Basketball

Nu'est One Shot

Everybody was gathered in the room for the monthly distribution of topic they need to right of the month’s magazine. You’re really hoping to get the scope that you have been anticipating. Burano, a destination in Itay that has been voted one of the most colourful places. You just want to have a topic to write on while being away. Getting some good rest and a change of environment to work. You know it’s one of the topics this month that will be distributed to be written up on. As your boss, issued some small articles topics to the newcomers and interns. Only ones left in the room are you, your co-worker Jiwoo and your boss.

‘Jiwoo, you’ll be getting to write on the destination of Burao. And Y/N. I need you to work on interviewing on our national basketball team. They are coming back this week after 3 years of touring to compete.’

Y/N: But.. I feel like Jiwoo would be better at-

‘Y/N, I want you to do this. Jiwoo has a couple of experience to work on interview, so I want you to have the opportunity as well.’

Y/N: I mean I don’t think I’m ready.. I can just work on small project with he interns. I can help to guide them.

‘Y/N, I know you’re nervous, But I trust you. You can do this. I believe in your capabilities I think you should as well. Well, this meeting is over. Goodluck!’

Groaning, you can’t help but drop your head down. It’s not like you don’t believe in your capabilities. You’re well aware that you can handle this. It’s just that, you can’t believe your luck. You can be interviewing anyone, yet, it has to be your national basketball team. Really? out of all the national team. How are you going to face him…

 

-

*5 Years Ago*

 

Soo Jin: Y/N!!

 

Your best friend sprint across the hallway, as she screamed your name. Only stopping when she run up to where you were.

 

Y/N: What’s with the morning sprint? Trying to train for the track and field team in your last year of college? Just because a certain fraternity boy is in? Hmm..

Soo Jin: Hush… But I might try again this year. Might actually get in this year. And see the love of my life, Bam Bam. But anyway… It’s not about me!! It’s about your lover boy! I heard the basketball team is looking for a water boy/girl!

Y/N: Okay??

Soo Jin: Go get the job! Who knows you might finally get Jackson to notice you! Come on! You could finally get your dream guy.

Y/N: First of all, he’s not my dream guy or love of my life. I just find his body really appealing. Okay? Just like the rest of the female species here in this college. Plus, I have no needs of the extra credit. It’s just a waste of time for me to be there.

Soo Jin: Then way do you drag me to every basketball game the school team compete in.

Y/N: HAVE YOU SEEN HIS THIGHS??

Soo Jin: Yes, I did. I was dragged there remember? Anyway. It’s your chance to see all the thighs you want. Let’s go!!

 

Dragging you across the hallway again, turns right into the basketball court. As both of run in, all the guys froze, looking at both of you. Confuse was painted across their face. You couldn’t feel more awkward then this. You just want to dig a hole in the ground and buried six feet under. But your best friend dragged you in without any care in the world. Walking up to the coach. Making all eyes glued to the both of you.

 

Soo Jin: Hi. I heard the water boy/girl position is opened?

‘Ahh yes. You’re here to take the position? GUYS! GET BACK TO PRATICE!’

Soo Jin: She here to take it. She needs extra credit and it’s our last year here. We just want to graduate with enough credit.

‘Sure. When can you start?’

Y/N: Eh…

‘Can you start now?’

Y/N: I-

Soo Jin: SHE CAN! I’ll see you later alright! I’m going to try out the track and field team again!

‘Cool’

And with that, your best friend runs out of the court leaving you there awkwardly. Well, at least the coach seems cool. He brought you through what you need to do. Practically fill up the team’s water bottles if it’s empty. Collecting of their jersey after practice and gave it to the lady a block down from college that owns a dry-cleaning shop.  Picking it up in the morning when it’s done. Sounds simple enough. He doesn’t mind if you complete your essay or assignment during practices. Looks like you would have a change of location to do your assignment now. Speaking of assignment, why not start now. Getting yourself comfortable on the bench. You took out your laptop and start typing away. As the squeaking of shoes and ball drilling around becomes a background noise for you. While you lost yourself away to your essays.

 

Jackson: HEY!

 

Jotting up from your spot, you were not expecting to hear a voice beside you.

 

Jackson: Sorry… I didn’t mean to scare you. So, Y/N right?

Y/N: Ya..

Jackson: We had literature class together last semester?

Y/N: Oh.. ya. We did.

Jackson: Well, it’s nice to see a familiar face around. Especially a beautiful face like yours.

 

Giving you a wink, as he stood up from the spot he sat. Running back to the court itself to practice again. Did he really just… flirt with you?? But you don’t have enough time to process what had happen. As another voice stutter you again.

 

Aron: Sup, Wang’s girl! Finally followed him to the court now huh. Instead of sitting at the bench of every game.

Y/N: What do you want Aron?

 

Rolling your eyes at him. Aron, unlike Jackson the team’s leader & the centre of the team. Aron was the shooting guard. And just like Aron, he is in one of the many fraternity club in college. Such as the 2 top fraternity club, GOT7 and Nu’est. Jackson is in GOT7, while Aron here is in Nu’est. Both clubs are always fighting to get the top position. You don’t even want to know what comes with the first-place title. And what it takes to achieve that. You guess their rivalry never stay within the club itself. Because there has always been some sort of tension between the guys from the 2 different clubs. Guys and their comparison competition. You just don’t understand what’s the big deal is. All that it maters is how you use it. Not how big it is. But whatever. You guess Aron here had caught you drooling at Jackson’s thighs during one of the many games you have attend. You don’t even know when, but he just started call you Wang’s girl one fine day. And he just decided it sticks with you, and your name has change to Wang’s girl from then on.

 

Aron: Want to get in his pants so badly huh.

Y/N: off Aron.

Aron: Because I’m the only one and you here, who actually knows you don’t need these credits. 

Y/N: It’s none of your business.

Aron: I’ll see you around Wang’s girl.

 

The week past by in a breeze. As you got all your essay done so much faster. Maybe because you can’t procrastinate like usually, now that you had to seat in the court full of guys chasing a ball. You had to find something to do, not that Jackson’s thighs are not a good distraction. It’s just that you get bored overtime. And not a day goes by with Aron not calling you Wang’s girl at any chance he has. Aside from that you had built a nice relationship with the guys on the team. They are all very respectful and decent unlike someone.

It wasn’t until another week go by, when a fight broke out in the locker room. As you’re waiting for the guys to be done with their shower, for their jersey. Typing away the last part of your essay. You heard shouting in the locker room as the coach rush in there screaming. You froze not knowing what’s going on. Until the coach came back out dismissing the team.

 

‘Y/N. Could you patch the guys up in the locker room? Or send them to the sick bay or whatever.’

Y/N: Sure.

 

Putting away all your things. You took the medical kit and got into the locker room to see the mess. There you saw Aron and Jackson. A little bruised up, both seating on different benches set up in the locker room. Walking towards the one closer to you. Opening the medical kit, you guess you could just apply some ointment for him.

Jackson: Sorry you have to deal with this mess.

Y/N: It’s okay. I signed up for this. It’s part of what I had to do.

 

Patching him up wasn’t that long. Since he was not the one that was more bruised up among the both of them.

 

Y/N: I’m not actually a medic student. So, I feel like you should drop by the sick bay if it gets worst.

Jackson: Thanks. Sorry for the trouble.

Y/N: No worries.

Jackson: I’ll see you around.

Y/N: See you. Get home safe.

 

Aa he walked out of the locker room, you stood up to move on to the other guy left in here.

 

Aron: I’m good. Just leave with him.

Y/N: Who?

Aron: Jackson.

Y/N: You definitely need to patch up. He did a one on you. You look terrible.

Aron: I’m fine.

Y/N: Shut up and let me help you. If not, we will be here all day.

Aron: Arghhh… fine

Y/N: Comparing again.

Aron: No. But just so you know, mine’s bigger anyway.

Y/N: Wow.. Not like I’ve even seen his anyway. But okay. Thanks for the information.

Aron: It’s better that way. He’s a scam bag after all.

Y/N: What’s with you guys and your competition.

Aron: It’s not about that Y/N.

Y/N: Wow. This is actually the first time you call me by my name. I didn’t actually think you knew my actual name.

Aron: Y/N I’m being serious here. Jackson. He’s not as nice as he seems.

Y/N: What do you mean.

Aron: He.. He was objectifying you just now.

Y/N: Well, he’s in a fraternity after all. What can I expect guys from there? I just like his tights, nothing more. It’s not like I want him to be my boyfriend or have a crush on him.

Aron: Wait.. you don’t?

Y/N: Wait.. is that why you call me Wang’s girl all the time? You thought I have a crush on him??

Aron: Seems like it.

Y/N: No I don’t. I’m not that dumb to associate with guys from the fraternity. They are bad news. Wait.. is this fight about him objectifying me?

Aron: Not important. But.. you really have a bad impression on guys in a fraternity?

Y/N: It’s not a bad impression. Just that it’s better to stay away from them.

Aron: Not all guys in the fraternity are bad news.

Y/N: Hmm.. I guess. But none has proven me wrong.

Aron: But you’re here.

Y/N: I know. That’s why I need to be on my way after I patch you up. You’re bad news.

Aron: Thank you. You don’t have too.

Y/N: It’s my job. Well, I’m done here. Get to the sickbay and get it check okay. I’ll see you tomorrow.

Aron: See you. And thank you, Y/N.

Y/N: No problem. And.. Thank you too. For defending me and for proving me wrong.

Aron: Anytime.

 

Since that day, the team slowly sink back into their daily routine. Only differences were Aron approaching you more often to engage you in conversation. Such as, him sitting beside you during their short break time. Asking you on what you’re working on. Which lead to both of you helping each together out with schoolwork. Him teasing you about everything. Him accompanying you to send and collect their jersey. Leading to him, asking you out on a date. As both of you share a kiss at your doorstep after the date ends. To him official becoming your boyfriend. Spending every second together. Graduating together and him going off to his league. As he was selected to be in the national team. Him promising that he will call and text you as much as he could. But calls start to come less and unanswered. And text came less, read but not answered as well. That’s when you question yourself and the relationship both of you had. Questioning if he ever had the intention to settle down with you in the first place. Questioning if you were just something for him to by past his time. Questioning why didn’t you listen to your own advice.

‘Guys from the fraternity are bad news.’

 

-

*Present*

 

That was 4 years ago since you send him off to the airport for his league. And now 4 years after, you’re snapping out of your thoughts. Trying to calm yourself. Checking your outfit and make up again. You’re finally going to see him for the first time after 4 years. The studio is set up, lighting, camera, microphone all done. You could hear the team is already sitting on the soft infront of the camera. Hard not to miss the noise from far. Taking a deep breath, you walked pass the lighting to the set. Making yourself known to the team. Greeting them, as you try to ignore the surprise glance at a certain player. Getting to your seat, beside them. You start with asking them the questions you had pre-planned. The interview so passes so much faster than you thought. You didn’t know you were trying to hold your breath the entire time. It hard not to when there is a certain player just eyeing you through the whole thing. You can’t denial that he looks so good. Skin brighter, his muscle is more define and he grew out of his baby face. His feature more protruding and define. The aching in your heart is distracting you from giving your full focus on the interview. But you’re proud of yourself that you had done it. And you had finish asking all the questions. With the last bid to the players and thanking the production team. You escape back into your waiting room. Finally, able to breath properly. You could have fainted out there if the interview were any longer. Your relief was short lift by a knock on your waiting room door. And in came the person you drag most to see again.

 

Aron: Hey…

Y/N: What are you doing here?

 

Ouch. You didn’t mean to sound so blunt. You could tell he was a little shocked by the subtle filch he had. You kind of regret sounding do harsh. It’s not like you meant it anyway. But you’re still bitter about it. And you’re not about to take back what you say. Your pride and ego stopping you from it.

 

Aron: I just wanted to drop by and say hi. It’s been a while…

Y/N: It has been..

Aron: So.. erm.. I’ll be going then. The team is still waiting for me.

Y/N: Hmm…

Aron: I’ll see you soon?

Y/N: I guess.. I still have to film some footage of the team.

Aron: Right… I’ll see you around then…

Y/N: Hmm..

Aron: You… You look beautiful by the way. You always have been.

 

Closing the door behind you. You can’t help as your heart threatens to leap put of your chest. Groaning, you can’t help but hit your chest to stop yourself to feeling anything. You shouldn’t have. You shouldn’t be. Especially not after 4 years. Not after he was 4 years too late..

 

-

 

Walking in with your camera director, the squeaking of the shoes gives you nostalgia. Even though it is not the same court that you used to spend most of your last year in. It still brings back the feeling and memories you used to have about the environment. The players are warming up, some taking turns to shoot hoops. Some running around the court and some practicing their dribbling. The coach approach both of you as he directs you to the seat to observe with letting your camera director to shoot some scenes of the players warming up. Sitting down, you observe each one of them, their movement and what they normally do. It’s not like you’re not familiar with it.  But it feels nice to look at this scene again. Scribbling some things, you had in might to write down for your article. To prevent your eyes from wandering to a certain player. The long excruciating hours of waiting for your camera director to be done filming was finally up. As he was packing his things up, you do a final check on your notes while scribbling some details that you have missed out. Thanking the coach before your departure. You could see a familiar figure walking up to both of you. As the coach tells both of you something about celebrating after the article is out. But all you had in mind was to escape having any conversation with a certain player that was approaching. Quickly you find an excuse, saying you need to get back to the office to start on the article. If not you wouldn’t be able to publish in time. And with that you abruptly thank the coach again, while speed walking out of the court and pass him. Ignoring the calls from a certain player. Only finally having to take a deep breath when you’re back in your own car.

 

-

 

*2 Weeks Later*

 

Finally sending in your last draft to your editors last week, it’s finally going to be published today. You already have a copy at hand, you’re satisfy with the way it turned out. Not only that, your boss was telling you how he knew you’re the only one who can pull this article off with such detailed analysis and in depth of the players. You know you could, it just that you didn’t want to face a certain player. But you know you still have to see him tonight, at the celebration party with the national team. You don’t know if you could just pull up an excuse about being busy. But it might be too rude, since the coach has personally asked you to clear up your schedule since two weeks ago.

Wearing something simple, you know you will be under dress anyway. Giving yourself an excuse to leave early. Because you know after the dinner party at the restaurant, they would all move it to the club nearby. While you could have an excuse of being underdress and seek comfort of your own home. Wearing just a simple top and jeans, pairing it with a cardigan and sneakers. You’re getting out of your house to where you drag the most to be.

You’re just glad that you’re seated near the coach and your college. Instead of being seated on the table with the players. As the dinner roll out, conversation filled the place. As you busy yourself with just listen to other’s conversation, instead of starting your own. As everyone exits the place, heading to their next place in mind. You give the excuse out of being undress. And to your relived they let you off. Walking away from the group, the air feels colder tonight. It’s been awhile since you’re came to this part of the town. You remember spending a lot of your college time here. Down this riverbank and your frequent visit to the nearby café next to it. Maybe you should stop by the café to get some cakes and coffee. Taking it with you to the riverbank to enjoy while watching the night falls like you used to. Mentally note that you should get a hot drink, since it’s getting colder outside.

Your peace of walking down the riverbank was disturbed by someone calling out your name. Reluctantly, you prepared yourself to come face to face with the owner of the voice.

 

Aron: Y/N.. Y/N..

Y/N: Ya?

Aron: It’s just… It’s been so long… Do you maybe want to catch up?

Y/N: I actually –

Aron: Please don’t say no. I know things are very awkward between us. But I genuinely want to catch up. Please stop avoiding me. And don’t even try to denial it.

Y/N: I really don’t understand where you’re going with this.

Aron: Please. It’s been so long since we see each other.

Y/N: Fine.. I’m about to get something warm to drink and some sweets to eat out at this riverbank anyway.

Aron: My treat!

 

The only reason you’re agreeing to this, was because of how nervous he looked. You blame it on those eyes of his. You’re always weak to those pair of doe eyes of his. After so long, you thought you have finally gotten over him after 4 years. Yet, when he came back, just by knowing he was back. Your emotions were like a hurricane. Everything you once thought, was not it anymore. You’re just caught off guard and confuse as to why all these feelings are coming back to you. Maybe you never really did get over him. Maybe you just miss the memories you had with him. Or maybe deep down, you know you’re still in love with him. But you didn’t want to admit it. Because it much easier to pretend those feelings isn’t there anymore. It’s so much easier to convince yourself that you’re okay. It so much easier to blame it on the closure you never gotten form him.

 

Nobody’s talking just sounds of munching and sipping on drinks. Heart pounding as it feels nostalgic being here after so long.

 

Aron: Have.. you been here after..

Y/N: No. I didn’t have the time to and I didn’t really want to. It will remind me so much of the past.

Aron: I.. I’m sorry. I feel like I need to give you an explanation on what happened.

Y/N: You owe me nothing. It’s been so long.

Aron: No… you know… when I got there, I feel like my dream came true. Playing in the national team. I was excited and thought I was well prepared for it. I was so wrong. I know, I could not complain, the trainings are tough. I get home every day wreck, I even pass out on the floor even before I could reach my bed so often. I tried so hard to update you and speak to you as much as I can. There was so much going on in my life and I know it’s not an excuse. But there is just so much my body could handle. The stress, the training, the small amount of time we get to ourselves. I just couldn’t handle it. Every single day I asked myself if this was really what I wanted if I had made the right choice. But I concluded that I was being selfish. Selfish to you because I couldn’t let you wait on me. You have so much waiting for you. You have so much more choices instead of me. I didn’t feel like I was giving you want you wanted. I wasn’t being fair to you. I stop replying because I was too coward to even tell you that I wanted to end it. I couldn’t hold you back. So, I pushed you away, in hopes you would have a better shot at life instead of me.

Y/N: You’re selfish for deciding for me. For deciding what is best for me.

Aron: I know.. I –

Y/N: But I guess I understand where you’re coming from. But it doesn’t matter anymore. It’s all in the past.

Aron: Right… What was I thinking? You must be att-

Y/N: No, I’m still single.

Aron: Oh… okay.. emh.. So am I. There has never been anyone after you. I could never… you know.

Y/N: Hmm…

Aron: What I’m saying is… Y/N.. I really missed you.

Y/N: I miss you too bu-

Aron: Do you want to try again?

Y/N: You can’t do that. Coming back to my life when you let me go in the first place. Deciding if you want to stay or go.

Aron: I… I want another chance. I’m staying here for good this time. I might go off for months in the future, but I’ll always come right back. My heart has never left this place. It has never left you. I… I just want to come back to you… I’m asking for another chance.. I… can we can start by being friends.. I want to start all over again. I just want to see how it goes from there. I miss you. Not as my girlfriend but as a friend as well. The guys, yes they are nice. But our late night conversation was better. Even if you always doze off halfway listening to me. I enjoyed that a lot and I miss that a lot.

Y/N: I don’t know.

Aron: Tell me you don’t have any feelings for me anymore. I’ll understand. I’ll walk away this instant.

Y/N: You can’t do that.

Aron: Y/N.. Please.. don’t tell me I’m the only one who is feeling this. Please don’t tell me I’m the only one who wants to run up to you and hug you the first time our eyes met again. Please tell me I’m not the only one who is still in love with you.

Y/N: Aron…I

 

Your words were cut off from him tugging you to his chest. His arms tight on your waist. Head buried in between your neck.

 

Aron: I missed you.

 

His warm, you couldn’t help as your heart soften from his action. But before you could fully embrace being held by him after so long. He lets you go. Giving you a smile that doesn’t reached his eyes. His smile hiding his pain behind his eyes.

 

Aron: I’m sorry for asking so much. I understand. I.. I’m sorry for everything. You know.. seeing you again, my head has never been in the right place. I.. don’t know how I should act around you. I..i’m sorry. I was asking for too much. This is enough though. This is more than enough. I shouldn’t have been asking anymore from you. Thank you for agreeing to catch up with me. It’s was nice. I really had a nice time with you. And should have known when I crossed the line.

 

Taking off his jackets he puts it on you. Giving you another smile that doesn’t reach his eyes.

 

Aron: Take this with you. I know you hate the cold. You have been shivering for the pass few minutes. I should probably go off.

 

He gets up, dusting off his pants. Looking at him, you don’t know what to do. Your heart aches at the thought of him leaving. But your brain tells you it’s the right thing to do. There is so much other guys that you have yet to give a first chance to. But why don’t you want him to leave…

 

Y/N: Did you drink?

Aron: What..?

Y/N: Did you drink just now?

Aron: No… I didn’t. You should know I’m not big on alcohol.

Y/N: Could you drive me back to my place then. I had a couple of drinks.. And I have my car parked back there.

Aron: Are.. you sure?

Y/N: Hmm…

 

Standing up as well, dusting off your pants. You look at him, only to find him smiling wide back at you. You hope you’re making a right decision. Both of you have grown, both of you are not what you are 4 years ago. Maybe, just maybe, this time it will work out instead.