The Letter

Wedding Bells
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"How are you, son? We're already processing our papers, but we still have to wait for 6 months before we can finally be able to visit you there." My mom explains to me on the other line.

"No, mom. I'm fine. Don't worry." I assure her, because I know since I arrived in here, she did nothing but worry about me.

"I'm glad our Kookie is a strong and independent man. Just wait a little, we'll visit you. I promise." she soothes me.

Even on the other side of the world, I can still feel the warmth my mom sends me even just through hearing her voice.

"Thanks mom. I'll wait. I love you."

"I love you more, son. Take care." and I heard some kiss sounds that actually made me laugh a little.

At least, I can forget the loneliness for a while.

 

2 months ago, I received the acceptance letter from one of the well-known universities in the U.S. through the help of my father's boss. Ever since he learned that I want to become an Engineer, he has always thought that I can be his top Engineer once my father retires.

It's actually a good news to atleast mend my broken heart.

Cause it was the same day that I almost confessed, for the first time in my life, to the girl I may be in love with.

But perhaps, as a punishment to what I have done to Yeri, I just got rejected in the most tragic way.

I saw her and my bestfriend together.

Everyone's right.

They say, it's obvious. The two are in love with each other and that really, they're meant to be together.

!

Why was I so blind to not see that? Oh, cause Yugyeom has been telling me since the day I broke up with Yeri

"You have a chance, I think."

And so, I really thought I had.

But, unfortunately, I'm just an extra to their blossoming love story.

I really feel guilty.

 

I'm in second year college now. And I'm doing fine.

I've been doing well in class, gained some friends and currently employed in an Engineering firm as a clerk, to earn a little and pay for some of my unexpected expenses. Mom and dad also visit me every 6 months, so twice a year, I don't feel that lonely.

Lonely.

Do I feel lonely in here?

Absolutely, yes. But I have to survive.

Thankfully, Yugyeom calls me everyday and everytime I ask him "how's everyone?"

"She's fine." he'd say.

And we'll spend the entire duration of our call just talking about her.

She's now a sophomore in her dream university, Sungkyunkwan University, as a business management student. She also joined the music org, and just had her very first stage performance last month in their University fare.

She's doing really really fine.

According to Yugyeom, she didn't even cry or atleast didn't show it to them. Since that day, she hasn't mentioned anything about me and she didn't push the guys for any information about me. And so, my name has become an unofficial forbidden name.

I'm happy for her.

I wish, it's the same for me.

I wish I wasn't thinking about her everyday for two years now. I wish I can stop my mind from wondering how she is and I wish I can stop my mouth from asking about everyone everytime I speak with Yugyeom.

It has been 2 ing years, but still, here I am stuck with the thoughts of her.

I wonder, when will I ever forget about her?

And maybe, that time is near.

One night, on my way to my apartment, I dropped by a fastfood chain to grab something to eat when I bump into someone I never expected to see again.

"Jungkook?" I look at the familiar voice.

"Yeri?"

I saw her eyes b with tears before she confessed with a low voice "I missed you.. so much."

 

"We're here to stay for 2 weeks. You know how much mom wants to travel the world." she enthusiastically shares with me as I placed the burger I ordered for her.

Apparently, she's here with her family for a vacation. And now, we're eating together as if nothing happened.

She doesn't hate me. I wonder how she did that?

And I wonder how did I hurt a person this pure.

Then, I heard her chuckle, I look up at her, "You still don't remember. I don't eat tomatoes." then she whispers "Did you ever listen to me?"

. Am I an idiot huh?

After the long silence,

"How are you two?" she asks, it took me seconds to get what she's pertaining.

"Oh, that." I chuckled before I admitted "She likes someone else." I lowered my head as my heart once again broke when I was reminded with the bitter truth.

"Let's work things out." I instantly look up at her upon hearing her words.

We locked eyes for seconds, until she speaks again

"I'm still in love with you."

I clear my throat when her words sink in.

"I-- I'm still in love with her." I told her the truth.

I heard her fake a chuckle, then "It's okay. I just want us back."

"Yeri, you don't know what you're saying..." I then continue "I don't think my feelings are fading anytime soon."

I want to be honest with her. Because I don't really think Rosie will stop running in my mind.

"I don't care. Let's try, please." she says as she holds my left hand on top of the table with her tears flowing down her face.

 

"Let's get married." she tells me one night when she stayed in my place.

"It's been five years since we get back together, don't you think it's about time?"

What's with the rush? I want to ask but instead "Sure." is the only word I said.

How can I reject her when all this time, she stayed by my side?

5 years ago, after we accidentally bumped into each other, she came back months after that. She stayed first for a month and really did show me that she wants to work things out.

And I don't know what has gotten into me, but I gave us a chance. And since then, she regularly visited me maybe 4 times a year, for 1 month each, until I graduated.

My work has been eating all my time, I may be staying permanently in Korea but every month, I still travel to different parts of the world. I guess, my dad's boss wasn't joking when he said that I'll be his top Engineer. Cause clearly, the papers on top of my working table can beat Burj Khalifa.

And I really have no idea how Yeri can be so patient with our set up right now, that when she asked me to get married, I didn't have the heart to decline.

"Do you love her?" Hoseok hyung asked me when I told him that I'm getting married with Yeri.

"Does it matter? Yeri has been with me through it all. During my downs she was there."

"Are you okay with it?" he wants to clarify

"Somehow, I was not lonely for the past 5 years that I was with her. I survived. I guess, I can still do it in the following years."

After all, I'm quite certain, we're really for each other.

 

Are we?

This question instantly popped up my mind when I see how all my certainty and decisions quickly crumbled when I see her.

Now, I'm really wondering, is fate joking with me?

Cause, it's really not funny at all.

 

7 years have passed, but with just the sight of her, all my feelings came back.

Did they actually leave?

"Oh, Hi, Mr. Jeon Jungkook. I am Ms. Roseanne Park, your wedding organizer." when she said this with her gritted teeth and forced smile, I already knew what she wants.

Pretend as if we do not know each other. Or maybe, she really has erased me from her memory?

You see, the last time I heard of her name was five years ago, 3 months after I get back with Yeri.

"Are you not going to ask how's everyone?" Yugyeom questions me.

"No. Not anymore."

"Do you not want to hear about Rosie?" it surprises me how he decided to finally mention her name

"I'm back with Yeri. I guess, this is how things should really be." I chuckled a little.

"......"

"Yugyeom?"

"Ugh, no, bro. You're right. I'll not mention anything about her anymore. I'm glad everything's in their proper places now." with his tone, I don't really believe he's glad.

But, I just let it slip.

The moment I touched her hand, that's when I know, I'm doomed.

How come?

How come after all these years, she's still able to control what I feel.

And I wonder, how is she?

How are they?

Are they already married?

Oh, I'd rather not know the answer.

 

"I can't. I'm sorry. You can choose whatever you like, don't worry, I'm totally fine with anything." This is what I've been telling Yeri everytime she asks me to accompany her to meet our wedding organizer and discuss the wedding.

How can I possibly to that?

I don't want to ruin any relationship. Hence, I decided to just avoid her.

But I may be fate's favorite victim.

"Babe, you can't say no now. The venue is important and that's the only shedule we have. It's just going to be one night. Ms. Rosie's nice. Don't worry." she smiles sweetly at me as she tries to convince me to go with her.

 

Me : Hyung, do you think I should go?

Me : Hyung, answer me please.

Though I already arrived at the station, I am still contemplating whether to go or not, because I still don't trust myself when it comes to her. And Hoseok hyung, being the friend I always talk to about her, has not been replying to my messages.

Just then, I felt someone looking at me.

And without having the need to look, my heart already knows who it is.

Suddenly my phone vibrates,

Hobi Hyung : Don't. I don't feel good about this.

Me : Now, thanks for the advice. She's already here.

I decided to lift my eyes and there, I saw her.

"Hey." she greets me.

She's talking to me. And being the idiot that I am, I got nervous and stutter like a child "Oh, He-heyy.."

Jeon Jungkook, finish that goddamn sentence, "It's been so long." I told her as I look deep into her eyes. She just averts her eyes "Yeah.. so.. Let's get going." then walks past by me.

Calm down, Jungkook.

 

As soon as we get into our seats, she immediately plugged her earphones and went to sleep.

Her plan is as clear as the sun and that is to never talk to me during this entire trip. The ride was long, and I really can't bring myself to sleep when the woman I've always wanted to see is just right beside me.

I wasn't able to keep my eyes off her. As I look at her I realized how long have we not seen each other, she now wears a little make up and her hair has a little shade of brown. She looks more mature and more beautiful than ever.

Oh, she's shivering, she's probably cold. And without even thinking twice, I bring out the blanket from my bag, which Yeri packed for me, and put it over her body. I brush some of her hair that's covering her fa--

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter