A little spice

Cinnamon spice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

   Some days, Sana felt sad.

   It didn’t happen often, but she was human - and even though her friends revered her as some sort of personification of the sun, there were days when she felt a little down, a little withdrawn and in need of some comfort.

   So when Sana woke up and felt the looming weight of pressure on her mind, or finished a particularly gruelling lecture with that professor who felt the need to incessantly pick on anything and everything she contributed to conversation, she would take a deep lungful of air and begin to make her way to the little coffee shop at the edge of the campus.

   The walk was short, only five minutes or so from her dormitory and a little over ten minutes from the lecture hall. Some days she’d have her ear buds in, music at full volume and drowning out the world around her until she was focusing on nothing but the rhythmic procession of her footsteps to the beat of whatever song decided to play. Other days she’d listen to the world around her, absorbing the conversations of college kids ambling slowly to their next lecture and the way the wind fritted playfully in the boughs of the trees. They would creak amicably in response, old and weathered to the world around them, and Sana would nod her head in blissful agreement.

   The trees would keep her company all the way to the tucked away wooden door of her favourite little getaway, wishing her farewell with a swish of their branches and the rustle of their leaves. She’d take another breath before placing a hand on the worn, dated door and push. The bell would chime to alert her arrival, a shrill noise piercing the absent-minded cloud of
thought she’d worked herself into and as annoying as it was - it was kind of exactly what she needed.

   Feet forward. Left, right, left, right. Twelve steps to reach the counter and look up into the eyes of the usual barista who had better things to do than worry about a girl in a slump.

   Except.

   “Hi! What can I do for you today?”

   A soft, high voice floated over the countertop before Sana had even finished dragging her feet there, causing her to look up prematurely into an entirely new face. She stills, not quite used to this routine being broken (and it was very much a routine at this point) and gaped a little - partly because she didn’t really know what to say, even though it was fairly obvious.

   (Partly because said barista was smiling at her rather endearingly the entire time.)

   “Do you need some time to think?” The cute barista leaned over the top, play-whispering even though there was no-one else in the shop to overhear them. Sana coughed to clear the tangled words in and hoped that the girl would think the flush on her face was from the brisk walk she’d taken here.

   “Ah no, that’s alright.” She shook her head good-naturedly, sending the girl the best attempt at a smile as she could muster at the moment.

   At this point she’d usually state her regular order: hazelnut iced coffee with a healthy amount of cream, and sit pensively by the window and watch the world until the sun began to dip in the sky and her cup had long since emptied.

   But instead, she finds herself blurting out “What would you recommend?” to the cute barista who still hasn’t stopped smiling.

   Said smile disappears as neat eyebrows knit together in thought, nose scrunched ever so slightly as she hums absently.

   Oh no, Sana thinks.

   “I really like hot chocolate, actually. Is that alright?” She grins again and Sana feels something lift in her chest.

   “Yeah. Yeah, that’s more than fine, thank you. How much is that?”

   “Oh don’t worry, it’s on the house.”

   Sana’s eyes widen in surprise, an argument ready on the tip of her tongue.

   “Are you allowed to do that?” 
   

   The girl hums again, a soft rumble in and Sana is leaning forward without realising it.

   “I don’t know.” She laughs. “Just don’t tell my boss, I guess.” She mimes zipp

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter