One Step Closer

This Is Us

 

Amber POV


 

As i walked down the hallway in school, there would always be people calling me a freak, weirdo and retard. But i’m used to it… since young…everybody would call me that… it’s okay, i’m used to it…i like to be alone anyways… in my own world..i’m different from others after all…since young, my doctor told me i’m a little different from others, that i have the…autistic spectrum disorder.


 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Next Day( Friday)





 

Today’s math class has been a little different. That girl sitting beside kept moving her chair closer to me and no matter how many times i shifted my table further away, she would do the same. She also kept talking to me throughout the lesson even though i didn’t reply her... She said her name was Krystal…





 

Krystal POV



 

After learning about Amber from Leeteuk yesterday, I finally knew why she was so different from others.





 

Flashback~



 

“...she was diagnosed with the autistic spectrum disorder.” so that was why she was clearly so different from others…


 

“She was so lonely since young, always in her own world since no one would accept her except for her own family. Everyone thought she was a freak and stayed away from her, like she was carrying some sort of contagious disease. No one gave her a chance, just because she was different. Some even bullied her, mocked her, it really hurts my heart whenever i see her being sad because no one would accept her. People always assume, assume that people like her would have no emotions, assume that she is stupid when her IQ is higher than they could ever imagine, assume that she can’t have friends because she is different. Like always, humans always hate what they don’t understand.” Leeteuk scoffed.




 

End Of Flashback~














 

Now that i think of it, how sad and lonely must Amber be, having faced that for 16 years of her life…



 

And no, i’m not going to treat her like how everyone did. I will never want to give up on her, i want to help and protect her. She didn’t deserve all those crap that others gave her. I want to be her friend, I want to let her know that she’s not alone.












 

And so during class, i kept moving my seat nearer to her, and kept talking to her. Although she didn’t reply, i knew she was listening. I don’t mind taking baby steps to reach out to her because i believe that one day, she would finally accept me.










 

Author POV

 

From that day onwards, during every lesson in class, Krystal would shift her seat nearer to Amber and talked to Amber about herself. On the first two days, Amber would always shift her table away whenever Krystal went nearer to her but as days passed, Amber stopped moving away.


 

And rarely, Amber would reply to Krystal, though her replies were always one-word replies.


 

But this motivated Krystal to do work even harder, she tried even harder each day just to be able to hear Amber’s voice.












 

Amber POV




 

Lately, there has been this girl named Krystal, every lesson without fail, she would talk to me... At first, i avoided her her, but as time passes, i think i got used to her presence. Sometimes, I would reply her...Her voice seems to always bring me warmth... I like it, she’s a little different from others, to me, she’s warm.



 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




 

I was resting my head on my table since the teacher haven’t came into class. She’s not here yet… her seat was empty.

 

Was she not coming school today? My heart strangely felt emptier than usual and i don’t like it.


 

The teacher already came into class but she was not here yet.

So she’s really not coming to school today?



 

Unlike in the past, I was not interested in the math questions given today, I couldn’t concentrate, unknowingly i kept glancing to her empty seat…



 

“Sorry Mr Choi, there was an emergency back home and i was late as a result.”


 

That voice… i immediately looked up and saw her.

So she was late… My heart was somehow warmer and i felt happier…?


 

She sat down in her seat and as usual, she moved her seat nearer and talked to me.


 

“Sorry something crop up and i had to attend it , so i was late. Which page of the textbook is he at?”


 

“ Pg 234.”



 

After my reply, she frozed in her seat and asked,” You replied me…? You never replied me whenever i asked you that…”


 

Krystal POV



 

I smirked and , “ Did you perhaps missed me when i was gone?”


 

But she didn’t reply me but she turned her head away. Oooo was she perhaps feeling a little shy? ;))))))))

It’s okay, today we made good progress hehe.



 

And after all these days of observing her, I found out that she’s seriously smart, i mean she was the top of the school! She's seriously good at math, geography, science and literally every subject. Yet people think she’s dumb? WTF Bro, if they saw her results i bet they would be so ashamed of themselves that they would probably quit school.



 

Not only is she gifted as , she has some seriously good looks which could easily trump those boys’ whose ego is higher than Taipei 101.

 

Next time when we become closer, i’m definitely gonna give her a makeover. I’ll cut her fringe that covers her beautiful eyes and change her fashion. One flaw that i found out about her? She has terrible fashion sense alright… Like a fashion terrorist. Yep.

 

I can’t help but to fantasize about the makeover i’m gonna get her next time:P It would be amazing hehe.












 

After school, as i was about to return home, i heard some noises coming from the locker area…


 

Out of curiosity, i walked there and what i saw made me INFURIATED.

 

I saw a group of boys with and Amber on the ground. They were calling her names and insulting her. They even punched and kicked her, that i could see the bruises on her skin and blood was trickling down her cheeks.




 

Author POV



 

As Amber was walking passed the locker area, the group of boys purposely bumped into her and insisted that she bumped into her on purpose. They then started to punch and kick her.

 

“ You freak! Why are you even in this school huh?!”

 

“You should know your ing place! This is not a place for the retarded, you don’t belong here.”

 

“How’s my kick? I bet it hurts like HAHAHAHA!”


 

Amber couldn’t do anything about the situation, she couldn’t fight back or run away, she’s outnumbered and the punches and kick hurt a lot for her.


 

Although she had been bullied in middle school in the past, it wasn’t to this extent, no middle schooler’s punches and kicks would have that much impact.



 

Fortunately, Krystal showed up, and the cowards seeing her icy glare, and sensing her anger, they ran away. Krystal was the heiress of the Jung Conglomerate after all, knowing that, they wouldn’t risk offending her.

 

After they ran away, Krystal immediately went to Amber’s side and inspected her bruises and wounds.





 

Amber POV




 

Krystal came and the boys ran away. Their punches hurt a lot, i couldn’t help but to cry due to the immense pain i felt. My body was aching all over.


 

Krystal helped me up and brought me to the infirmary.

At the infirmary, as i was still crying, she hugged me, and wiped my tears.

 

She kept whispering to me “ It’s alright, it’s alright, you’re safe now.”  At first my body was very tensed, i was not used to others hugging me and having physical contact. But she was so warm and gentle, it made me feel safe, I did not know why but my body relaxed on its own and sensed warmth. I eventually stopped crying and then she started to help me clean my wounds.

 

She was being really careful not to hurt me while helping me apply the ointment. She furrowed her brows and her eyes were fixated on my cuts and bruises while helping me. I don’t know why but i thought that i could look at her like this all day long, I wouldn’t mind.




 

No one other than Leeteuk and my family has ever cared so much about me. She’s the first one to do so, she’s indeed different from others. Although my bruises hurt a lot, I was somehow happy and glad…






 

Krystal POV



 

After cleaning her up, I called Leeteuk and informed him about Amber. He sounded so worried on the phone and i had to assure him that she’s alright now.

 

I’m glad that Amber has Leeteuk with her and that he cared so much about her wellbeing, at least i know she’s not completely alone.



 

Before their car drove off, Amber said,” Thank you K-Krystal.”

It was said softly but i managed to to pick it up. Before i could react, they already drove away.

 

After registering her words in my mind, I was grinning like a total idiot. I was  jumping around and cheering like crazy inside my head.


 

Do you know how many days i waited for that?Finally my efforts paid off! She thanked me! HIP HIP HORRAYYYYYYY~






 

While lying down on my bed, I can’t help but to think about her words over and over again.


 

Then i suddenly realised something that made me jump on my bed in joy! Amber called me “Krystal” for the first time…………….




 

“Krystal”

 

“Krystal”

 

“Krystal”  

 

“She called me Krystal~” ^-^



 

I don’t know why but the way she said my name just made in feel so happy~  Oh Krystal, you do know the reason ;-)

 

But i pouted as i thought of how my smart brain did not react in time and replied her or something:-(

What if she felt rejected that i didn’t give her a response?Urghhh stop thinking about it Krystal Jung Soo Jung!


 

That night, i couldn’t fall asleep at all, happy thoughts of Amber kept flooding into my mind and i was replaying her voice in my head all night long.



 

 

 

Thank you for taking your time to read this fanfic, i really appreciate it a lot. If you like this fanfic, do subscribe,upvote and comment! I would be busy the next few days so i do not know if i’ll be able to update daily as i’m going to collect my results tomorrow and choose my new school over the next few days, so i’m sorry if i might not be able to update daily.