Chapter 1

Bound to Eternity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chaotic and quiet, serene and stormy, foaming and boundless: humans have always been drawn by the sea. It was full of secrets and it carried so many stories to tell.

The legends that surrounded the sea motivated people to learn, explore and admire its magnificence, but not even in their wildest dreams they could imagine the wonderland that was hidden from their eyes.

Merman Crown Prince Jaejoong though, knew the sea like his own tail.

The fact that he was from royal blood had never stopped him from sneaking out of the palace and to explore his surroundings.

The Prince was deeply loved by his people; he was kind and warm-hearted.

And even though his father had never approved of his habit of leaving the palace without guards, he frequently had no choice but surrender in front of his beautiful son’s ferocious pout.

Yes, beautiful. Prince Jaejoong was beautiful. His eyes were a mesmerizing baby blue and his hair was blond. His pouty lips could start and end any war. His tail’s color could change its shades depending on his own mood.

He was known for his ethereal beauty in the whole underwater kingdom and the king had lost count of all the times he himself had to reject the marriage proposals for his son. Both mermen and mermaids wanted to have him for themselves.

Not that the king could blame them, but it was still early for the young prince to marry. His life had just started and his father didn’t want to force him for now.

 

Today was the prince’s 17th birthday, and when merpeople turned 17 years old they were allowed to go to the surface and see the world above for the first time.

The most important rule for merpeople was to never intentionally reveal  their own nature as a creature of the sea. If this was to happen, around the culprit’s neck and wrists would appear golden chains and he/she would be exiled to an island, unable to touch the water for eternity, inexorably leading to a painful mummification process.

The king had decided to throw a huge party to celebrate his second son’s birthday.

 

That afternoon there was a knock on Jaejoong’s door.

“Joongie” the king called from behind the door.

A melodious “come in” was heard from the bedroom.

The king opened the door and found his son lying on his bed, staring at the colorful fish swimming around his chamber’s ceiling.

Jaejoong looked at his father and smiled sweetly.

“Father” he beamed.

“What are you doing, son? Why are you not getting ready?” the king asked while approaching the bed and finally sitting down next to him.

“I was just thinking…” he explained.

“Is there something bothering you?”

Jaejoong shook his head lightly. “Not at all, Father. Sometimes I just ask myself if I did something wrong to Boa. She seems to hate me.”

The king looked at his son thoughtfully.

Since the day Jaejoong was born, his older sister Boa had always showed jealousy towards him.

Jaejoong didn’t know the reason, but it could be because of the countless marriage proposals, or because people had always admired and praised his beauty. Or because one of those who wanted to take Jaejoong’s hand in marriage was none other than her first love.

It was true that his daughter was always a little bit cold towards Jaejoong, but the king didn’t think this was a big issue.

He put a hand on his son’s shoulder. “She doesn’t hate you, Joongie. How can anyone hate you? It’s normal to fight between siblings. Don’t worry about it! When you grow up things will change and I’m sure the bond between the two of you will grow strong. Your sister is a sweet girl and even if she doesn’t show it, she loves you.” He stated.

Jaejoong didn’t want to upset his father further, so he just nodded and gave him a small smile. The king didn’t notice in that moment, but sadness clouded his son’s ethereal features.

“Are you excited? From now on you’ll be able to swim to the surface and see the land.”

Jaejoong’s eyes sparkled at the mention of going to the surface. He really couldn’t wait to go there. Truthfully he didn’t really care about the party. He didn’t like these kind of events. There was nothing more satisfying than starting a new adventure for him. 

“I can’t wait, Father!”

“Now get ready, son!” His majesty stood up and went towards the bedroom’s door “a lot of people will come for you tonight!” and he left, closing the door behind him.

Jaejoong sighed and a few minutes later another knock was heard. He couldn’t help but to roll his eyes.

“Who’s-“ he couldn’t even complete his question. He had the time to see a flash of mint colored hair and suddenly he found himself with a handful of his best friend between his arms.

“Joooongieeeee! Happy birthdayyyyyy” the newcomer squealed.

“Yah, Junsu! You sorry excuse for a dolphin! You’re choking me!” the prince grunted, but his expression was warm. He loved his best friend.

“Joongieee” Junsu whined “how can you be so mean?” He pouted.

Jaejoong laughed at his best friend’s cuteness and hugged him.

The two of them were the same age and they grew up together. There were no secrets between them.

They liked to explore together and Junsu had been secretly studying magic. This was a huge secret, because if he was to be caught he would be exiled. Magic was forbidden. But it was Junsu’s dream and Jaejoong supported him. His magic didn’t hurt anyone and in the last months it had been interesting to see Junsu studying hard to accomplish his dreams. 

Jaejoong on the other side, was interested in everything related to the human world; he liked to collect objects and books that had fallen from ships in the past. 

Unknown to anyone else, Junsu and Jaejoong had a secret library full of objects they had found. Books were a big part of it. They both loved to read every genre and thanks to Junsu’s magical skills, the books were stored in air pockets so that they could stay dry. 

Junsu looked towards the door and when he was sure no one else was there, he closed his eyes in concentration and raised his hands.

“What are you-“

“Sssshhh” Junsu whispered.

He smoothly moved his hands and murmured something Jaejoong didn’t grasp and suddenly a red sparkle lit up the room and a fluffy four legged  creature materialized between the two of them.  

The Prince’s jaw dropped as the fluffy thing swam into his arms and snuggled against his neck making sounds he didn’t recognize.

“W-what is this, Suie?” Jaejoong’s eyes gleamed.

“It’s called dog.”

“I know what is it, I mean, I read about dogs in our secret library and-“

“Yes, and after you read about it you obsessed over it sooo bad I wanted to cut my ears off because I couldn’t take your whining anymore.” Junsu grinned.

Jaejoong pouted.

“Stop doing that!” his best friend said, rolling his eyes. “Anyway they say that a dog is its owner’s best friend. Well, of course I don’t want it to replace me. I’m your best friend, okay? Don’t forget it!” Junsu blabbered. “This is my birthday present for you! Happy 17th birthday Jaejoongie.”

Jaejoong’s eyes glistened and he hugged his best friend.

“Thank you so much, Suie! This is the best present

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter