Reunion

Wedding Bells
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jihyo : We're at the 2nd floor right now. Text me when you're here.

Me : We'll be there in less than 30 minutes. We're just getting the results from the vet. See you.

I am currently in a Veterinary Clinic together with Mina. Cause, you see, when I came back from Busan, I was welcomed by a very weak and sick Kai. He has not been eating like the usual; he eats atleast 2 carrots every meal time, but now, he barely touches a single carrot.

"Ms. Park?" the vet greets me with a warm smile, I return the greeting with a slight nod.

"How long have you had Kai?" she asks calmly.

I thought for a moment, "He was given to me when I was in 11th grade, probably 8-9 years ago, if I'm not mistaken." I informed her.

"Ah, really? It has been so long." she paused for a second, then "The lifespan of a rabbit, if taken good care, is 7-10 years. And I must commend you, it seems that you did a great job."

Though her words aren't direct, I felt a pang of pain in my chest. And, without knowing, a tear fell from my eye. I quickly wipe it and bravely clarified "So, i-is he, he you know, hmm.." I stutter, having a hard time completing a sentence.

"I'm sorry. It's inevitable, Ms Park." she then held my hand.

There, my tears just couldn't stop flowing. Mina rubs my back, then brings my head on her shoulder.

Anytime, Kai would leave me.

He's been with me for a long time now, I should be prepared to let go.

Goodbyes are natural. I just don't know how to accept it.

 

We went straight to the mall after Kai's check-up. We left him first in the clinic, since animals are not allowed inside this mall.

"So, you mean to say, Kai may be gone anytime soon?" Chae asks, sympathy evident in her voice. I just weakly nodded "Yes. Cause you know, it's been so long." I tried to convince myself that, really, this is a natural thing.

"Oh, right. I just thought, it really has been so long since Kai was given to you. This means, it has also really been so long since you have these unrequited feelings for someone's husband to be." Jihyo blurts out before realizing what she has just said.

"Oh God, I'm sorry, I didn't mean it." she says, then purse her lips in a thin line.

I gave her a small smile, "Don't worry, what you said was true, anyway."

Suddenly, Mina clapped her hands twice, "Ok, stop with all this. We still have to buy cute dress for the reunion."

 

The four of us spent almost the whole day just to have the best outfits for our reunion.

Reunions are like the gathering where you have to brag your achievements to the whole batch, it's like the judgement time to know if you soar up high or go down low. It'll be the first time we'll see the people who completed our high school lives; the people who challenged us, the people who annoyed us and the people we admired.

So, we made sure that we'll own that night.

Once again, I am the one in charge in sending Mina home but this girl seemed to have other plans "Let's go to the Han River. We haven't talked about that yet." her words full of concern.

Mina maybe a blank-faced person, who seems to have no emotions. But in reality, she's a kind-hearted woman, who cares so much about her friends.

We sat on one of the benches near the river, with coffee and doughnut to eat.

"You can now start, tell me about it." eyes focused to the river.

I take a deep breath before letting out the emotions I have been holding since 3 days ago.

"It's still there. The feeling seems to stick to me like glue." I chuckled a little then "He's still the same. He's still that nice guy, I fell in love with. I still feel so happy when I'm with him, I enjoy everything when it's with him. Food tastes more delicious when I'm with him, tiring activities doesn't get a bit of my energy when I'm with him." I sigh after my long ramble, and then admitted.

"9 years have passed but still, I'm in love with him." I stare into her eyes.

"So in love. I don't think it reduced even a little. It's still the same..." I paused for a moment, lower my head and snort, "And I hate it."

Now, I'm crying like an idiot.

"I should know by now that.. that.. the me and him that my heart has been wanting since grade 11, is ne-never going to happen. That he has been in love with somebody else, and --- th-that I'm... just..just.. an extra to their beautiful love story." I then gave her the most hurt smile I could offer.

"He didn't even say goodbye to me. That's how nothing I am to him."

My whole body is shaking, "Mina, what should I do? I'm tired of these feelings." She wipes the tears that's all over my face, then embraces me so tight. "Sshh. I understand. I know how you feel. Just let it out."

I cried for many minutes before finally calming myself down.

"Can I speak?" Mina speaks after the long silence.

"It's difficult, I know. But, you're a strong girl, Rosie." she scoffs then continues "To have endured this pain for so long, I can never consider you as weak." she looks deeply into my eyes and holds my hand.

"Let go. You know, I mean you may not know this actually, but Yugyeom and I tried to date. But, we are just not... meant to be." Though she lowered her head, I can see the sadness in her. "It was hard at first, but I just think of the times we spent together, as friends. And there, slowly, I have learnt to accept that, that's just how we should be. Friends."

I heard her sniff, then adds "Maybe, it's the same with you. Treasure the memories and the friendship." We both smile, finding strength in the presence of each other.

"Organizing his wedding, perhaps, is destiny's way of telling you that, it's time to finally let go."

 

"We look so great!" Chae exclaimed after we have our hair and makeu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter