04. Rush Over Me.

Afterlife.

Jongin begins to frequent the other world he's learned to enter. It's strange, he thinks, how this place quickly turned from a dream to his wanted reality. At first he thought that he was just lucid dreaming, being able to control everything in his dreams. However after endless research, he finds it to be different. There's no way he could dream himself in the same place repeatedly. Not only that, but everything was just way too real in it's own way. His conversations with others and people he had never met were consistent as if they remembered the previous conversation. Aside from things disappearing here and there, like Jongdae's usual juice box, and the odd everlasting sunset and smell of Autumn - it felt too real. Like it was another world. He slowly began to acknowledge that this place may not be a figment of his imagination while in deep slumber. It had to be some kind of world where angels resided.

 

"Sooner or later, you'll get used to this place." Jongdae had told him, leaning against the tall tree that he and Kyungsoo had shared. He and Jongdae had spent time together on his fifth visit while Kyungsoo slept soundly in the orange leaves as a makeshift matress. Jongin just stared out into the sunset with his head tilting slightly to the side as he's seated on the soft grass. 

"I sure hope so." 

"I'm not sure you'd want to." The elder sighs, turning his head to look at Jongin's wrist yet again though the latter doesn't notice. 

"Why not?" The tanned male responds, turning back slightly to look at Kyungsoo's peaceful form with a small smile. "Everything I need is here. I wish I could never leave."

At that moment, a small black bead of smoke filled the transparent bracelet that wrapped itself around Jongin's wrist. Jongdae doesn't say anything for a moment as his eyes focus on the tiniest detail of the piece of jewelry.

"I thought the same thing." Jongdae smiles.

 

 

 

 

Jongin continued to go to school, quickly doing his studies and then leaving straight for home. Sometimes Sehun would try and strike up a conversation, attempting to keep whatever friendship they had hanging alive. Jongin did miss his best friend, but at times he just missed Kyungsoo too much. So he would like occasionally that he had to go home and do his homework.

 He promised Kyungsoo he would study harder and keep his grades up so the other wouldn't be upset. It was hard at times when all he wanted to do was go home and fall asleep quickly to meet Kyungsoo in their little safe haven, but a promise was a promise and he couldn't afford to waste time trying to get Kyungsoo to stop sulking. 

Today, Jongin studies for an upcoming test with a bit of frustration. He couldn't quite get some of the questions due to the fact that he would fall asleep here and there during class. Which was another proof that the world Kyungsoo was in was most definitely not a dream. The dreams he would have in class were pointless. No school ground, juice boxes, or Kyungsoo.

While studying, his can hear three gentle knocks upon his bedroom door. With a groan, he turns his head with pursed lips. "What do you want, mom?" He asks with a grumble. Seeing the door slowly open with a creak, he's surprised to find his father peeking his head in, suit slightly shown through the crack. He's surprised, if he were to be honest. He has not spoken to his dad since that night they fought. To be quite honest, he still felt weary even just seeing him. 

"Hey, bud." His father speaks gentle as he lets himself in Jongin's room. It looks as if he does not exactly know how to go around what he wants to convey. Awkwardly making his way towards Jongin's bed to sit at the foot of it, he turns his head to see the photo frame that holds a photo of Kyungsoo and Jongin smiling rather happily. He feels guilt, turning his head away. Jongin just rolls his eyes and turns to look back at his homework. 

"What do you want, dad?" He makes sure to keep his attitude tame.

"I was wondering..." He's beating around the bush with a pause, fingertips feeling along the soft comforter. "... if you'd like to join your old man at work." He pauses once more, turning to look at his son who has his back facing him. "It 'Take Your Kids To Work' night and I know how much you liked joining me on this occasion." Which was true. For the past years, Jongin and his father always went to share memories at his father's workplace. No matter how old Jongin was, he felt like a kid being in such a big building and getting to see what his dad left to do to take care of their family. However, Jongin felt like things have changed now. 

"I've got to study for a test." He half lies, wanting to find a way out.

His father sighs out lightly, almost inaudible. The elder turns his head towards the wall beside the bed to see Kyungsoo's little scribbles along the wall, lips curling downwards into a frown. "I see." He replies, unsure what to say. This would be the first year Jongin wouldn't be going to work with him. "Well if you decide to change your mind, I'll be downstairs until it's time for me to leave." And with that, he takes his leave from the bedroom and shuts the door behind him.

After a minute has passed, Jongin slams his fist upon the wooden desk. He felt that aching in his chest. It's so painful - the physical pain of depression. He wanted to go, but he truly did need to study. And studying takes time away from the time he could be spending with Kyungsoo. He can't study, go out with his dad, then go see Kyungsoo. It was wasteful.

Opening his drawer, he counts the pills that help lull him to a sound sleep. Then he turns to look at the ticking little clock that sits upon his desk. There was no time. 

Once it hits 7pm, Jongin can faintly hear the sound of the front door opening and shutting as he got ready for bed. He had already taken the pill and it was taking him into a deep slumber, body sinking into his mattress.

With eyes closed, he's brought to the same cold feeling of the tiles in the hallway. As always, Jongdae is standing there with that juice box, holding his hand out for Jongin to take so he could get himself off the floor.

"Welcome back, buddy." Jongdae greets him.


a/n:
short update. just got off work. its 3am.
im tired and sad
i hope everyone is having a good day
thank you for reading this story
it means a lot to me
please leave lots of comments
and feed back so i can remain
motivated to keep this story alive.
your words truly do mean a lot.

unbeta-d