A Welcome Opportunity and Unwelcome Visitors

A Work in Progress
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After our talk Jongin was called away, I wasn’t sure exactly what for. Well, actually, his phone was going off over and over again and, despite it being set to vibrate, I could hear it so I’m sure he did as well. He politely ignored it but it went off so many times that I had insisted that he take it. He stepped out into the hallway to take the call so I couldn’t make out much of the conversation, not that I was trying to. 

He had seemed a bit stressed when he re-entered my room but only said something had come up that he needed to take care of and asked if I would be okay staying by myself. He even offered to drive me to a friend or family member’s house or to come back later if I needed. Of course I declined. I needed some time to myself with my own thoughts and there wasn’t anywhere I’d be more comfortable than my own bed anyway.

I stared at the ceiling and took a deep breath in, puffing up my chest. When I felt my lungs were full I held my breath for a moment, then took another little sip of air, held for another moment, one more little sip, then released, shooting my breath and tension out of my lungs and through my nose. I repeated this a few more times until I felt a bit more grounded and focused.

I glanced at the clock on my nightstand. 6:14pm. I would usually be eating dinner around this time but I didn’t have much of an appetite. I needed something to distract my mind from the events of today. I quickly decided to veg-out and watch some shows on my laptop which would hopefully keep my brain occupied and entertained until I fell asleep. I opened my laptop and noticed that I had a few unread emails in my inbox. They were most likely promotional emails for sales but I liked to keep my inbox tidy and there was a slim chance that one of the emails could be a response from the dozens of job applications I had turned in.

It wasn’t that I didn’t like my current job, I did, but I needed a job that would contribute to my career and, honestly, one that could pad my wallet a bit more. I hadn’t had any success for months so I had started applying to literally anything that was even remotely related to international politics, trade, or business, and some that were just office positions to help me get experience. Unfortunately, most of the jobs I could find would require me to commute to Philadelphia everyday, but I couldn’t exactly afford to be picky at this point. I scrolled through my emails and a subject line caught my eye. “Interview Offer”. My eyes widened comically and I opened it immediately. 

 

Hi Sonja!

Thank you for your interest in the Administrative Assistant position! We would like to invite you for an interview to discuss the position further.

The first available appointment if this Friday at 11:15. Please let me know if this time is suitable for you.

 

 

Oh my gosh! Finally! I tried to control my excitement as I read over the email over a few more times but I couldn’t hold myself back from pumping my fists into the air with a wide smile stretching across my face. I could hardly remember applying to the position, as I had applied to so many, so I glanced back at the company website to refresh my memory.

The company did business mainly in the US, but also in Asia as well, and was headquartered in Philadelphia. It appeared to be a security firm. They contracted out security teams for events as well as personal guards, and also had their own security software and specialized equipment for personal residences and other buildings. The only thing that particularly interested me was the fact that they had an overseas market, but I had to start somewhere. The only lower-level position open when I had applied had been for an administrative assistant in the public relations department. I remember being surprised that a security firm would even have a PR department but I had guessed if their clientele were high profile or their market was large enough that it could be necessary. I also wasn’t interested in public relations, but again, I had to start somewhere. Who knew?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter