and I delegated a good bit to others in my team but my personal accounts were with our most high-profile and wealthy investors that were essential to keeping GSS innovative and forward moving.

I had probably over micromanaged this week considering I had been in the office at least ten hours everyday. It had gotten to the point where one of our senior account managers had suggested that maybe I should spend a little extra time at the gym and try a 'boxing class or something' to 'let off some steam'. I could usually recognize when I needed to pressure my team and when they were managing well on their own but I couldn't find anything to fully keep my attention at home. I had even been snooping into the other offices looking for a new project to keep myself occupied.

All nine of our pack members made up the department heads of GSS. Suho was the CEO, as the security company had originally been his brain child, while I worked with Lay to head marketing. I handled the investment marketing and Lay focused more on advertising, although we often worked together. Baekhyun headed PR, which had become exponentially more important as our company grew. Ground Security, which included personal bodyguards and physical security for events, was split between Minseok and Kyungsoo. Our Tech Team was comprised of Chanyeol, Sehun, and Jongdae. Chanyeol was originally in charge of web design but had recently expanded to product design as well, since Jongdae didn't really have an eye for it, and dabbled in projects on so many different teams that I found it hard to understand how he even had time for it all. Sehun headed all of our programming, although he deferred to Jongdae on some of the programming that more directly related to the function of security systems since Jongdae was the mastermind behind the engineering and function of our technology.

The office would still be open today, although less than half of anyone in investment would be there, and I played with the idea of going in today too. Before I decided anything I grabbed my phone to check for anything that might need my immediate attention. There were several messages in the pack chat (we had to designate a pack chat solely for pack issues and fun and then another for work related issues) so I scrolled through them first. I scrolled through several messages, dated from late last night, of Baekhyun, Chanyeol, and Jongdae relentlessly picking on each other before the latest conversation thread from this morning popped up.

Leader Hyung: had anyone seen Kai? he didn't answer my text

LayXing: I had to stop in to the office and he's not there unless he wandered out of marketing and somewhere else again

Sehun-ah: My next door neighbor must be tired from driving his employees as well as Chanyeol crazy all week haha. His door is still closed and I didn't hear him get up so he is either sleeping or ignoring you~

I typed back a quick sleepy emoji and then checked to see what Suho had sent me.

Leader Hyung: found some information finally. come to the library when you have time

Leader Hyung: ?? thought you would want to know about this?

I realized in an instant what he was referring to and didn't bother wasting time typing out a reply or checking any of my other messages. I threw on the first pair of comfortable pants I saw, a pair of long, black and white, athletic training pants, and yanked on a plain black v-neck undershirt over top. I raced almost comically down the stairs to the second floor where the library was located, completely ignoring Baekhyun who had been in the hallway on the way there. I burst into the library only to find it empty. I couldn't be bothered to concentrate long enough to try to sense where he was.

"Junmyeon hyung!" I hollered. I could hear several complaints in response throughout the house from various members but I zeroed in on Suho's voice.

"Yeah, I'll be up in a moment." He called from the kitchen. I tapped my foot impatiently as he made his way up from the first floor at a normal pace. 

"So? Who did you get in contact with? Was it a wolf with a human mate? Or just someone who knew about human mates? What did--"

"Hold on five seconds until I can find my notes." He shifted through a few pieces of paper on his desk. "I did manage to find a male wolf with a female human mate. Oh, here it is." He glanced up at me. "Relax Jongin. Sit down and let me explain this to you and then we'll try to work through the details together." My heart leaped.

"Does that mean she is--" He silenced me with a gaze that said 'what did I just say?' and I plopped down in a chair before scooting to the very end of it and listening intently.

"So, the wolf I spoke to, Jackson, does have a human mate. Anyway, when he first met her he said that he experienced similar symptoms to you, just like any wolf when they find their mate. The pull seemed to be weaker for him, compared to norm-- traditional mates. She, however, said that she did feel unusually interested and attracted to him when they first met as well, but didn't characterize it to be a strong 'pull' until later."

When werewolves met their mates for the first time, providing that they had both gone through puberty already, mates would feel a strong 'pull' towards each other. I had heard it described as a sense of belonging and completeness with the other as well as a very strong physical attraction. It occurred in both the male and female with equal strength and would grow as they spent time together. They would also develop a sort of 'sense' of the other person. They would have a general feeling of where the other was located as well as their emotional state. This started out extremely weak at first, although he had heard of some mates starting with a much stronger sense than others, but it would grow the more time they spent together and was aided by the actual mating process. Of course all members of a pack had some sense of the others emotions and they could communicate telepathically when in wolf form, but the sense that formed between mates w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter