Fifty Six

Summoning the Supernatural
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If you've ever had an absolute hell week—the kind where you don't have time to eat, sleep, or breathe and all you're doing is essentially running on adrenaline and sheer will power—then you'll have a basic understanding of what running from electric purple, killer butterflies is like. Just multiply that feeling by, like, 70. Thinking was a luxury no one could afford; we just ran.

So when Seokmin showed up out of nowhere, panicked, confused, and already running, no one even batted eye. He reached for Seungkwan—probably out of instinct more than anything else—and somewhere in the back of my mind I filed that information to process later.

 

We ran for hours. I wasn't entirely sure how, seeing as I couldn't normally sprint for more than five minutes, but we did. Seungkwan literally hit the ground running after Seokmin showed up. Jun kept blazing through the forest behind us for the first half of the chase and an almost humorous thought about starting forest fires briefly crossed my mind.

Eventually, it got dark and Jun managed to catch up to the rest of us. Some time later, Vernon started to slow down and the rest of us followed suit.

"." Minggyu said pointedly and I couldn't agree more.

"Seungkwan, are you okay?"

Seungkwan held up a peace sign and smiled at Hoshi. "Gucci."

Everyone was breathing so heavily, you'd believe air was a novelty to us.

"So, uh," Jeonghan panted and my eyes slid over to him. "Now what?"

When everyone's eyes swung over to me, I felt like I was underwater again. I didn't know, goddammit. I wasn't qualified to make decisions. I was so far out of my element; I wasn't even aware of the functions of my own body apparently.

Think, Mei. I needed to get myself together before my anxiety actually tore me apart but the only thought that played through my head was: What the ?

And that single thought reverberated through my skull, bouncing around and assuring that not a single other productive thought could take its place.

A shiver racked my body and I suddenly realized three things: one, fall was really hitting hard this year, two, I didn't have my big fluffy coat with me—the warm one with faux fur on the edges—and three, despite the rather desperate circumstances, I missed Jun's fire keeping we warm at my back.

And then, my mind went blank. It was genuinely too ing overwhelming to actually understand a fraction of what had literally just occurred, so I let my brain shut down and my mouth speak of it's own volition.

"Now, we take a hot ing minute to process, answer all my goddamn questions—because BOY have I got a few—and then come up with an emergency escape plan because holy what the ." I looked around for affirmation that yes, that was a solid plan, only to be met with forlorn looks of major distress instead. And that's when I realized that they didn't know either.

These s, that grew up kno

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter