essence 05; what are friends for.

Blossom's Essence; apply closed - story starting!

• • •

essence 05; what are friends for.

Jaemin looked at Xiyeon as she was looking at her phone probably texting Yeri. He didn't understand how she could be so nice to Yeoreum one moment then completely disregard her in the notions of the relationship Kitae and her had. "Why are you so against love and stuff? They are cute." He kicked a rock as he stuck his hands in his uniform jacket. 

Xiyeon looked over to Jaemin as she shook her head. "Who are you talking about?" She asked as she looked at him. 

"Yeoreum and Kitae," Jaemin said

Xiyeon shook her head. "You have no clue what he will put her through. At least I am playing you a fool." Xiyeon told him. 

"He's like you? But I thought-" Jaemin started 

"He's like me but a different species altogether. He is a tengu.  Granted, I think all men are horrible and only tools to a mean. They'll only break your heart once they get what they want." Xiyeon said 

"So Kitae wants her essence stuff like you with me?" Jaemin asked 

"Maybe, but tengus take a more intimate approach. They will wine you, dine you, eat you, and then disappear. But, Kitae is too over his head and has fallen in the toxicity called the plum blossom." Xiyeon shook her head. 

"So Yeoreum's flower if a plum blossom." Jaemin watched Xiyeon nod. "But I still don't think that is why you hate to love and getting close with people." Jaemin looked at her as she rolled her eyes. "Should I tell Yeoreum?" Jaemin asked 

"No!" Xiyeon grabbed his arm. "Never get involved with tengus especially around a blooming blossom. They'll rip you apart and I won't get what I came for." Xiyeon snapped at him. 

"So you want me to just lie to her about Kitae?" Jaemin asked "I thought-" Jaemin added 

"I know just let me worry about the girl. Tengus are territorial and he has eyes on him all the time. They watch for each other. I don't have a good relationship with them." Xiyeon started to walk again. 

"Okay, but I am not going to let Yeoreum get hurt or anything. When you say that you don't have a good relationship with tengu, are you meaning you use to date one?" Jaemin asked as Xiyeon gave him a glare. 

"I will not talk about my past with you." Xiyeon marched down the street as Jaemin hurriedly followed after her. Xiyeon started up the hill to her home as she looked back at Jaemin was jogging to them as his sisters had stopped him. Xiyeon nodded for him to go with them as she would just see him later. 

Jaemin looked at his sister's as he followed them inside. He kicked off his shoes as he could see his parents sitting at the table just going over bills and other pieces of paper that were on the table. "Is everything okay?" He asked as he sat down. 

"Oh Jaemin, how was school? Are you feeling okay?" His mother stood up as she grabbed a few tea mugs as she poured some more tea as she set down a mug in front of him and his sisters. 

"It was fine. I joined a club today with some friends I have made." Jaemin said 

"Oh, that is good." His father replied "What kind of club?" He asked 

"The art club," Jaemi said, "Is everything okay?" He asked again as he looked at all the paperwork on the desk. 

"Yes, it will be. Today we got a call from the hospital and all your bills and treatments have been paid for.  Even some of the girl's got scholarships to pay their tuition." His mother smiled as she pushed his tea towards him. "Drink this." His mother tapped his mug as Jaemin nodded as he sipped on just coughing a bit as he listened to his mother. 

"Everything has paid?" He asked as his father nodded. 

"Yes, and if the girls keep their grades up then their scholarships will pay for their schooling." His father said, "But we are trying to figure out how this happened and if we need to do anything more paperwork. We are just checking through some stuff." His father said, "Nothing for you to worry about." He added as Jaemin nodded. 

"Do you know who paid for everything?" Jaemin asked as he already knew who it was. 

"No, the hospital wouldn't tell us." His mother answered as she looked at him. "They say that it was a generous donation and we were picked by the donor. They told us to not worry about any more of the payments and they would send back our payment for this month that I mailed in." She added as she sipped on her own tea mug. 

"Well that is really good, I should go start working on my homework," Jaemin said as he stood up just grabbing his backpack as he started to his own room. He didn't really thin that Xiyeon would really pay for his medical bills and his sister's schooling. He looked at his phone as he hadn't gotten any texts from Xiyeon as she was probably still mad at him about trying to trick into telling him about her past. Jaemin took out his phone and texted Xiyeon with a simple thank you as he changed out of his uniform and into some comfortable clothes just getting out his homework and starting on it. 

•••

Yeoreum looked at Kitae as they were walking out of a convenience store as Yeoreum's mom had texted her to pick up something for supper. "My oldest brother probably won't be there. He doesn't live with us anymore." Yeoreum said as she held the bag from the store in her hand. 

"That is okay," Kitae said as they started to cross the street as he held on to her arm a bit as they walked. He let her go as they walked to her apartment building. Kitae followed her in as they walked to the elevator just heading up her family's apartment. 

"This is it," Yeoreum said as she typed in the door passcode as she walked in the entryway. "I am home." She called as they could hear the TV playing and talking. Yeoreum placed her shoes in the shoe closet next to the door as she watched Kitae place his shoes by the closet. Yeoreum motioned him to follow as she started down the hall just entering the living room as the tv was on a drama as Yeoreum dropped the bag on the small kitchen table. "Mom, this is Kitae," Yeoreum said as Kitae walked up beside her. 

Eunhwa turned away from the stove as she picked up the bag just taking out what she had asked Yeoreum to get as she smiled at Kitae. "Hi, I am Eunhwa, Yeoreum's mom. Yeoreum's dad, Yunho, will be home in an hour or so. Are you two going to study?" Eunhwa asked as Kitae nodded 

"Yes, Yeoreum needs to do well on her exams and then also on the college entrance exams so she can get into a good art school," Kitae said as Eunhwa laughed. 

"You sound like my husband." Eunhwa softly laughed 

"I'm home," Junseo called out as he walked into the kitchen. "Oh hey." Junseo passed them as he opened up the fridge just grabbing a can of soda. 

"Okay well, Kitae and I are going to go study now. Just call us when dinner is ready." Yeoreum pulled on Kitae's sleeve. She pulled him down the hall as she brought him to a door as she opened the door as she motioned for him to come inside. 

Kitae entered her room as he looked around just seeing the couple bookshelves of manga and all the anime figures lined around the room or hanging from the ceiling from fish wire. She has had a small desk with an electronic drawing pad on top of it with a computer next to it. She had a dresser with a tv on top with consoles around it. Her room was like a little art studio with another small sewing desk against the window. "Where are we going to study?" He asked as he watched Yeoreum hanging up her uniform jacket. 

"On my bed. That is where I usually study." Yeoreum set her backpack on a chair as she got her homework and books as she laid them on her bed as he nodded. 

"Uhm, well okay." Kitae sat down on her bed as he got out his books as he noticed her anime guy pillows and stuff then to all the posters and things. 

"Yeoreum, mom washed your boyfriends." Junseo opened up her bedroom door as he tossed some pillowcases as at her bed as they landed on Kitae. "Oh, sorry. can you give those to Yeoreum." He said 

"What are these?" Kitae asked as he placed them next to him as Yeoreum turned around to them. 

"Oh uhm, these are-" Yeoreum started as she reached for them. 

"They are her boyfriends. Here, I'll show you." Junseo snatched one as he grabbed one of the long pillows laying against her bed frame as he made it up just showing him. 

"Boyfriends. Many of them." Kitae blinked as he crossed his arms. 

"Stiff competition that you have." Junseo laughed as Yeoreum ran over to him just pushing him out. 

"Get out, butthole." Yeoreum snapped as she closed her bedroom door as she grabbed the others just placing them on her reading chair next to her bookshelves.  "Sorry, lets study now." Yeoreum crawled on her bed as she opened up her books. 

Kitae was still looking at the pile of pillows as he turned to Yeoreum. "Do you really think of them as your boyfriend?" He asked as he watched her ears get even redder as he looked at her. 

"Uh well, kind of." Yeoreum shrugged. "It really isn't a big deal. They keep me company when I am down, and stuff. Until now I haven't really had any friends or anyone to help me through the mean people and stuff." She added 

Kitae nodded as he looked at her. "Well, now you have me." Kitae nodded.

"As a friend," Yeoreum said as she looked down at her books. "Anyway, how do you do this problem." Yeoreum leaned back on her headboard as Kitae was sitting next to her. 

Kitae looked over to her. "No, I'm like them. Your boyfriend, but totally better because I can talk back and not just a piece of fabric." Kitae smiled at her 

"Well, uhm, you know, uh, -" Yeoreum fumbled with her words 

"Just smile and say okay." Kitae shook his head as he opened up his books as he looked at the packet that she had asked him about as he moved closer to her as she moved away as he moved closer as this kept going as Yeoreum almost fell off her bed as Kitae grabbed her arm just pulling her beside him. "Yah, dummy stop moving." Kitae flicked her forehead

"Sorry. I am just nervous." Yeoreum mumbled as she looked at her textbook.

"Why? Because I said I am your boyfriend?" Kitae asked "It is just like them. I am here for you and you can lean on me. Don't be nervous." Kitae told her "Now you didn't do the right formula on this one." Kitae said 

"Right just like them." Yeoreum sighed as she pulled her books up on her knees as she sat there just biting her lip as she re-did the problem that he pointed out.

"And by the way, no one will bother you again. I'll make sure of that." Kitae added as he looked at her. "And if anyone does mess with you then you tell me, okay?" Kitae looked at her as she nodded. "You're bad at math." He bluntly stated 

"I am not that bad. I just don't like it." Yeoreum responded as she was working on her packet. Yeoreum could hear her bedroom door opened as she could hear her dad's voice as she shoved Kitae away from her as her door opened. 

"Hello, here are some snacks." Yunho peeked his head in a Kitae glared at Yeoreum as he fixed his hair. 

Kitae took the snacks as he bowed his head a little. He set down the snack plate as he watched Yeoreum make at her dad he waved to them. "Why did you push me?" He moved back 

"I am sorry. I am panicked. It is my dad. He's never seen me around real boys." Yeoreum said 

"Don't do it again. Now about this problem, you should use this formula instead." Kitae said as he showed her how to do a problem. Kitae watched as she pushed her hair back as he looked around for a ponytail. He found one just pulling her hair up and tieing it up in a bun. 

"Thanks," Yeoreum mumbled as she flipped her packet over. "Do you know how to do this? I didn't take notes on this. I was reading a manga." Yeoreum said 

"I will take away your manga privileges if you don't pay attention in class. You want to go to a good school right?" Kitae asked her 

"Of course, I do but school isn't everything. I would rather be studying manga to learn how they are drawn or practice doodling to practice my skills." Yeoreum said Yeoreum set her study stuff aside as she walked to her desk just grabbing her drawing tablet just sitting back down beside him. She started to draw as Kitae closed his textbooks as he set them down as he watched her draw. 

"You are really good," Kitae noted as he watched her draw. 

"Thanks.." Yeoreum said as she heard her name being called. "Oh, I'll be right back," Yeoreum said as she set down her tablet as she walked out of her room. 

Kitae picked up her tablet as he looked through her other drawings just seeing some of her fan drawings of the guys that she had around her room and few cosplay ideas. He found drawings of a tengu as Yeoreum opened the door. "Sorry, I just wanted to look at your drawings? Where did you get this idea?" He asked 

"It is okay. Uhm, I dreamed of him. He looks kind of like you like an older version." Yeoreum said, "Dinner will be ready in a little bit." She sat down back next to him. 

Kitae laughed a little. "I guess that he does look a little like me. Have you ever drawn me?" He asked 

Yeoreum nodded as she grabbed one of her notebooks as she flipped through a couple of pages as she handed him a page as she had sketched a rough sketch of him just leaning on his elbow. "Just in class. I can draw you now if you want." She picked up her tablet as she turned to face him. "How do you want me to draw you?" She asked 

"Just like you usually would," Kitae said as he watched her draw just leaning on his elbows.  Kitae leaned over as she pulled up her tablet away from him. 

"No peeking," Yeoreum said as she started to draw again. After about fifteen minutes there was a knock at the door as Yeoreum looked up. "What?" She asked 

"Dinner is ready," Junseo said as he looked at the pair. "Aren't you two suppose to be studying?" He asked 

"Aren't you suppose to be living on your own and not mooching off your parents?" Kitae stood up as he helped Yeoreum as they walked out of her room. 

"You are so lucky that my parents are home," Junseo said as he followed behind them. He sat down at the table as he watched Yeoreum sit in her usual seat as Kitae sat down beside her. 

•••

Somin sighed as she wrote down another problem as she glanced at Joon just watching her study as he was pretending to study just throwing small paper balls into a trash can. She shook her head as she turned around her desk as she pushed up against his desk. "At least if you just going to stick around me then at least help me study," Somin said as she started back at making flash cards. 

"Why do you always study and not have any fun?" Joon laid his head on top of his books as he looked at her. 

"Because I have to do well and go to a good college. I want to have a life before whatever demon is coming after me to take it. You know I am walking and talking food source and at any moment I can die." Somin looked at him 

"Why are you telling me this?" He asked 

"Because I can't hide it anymore. I need someone to know. I am freaking out. I am always watching over my shoulder. The others just going on about their regular day. I am sure they don't know what is coming to them, but I do. It is scary." Somin said 

"Well then maybe I should tell you something too," Joon said 

"That you are the demon coming to get me?" Somin asked him 

Joon shook his head. "Not exactly, but I can protect you. Give you some peace of mind." He said as she shook her head. 

"What can you do? You don't have superpowers or anything." Somin said as she looked at him. 

"No, but I can be your friend. I can be there for you and someone you can talk to."  Joon said 

"All you've done is make fun of me, made me look absolutely crazy, and drove me crazy. I don't think that is what friends do." Somin glared at him

"No that is what best friends do, but they also listen and have your back. So don't worry, I won't any demon get you." Joon told her 

"No, you'll just push me in front of it to buy yourself more time to get away." Somin shook her head as she looked back at her study books. "Sometimes I think that what is the point of doing anything if tomorrow I could be dead," Somin mumbled 

"I won't let that happen, so stop worrying about that." Joon lifted his head up as Somin shrugged. "On this problem, you divide then use that number in this formula to find out the number," Joon told her as he wrote a few notes on her workbook. 

Somin sighed as she rubbed her temples as she closed her workbooks. "They are going to close soon and I still have to do my stuff for regular school," Somin said as Joon nodded. 

"I'll walk with you because you know we live in the same building." Joon started to pack up his stuff as Somin looked at him. 

"Okay. Do you want to get some ramen?" Somin asked as she watched Joon smirked at her. "You know because we shop at the same convenience store." Somin put her backpack on her back as she started to walk out with Joon. Somin walked out of the cram school as Joon walked next to her. Somin walked down the street as she stopped in the middle of the sidewalk as she looked at Joon. "Joon, I want you to be honest with me. You can do all these tricks that not regular magicians or humans can do. You will be honest with me now that we are friends?" Somin asked 

Joon stopped in the middle of the sidewalk just standing in front of Somin. "Yeah, I will." He said as Somin nodded. 

"You're one of them. A demon." Somin said 

"What gave me away?" Joon asked "My charming good looks, my great personality, -" He started 

"The other night at the cafe. You made me think I was in my apartment but I was at work when I woke up." Somin said 

"My packmates like to torment me." Joon sighed. "But, Somin, I meant what I said that I am your friend and that I can protect you," Joon said 

"The convenience store is going to close soon." Somin started to walk again. Somin held onto her backpack straps as she walked. 

"We are okay then?" Joon asked as he walked next to her. 

"What kind of ramen are you going to get?" Somin asked as she could see the lights of the store ahead of them. 

"I don't know. By the way, I'm a kitsune." Joon pushed open the doors to the convenience store. 

"I'll pay for it." Somin walked to the ramen aisle just looking at them. She grabbed as she walked around the convenience store just grabbing a few things as Joon walked up to her with what he wanted. They walked up to the cashier just paying for what they bought as they headed to Somin's apartment. Somin unlocked her apartment once they arrived just letting him in instead of him just appearing somewhere like usual. Somin set her backpack on her couch as she started for the kitchen. She put away what she bought just leaving the ramen on the counter as she started to make it. She looked back at Joon as he was leaning on the counter. "The ramen will be done soon," Somin said 

"You live here alone?" Joon asked 

"Yeah, my parents got their own place closer to where both of them work. They barely go home anyway since both of them work so much. If I keep up my grades and stuff then they don't care if I live alone." Somin watched Joon nod as he snapped his fingers as his things appeared. 

"Then I'll just stay here. I won't have to keep pretending to pay bills and lie about having a place anymore. Plus it will be easier to look out for you." Joon told her 

"No! You can't stay here." Somin glared at him. 

"I am already here so I am staying here," Joon said as he grabbed a couple of bowls as he handed them to Somin. "You can't get rid of me just accept it  and give me some ramen." Joon held out his bowl as Somin shook her head as she put in some ramen into it. 

"There are going to be some rules," Somin said as she looked at Joon. 

"Yeah, I don't follow rules so even bother telling me any." Joon sat down at the table just slurping up noddles. 

"You are so annoying. Don't bother me I'll be in my room studying." Somin grabbed her backpack as she held her bowl of ramen in her other hand as she walked off. 

•••

Sangwoo looked at his math homework as he had texted Minhyuk a question about thirty minutes ago and he hadn't answered him so he figured he was too busy playing video to answer his homework question. He looked up at the PC bang rooms as he updated everyone times and their time on the computers as many of extended their time. He hadn't seen Seohyun since after school when he dropped by his house to change and eat something quickly with his mom since he got put on the night shift tonight. He set down his homework as he made up a snack plate just taking it to the right room as he set down their snacks as he exited the room. He walked back to his post as he sat down on his stool just seeing a group walk into the room. "Hello, can I get you guys a group room?" Sangwoo asked 

One nodded as he sniffed the air. "Something smells like apples." One of the girls mumbled to another as Sangwoo was setting up their room. 

"That will be thirty dollars for the first hour," Sangwoo said as he handed them a snack menu as he grabbed a room key. "Follow me," Sangwoo said as he showed them his room as he opened up the room. "Enjoy," Sangwoo said as he walked back to the front desk as he started on his homework again. He looked at his phone as he texted Seohyun about the time he would be getting off if she wanted to walk him home or something. Sangwoo sighed as he finally got a response to his homework question as Yeoreum texted him the formula as he started to correct what he had done before. 

"Hi." Seohyun entered the PC bang. "How has your work been? I thought you didn't want me around so I didn't follow you until you texted me." Seohyun told him. 

"I was just wondering if you wanted to finish our agreement." Sangwoo said, "Did you have anything that you wanted to add?" He asked as Seohyun shook her head. 

"No, it is fine. I think your four months is a little silly but if I think of something then I'll let you know." Seohyun said as he looked at his queue board. "You have a snack order." She pointed out. 

"Oh, thanks. Can you at least check my homework?" Sangwoo asked as he started to get their order ready. Sangwoo watched Seohyun nod as he grabbed the tray of snacks as he walked off to the room. Sangwoo knocked on their room door as he opened it. "Just dropping off the snacks that you ordered." Sangwoo entered the room as he set down the tray as he placed everything on the small table as he looked up only to be stared at by the people as he watched one of them pushed the end table in front of the door. "What are you doing - you can't-" Sangwoo started as he watched tails and ears form on most of the people in the room. 

"We didn't order your snack food, but we ordered you, little apple blossom." One of the girls snapped at Sangwoo as he was pulled towards and across the coffee table as Sangwoo kicked at one as he felt his foot collide with a jaw as he rolled over the table. 

"I am not a snack." Sangwoo stood up as he looked at them. He kicked one just having his leg caught as he was picked up just dangling in the air as he sighed. "Seohyun!" Sangwoo yelled as he reached up just kicking at the just smacking one in the face as he looked at the water in one of the cups on the end table shake as it fell over. Sangwoo swung his free leg just hitting the person in the face as he dropped as he kicked another off him as they all lunged at him as he hurried to the other side of the room as his leg was grabbed again as he fell flat on his face as he felt teeth sink into jeans. He kicked at the person as he shoved the end table away as the door was thrown open as Seohyun stood there. "Aren't you suppose to protect me?" Sangwoo kicked at the person as he watched Seohyun waved her hadn as a wave of water smacked into the demon as she closed the door just pulled Sangwoo to his feet. 

"Yeah, well there wasn't big enough pool of water for me come in at. Plus I just can't use my powers in public and expose myself." Seohyun said as she flicked her wrists as she made balls of water just sending them at the group as she made a symbol on the ground in water as they all disappeared in gray blue smoke. "I sent them back to the demon realm. It doesn't look like the one that bit you broke the skin." Seohyun said 

"You get to clean up this room with me later." Sangwoo glared at her as she waved her hand as the room turned to normal. 

"These were lesser kitsune and other fox type demons. They probably followed your scent. There have been greater spikes in demon activity since we all found you." Seohyun said 

"That would've been nice to know. You should come to work with me and stuff." Sangwoo closed the door as he walked to the front desk. He closed down their room. "Who is going to pay for their overtime and snacks?" Sangwoo asked as Seohyun handed him some cash. 

"This attack wasn't that bad. They were baby demons, so just forget it. Besides, I'll stick by you so you won't' be scared." Seohyun nodded at him. 

"I am not scared. It is your job." Sangwoo said as he looked at her. He watched as the next person to take over the last shift was already there just had been restocking the snack area. "Just let get my stuff and clock out." Sangwoo started to grab his stuff as he stuffed it in his backpack as he swung his backpack on his back as he then clocked out just going over to Seohyun. 

"Come on, I'll walk you home," Seohyun said as they walked out of the PC bang. 

"Oh yeah, I texted Yeoreum for homework help so she said to come on over. Well, I mean to the cafe near her place. She is there with Kitae." Sangwoo said as he started down the street as Seohyun nodded. "By the way, thanks for helping me," Sangwoo said 

"No problem. Like you said it is my job, but I would like to think that it is because we are friends and friends help each other out." Seohyun said as she walked down the street with him. 

Author's note: Hi guys, here is a new chapter. I hope that you like it!