|Part 1|

DR. KIM (EDITING)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Wiping your tears away, you heaved out a heavy sigh as you looked up to the night sky. It was a cold night so you hugged yourself with the jacket around your body. There was no one else at the park at this time around as it was already really late. You just finished your work at a fancy cafe called Bling Cafe. It was a super tiring day and with all the stress from college to your part-time work were enough to make you shed a tear. You were already stressed out thinking about your sick mother so today, you had enough. You needed to take a break or at least just cry your heart out to feel a bit at ease. You were already so desperate to help your mother to recover. You needed money to pay for your college tuition and same goes to your mother’s treatments.

“How long can I keep up with this?” You mumbled under your breath while sniffing slightly. Not even a second later, you received a phone call from your neighbour. Immediately, you picked it up and stood up from the bench. “Hello?” 

“Y/n,  your mother is throwing up again. I think her condition is worse now!” She said through the phone.

You widened your eyes as you heard her statement. “Hold on, Yerin. I’m on my way!” You replied while taking your bag and throw it over your shoulder. Your feet began to race down the pedestrian lane at a fast pace, not even minding what’s ahead of your way anymore. Your mother’s life is on the line and that’s what important right then. You didn’t even care that the sky had already suddenly started to pour heavily. 

Along with the rain, your tears also came down falling from your eyes. You fastened your pace as your mother was the only thing that you were concerned about. You couldn’t afford to lose her. You’re not losing her. You will make sure that you won’t. “Hold on, mom. I’m coming for you. You’ll be fine.” You paused and sobbed. “You’ll be fine.” At this point, your tears started to block your vision and make it turned blurry. You thought about the ‘taking a break from all these mess’ thoroughly again. You realised that it won’t be happening to you. You also realised that the fate just won’t let you live like other normal people. It was hard. Really hard living like this. However, you wouldn’t and shouldn’t be complaining. 

“Mom is the only person that I have in this world. I’m not losing her just like I had lost my dad. I would do anything just to make sure she’s alive.” You said to yourself to give some encouragement. Another call came in and it was your neighbour, Yerin again. Without any hesitation, you pushed the green button. 

“Speak.” You demanded. On the inside, you were worried sick already.

“Y/n, we need to take her to the hospital! She’s losing her conscious!” She yelled in panic. At that, your heartbeat increased rapidly in an instant. Your mind was pretty much blank after hearing what she said next.

“She’s going to pass out soon!” 

Your breath halted making you screamed into the line. “Well then call the freaking ambulance!! I’m coming now! Just..please.. make sure she opens her eyes. Don’t let her close them. Please..” you begged desperately. You cried harder and was about to hear what Yerin said but you suddenly crashed hard into someone’s chest. Hard enough that made you fell down onto the cold and wet ground. 

“Agh!” You winced in pain as your right palm had slipped and got cut by something sharp, like a broken piece of glass. You looked down to it and saw blood coming out. Plenty obviously. You frowned but then someone quickly crouched down in front of you.

“Hey, are you alright, miss?” He asked with concern. You looked up and saw his angelic yet cold expression on his face. At that moment, you felt as if something was slowing down. Was it the time? You had no idea but it was one of the rare moments where your heart just raced without any specific reason. He was looking all sorry and you noticed that his umbrella had flown away behind him, making his figure got wet in a second. The rain had made the drops came down from his hair and onto his face. You didn’t even notice that your phone had been thrown away as well due to the hard impact of the unexpected collision.

“Miss, your hand is bleeding. Here, let me look at it.” He said softly but his voice was a bit higher yet deep at the same time. How could you even describe it because it was actually pretty soothing through your ears. It was crystal clear. As he was about to reach your hand, reality finally hits you hard. 

Your mother.

“My mom!”

Gasping in panic, you immediately got up again before picking up the phone that you managed to find on the ground not too far from your spot. The guy only stared at you in puzzled. “Wait, miss!” He shouted but you had already run away to the opposite side. You didn’t care about the pain that you were feeling on your hand. It could be treated later anyways.

Yes, it hurts a lot.

But it hurts more if you couldn’t save your mother’s life. It was such a critical moment for you to think straight about anything simple anymore.


-


Hanbin only stood still as he stared at your figure which was slowly fading away from his sight. He was confused as to why you just ran off like that. But remembering the mention of your mother, he finally understood. He sighed before picking up the umbrella from the ground. Looking at his clothes, he noticed that they had been soaked in the rain already. 

Without further ado, he continued to walk down the path and towards the hospital ahead. 


He got inside the area when he saw the sign of it.


Seoul Medical Centre of Korea


Upon entering, he was greeted by some of the receptionists there. “Dr Kim, what happened to you?” One of then asked in astonishment when they say that he just came in soaking wet. Hanbin just smiled and handed in his umbrella before sighing. “My car broke down today so I had to walk all the way from home. Then there’s my luck, I had bumped into someone until I lost my umbrella, making my clothes... like this.” He explained while showing his wet casual outfit.

They nodded in understanding and suddenly a female and male doctor came. They were chatting about something until they finally saw Hanbin. “Yeah, so the pain must— WOAH! What happened to you, dude?!” The guy said and Hanbin only chuckled. “Car broke down, walk, rain heavily, bumped into someone, then bam! I’m here.” He dramatically said.


The female doctor then raised her eyebrows. “What? You can just call me then. I would pick you up.” At that, Hanbin smiled. “No need, Sana. I’m fine.” Then the doctor, Sana, frowned and tried to make her face look cuter. She proceeded towards Hanbin immediately to cling onto his arm. “Well then, let’s go. I’ll help to send you to your office.” 

Hanbin just followed as he was basically got dragged afterwards by her. All the staff and the male doctor stared at them. “You guys are just going to leave me here?” The male doctor whined. Hanbin chuckled and looked back. “Come on, Bobby. We have a major surgery to do.” He said while still being dragged. Sana only whined as Hanbin pulled in his friend as well. She likes Hanbin and that’s already obvious to him. However, Hanbin only stayed silent about it. He didn’t want to cause any trouble since Sana herself didn’t even say anything but the way she expressed it was too much for him to not notice it. Even Bobby had once told Hanbin that Sana had confessed about it to him one time. Therefore, he let it slide.


-


“Hanbin-ah, you’re assigned to the ER (Emergency Room) unit for tonight’s shift.” A slightly older nurse came inside Hanbin’s office to make the announcement. Hanbin then turned confused. “Wait what? Then what about the heart transplant surgery that I’ve been scheduled for?” 

The nurse smiled before shaking her head. “The surgery has been postponed. Sorry that I forgot to inform you about it earlier. Oh, and the unit needs you too, Bobby.” She explained and Hanbin finally understood. “Well, alright then. ER, it is.” He shrugged and wore his white coat. Sana smiled at him as Bobby only tilted his head while staring at Hanbin before the nurse finally left the room to continue doing her work someplace else. Bobby immediately turned to Hanbin. “Dude, I was already imagining of being the main doctor to do the transplant but then..” he dramatically clenched onto his heart area of his chest, trying hard to act out the pain.

Hanbin and Sana scoffed playfully. 

“Seriously?” Sana pretended to punch him afterwards, making him flinched in his spot. Bobby then pouted as he was thinking that there was no way Sana would even care about what he was saying at the moment. However, before Bobby could even open his mouth to argue, Hanbin decided to break it off. “That’s enough, guys. Back to work.” He snapped his finger rather coolly, making Sana awed him even more. Bobby only scoffed in disbelief as he saw how ridiculous yet obvious Sana was acting towards Hanbin. Unbelie

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter