013: side effects of exams

Juniors’ Society
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Junior's Society
013: side effects of exams

 

Chungha’s POV

I’m a veterinarian.

Well, a vet-to-be, and a part of our requirements in graduating next year is working as animal rescuers starting this exam week until the end of the first term in senior year. And, well, I have to pick a partner by the end of this week.

But the thing is, it’s not like I need to ask someone out –

People have been asking me out.

With the animal rescue program, I can pick a partner from a different program and they will be exempted on the final test and all of the minor classes they’ll have on the next term, which is why many other kids would come around and – “Hey, Chungha!” Like this one, for instance, Kim Jaehwan, who only talks to me when he needs a copy of his new favorite anime series, is right in front of me and one of the school’s dogs, Cherry, who I named after her red snoot. Currently, we’re on the field, and Jaehwan’s not the first to approach me. “So, who are you picking for your rescue mission?”

I tried to smile it off. “I haven’t picked anyone yet.” Cherry began scowling, so I began patting her head to keep her calm. “Shush now, Cherry.” I tried to give Jaehwan a small smile. “I’ll keep you posted, okay?”

“T-Thanks.” And with that, Jaehwan left me and Cherry alone. The only other veterinary medicine friend I have is coming with his girlfriend, and he keeps telling me to ask Soonyoung to be my partner. Surely, I have no complaints in asking him out, but it’s awkward. The last time he tried to talk to me, I had Longguo shoo him away.

“HEY CHUNGHA WHAT ABOUT ME?” Cherry dashed and ran to Junhui’s arms. He’s been meaning to adopt her, since she likes him a lot.

I smiled sadly. Sure, earlier on, he’s been on the top of the list for potential partners since freshman year but earlier today…

 

“Chungha.” I was doing my homework in the library when I heard a deep, monotonous voice that I only hear in the clubroom. It’s Seokwoo.

I bowed slightly as he pulled the chair next to me. “What brings you here?” I asked him as he sat down. “You don’t usually come out to find me.”

“Yeah, I came to tell you not to pick Jun as your partner for your rescue mission.”

I narrowed my eyes in confusion. “You do know that he’s running first on my list, right?” I asked. Junhui’s good with animals and people, which is why I wanted to pair up with him. To top it up, he’s undecided in Junior Year, Vet Med can help him.

“I know that, but I have to ask you this favour.” He sighed. “You know we’re on the debate team, right?”

I nodded as I realized what’s up. “Oh.”

I remembered. The Debate Team made it to the Nationals and they’re supposed to be exempted from their finals, as well, and they get incentives if they win this, so Seokwoo must be on edge – especially since he needs this for his scholarship. “Please just do me this once, Chungha, then I promise I’ll do one big favor for you.”

 

“Until now, I don’t know what once big favor I’m going to ask Seokwoo.” I saw Junhui sulk and groan. “Now I have no reasons to skip out Debate!”

I softly apologized. “Sorry.”

“But, I also know another person who’s good with pets.”

I narrowed my eyes. “Please not Wonwoo or Jihoon. Wonwoo’s bad with dogs and Jihoon’s shorter than me.”

“Of course it’s not either of those two, those two are fat-asses, I don’t expect them to be the type.” He was quiet for a few seconds before he said, “It’s Soonyoung!”

Hanbin’s POV

I glanced at Sejeong. She’s been hitting the wrong note twice now. “Sejeong, again.” Us Arts majors don’t have finals, we only have practicals, so that brings me and Sejeong, who were hilariously paired up. We’re currently in one of our school’s recording studios, and we’re recording for our practical application. We’re supposed to make a song and turn it in, and we chose to make a rap + ballad song, where I’m going to rap, too.

“Right.” And she repeated her verse. Here’s the reason why I wanted to work with her.

She writes the best lyrics.

No, seriously, there’s no one else in out batch who’s able to write lyrics as poetic as hers. She managed to write a happy ending to a sad story, she’s THAT good. She wrote our entire song, and it’s seriously good.

And she hit the right note. “Okay, that’s good enough, Sejeong.”

“Thanks.” Then she left the recording room to join me. I played her the song and she looked pleased, too. “This is good enough.”

“I’ll just finish mixing it, you can rest for a bit.”

She nodded. “I’ll just call Doyoung.” I nodded back and she left the room, but before I can even glance at the mixer, she came back in. “Yo, Sana’s here.”

Sana?

“SANA?!”

Yep, I was shocked. Our convos are usually just e-mails, just me sending demos of the songs we’re going to use in her playwright and her sending scripts for me to try and match it. I used to want to do this with her, but now, it’s just plain awkward to do this with her. She went into the room and I noticed that she’s standing one feet away from me – this should be normal. She left a thick- folder on the table and I furrowed my brows in confusion. “What are those for?”

“That’s the script, run it over, I have practicals to work on.” She twisted her heel and she began to walk out.

“Wait, Sana.”

“What?”

“Do you want some coffee?”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter