Eve's lies

If It's Meant To Be

Jaebum’s eyes widen at the breaking news he read on the way home,

‘Inkigayo’s three MCs, actress Kim Yoojung, Got7’s Jackson and BTOB’s Sungjae rushed to the hospital’

He quickly called Jackson to make sure he was okay. Jackson answered on the third ring, “Hyung, I’m fine. Don’t worry.” Jackson tells him. Jaebum sighs in relief. “How about Yoojung-ssi and Sungjae?” Jaebum asks.

“We’re all okay. Well, I can’t say the same to the staff that came with us though. She was the one who saved us. She pushed everyone out of the way and was the one who got hurt instead.” Jaebum heard murmurs from the other line and concluded someone else was talking to Jackson.

“What is it?” Jaebum asks after the murmuring stopped.

“The girl just finished her X-ray. We’re all waiting for her so we can thank her. We don’t know how she is, she’s taking too long for someone who just injured their arm. We already asked for VIP treatment and all.”

“You don’t know her name? How are you supposed to thank her?” Jaebum shakes his head.

“Sungjae ah, what was her name again?” Jaebum chuckled when he hears Jackson asking the question, he heard Sungjae’s voice answering Jackson, “Her name’s Eve Huang.” Jaebum’s eyes widen, “Eve? Which hospital are you guys at?” Jaebum asks hurriedly.

Jackson told him and he took the nearest U-turn and arrived at the said hospital 30 minutes later.

“Hyung…why are you here?” Jackson’s eyes widen at Jaebum’s presence. “Where’s Eve-ssi?” Instead of answering his fellow member, he asks him another question. Jackson, not used to his leader’s actions, raised his eyebrows. “You know her?” Jackson asks him another question. Jaebum glared at his dongsaeng, “Sungjae, maybe you know where she is?” Jaebum turns to Sungjae instead.

“Ms. Huang is ready to meet you all.” A nurse announced before Sungjae could say anything.

Jaebum was the first person to enter the room. There wasn’t any other patient there since it was a VIP room. He spots Eve in her clothing earlier but now her left arm was cast and she’s currently having an argument with the nurse. She didn’t seem to notice the new visitors in the room, yet.

“Look, I’m not going to repeat myself again. I’m not staying here. Not for the night, and definitely not for a week, okay? I have stuff to do, people to take care of. Besides, I’m not that sick.” Jaebum knew that tone. That was the tone she uses when she was irritated or annoyed but struggled to remain polite.

Eve was packing her stuff and ing them into her bag. She was having a hard time to use one arm only though, and she was close to blowing up. The nurse wasn’t helping either since she was still trying to admit Eve into the hospital.

“Ms. Huang, please. You’re blood pressure is low. And I knew that below all that make up are dark circles. Your skin is pale and I can tell that you’ve lost weight recently. We need to run more test, you’re overworking yourself. This happens to a lot of people.”

Jackson and Sungjae glanced at each other, thinking the same thing; they’re invading her personal space right now. Jaebum, who was standing in front of them, had his arm crossed though, waiting for Eve to notice them.

“Yes, well, I should be happy that I have something to do, okay? Thank you for your concern, but I have to go.” Eve grabs her black leather jacket that was lying on the bed and turned around after bowing to the crestfallen nurse.

dropped when she spotted the three men staring at her, especially the one who had his arms crossed.

“Jaebum-ssi…” She looks over his shoulder and saw Jackson and Sungjae smiling at her. Her demeanor changed again as she threw them a smile. “Why are you guys here? …Are you guys hurt anywhere?” She asks as she walks over to them.

Jackson and Sungjae stepped forward. “No, we’re fine. We just wanted to say thank you. Yoojung was waiting for you but she couldn’t wait. She asked us to send you her gratitude though.” Said Jackson. Sungjae nods, “How is your arm?” He asks, deciding not to ask about her health.

Eve smiles, “You guys are so kind. You didn’t have to wait for me. And my arm is okay, the doctor said it’ll heal in two weeks top.” She avoided Jaebum’s eyes as she speaks. “Let’s er… go outside.” Eve said after a while, they were still in the VIP room.

“Thank you by the way,” Eve says, “For getting me the VIP treatment. Once again, you didn’t have to.” She looks at Jackson and Sungjae. They are now in the lobby. Got7’s and BTOB’s manager are both waiting patiently for their idols.

“How are you going to get back home?” Jaebum asks, speaking for the first time. Eve clears , painfully aware of Jackson’s and Sungjae’s stare of curiosity. “The bus. I’m gonna wait for the bus.” She answered hastily. “At this time?” Jaebum scoffs. Eve groans inwardly, what is this? This is so drama-ish.

“Yes. At this time.” She answered, looking at him now. “I didn’t bring my car, remember?” Jaebum shakes his head and said, “Come then, I’ll send you home.” He turns to Jackson and Sungjae, “I’m glad you two are okay. Jackson, you just follow Minsu hyung home and rest, okay? You have an early schedule tomorrow. You rest well too Sungjae, Eve-ssi, let’s go.”

Eve had wide open and she scoffs at Jaebum. Who does he think he is? “I never said, yes.” Eve hissed when Jaebum started to take her bag from her so he can carry it for her. “And I’m not taking no as an answer.” Jaebum smirks and flings the bag over his shoulder. “Are you coming or do you want me to carry you?” Eve still had opened after she bows to Jackson and Sungjae. She was cursing in Chinese as she followed Jaebum from behind.

“Woah…” said Sungjae. Jackson nods his head, “‘Woah’, indeed Sungjae-ah. Come on then, we’re can’t let our managers wait any longer.” The two of them approached their manager.

“Who was that with Jaebum?” Got7’s manager, Kim Minsu asked. Jackson shared a look with Sungjae before shrugging, “I think she’s a friend.” Jackson finally answered. Sungjae laughed, Minsu manager wasn’t so satisfied with the answer but didn’t press the matter. “Come then, let’s get you home so you can get some proper rest.”

***

“I told you, I’m not hungry.” Eve glared at Jaebum. Jaebum smirks at her, “And I told you, I’m hungry.” Eve scoffs and rolled her eyes. She was gritting her teeth now. How the hell did she get herself into this situation?

On the way home, Jaebum made a stop in the restaurant where the two first met. They entered through the back door and because Jaebum was a star customer here, they got them a table within minutes.

“Just order something, will you?” Jaebum’s tone soften and so did Eve’s glare to him. She sighs, grabbed the menu and ordered the first thing that came into her mind. “There, done.” She snaps. She was looking sideway and refused to look at Jaebum.

“Why are you so angry anyway?” Jaebum asks, not understanding her at all. “I knew you haven’t eaten anything all day. And you would only sleep when you reached home anyway. I’m trying to help you here.” Eve still refused to look at him and he heard her mutter something in Chinese but didn’t understand.

The food arrived and she still wasn’t talking to him. Jaebum sighs, but he too, doesn’t know what else to say. They ate in silence. Jaebum glancing at her every now and then but her eyes were focused on the food and she didn’t look up once. She ate extremely fast for someone who injured their arm.

They were back in the car but the trip back to Hana’s apartment took longer than usual because they were caught in traffic. Eve finally spoke when it started to rain.

“Why did you help me?” She asked in a small voice. If Jaebum wasn’t paying attention to her, he’d never hear the question.

“What do you mean? Aren’t we…well, aren’t we friends?” Jaebum looked at her. Eve lets out a small smile, barely noticeable but he saw it, nevertheless. “Friends…” She repeats under her breath. “I thought I was only friends with Hana unnie. I don’t have any other friends here.” The confession took Jaebum by surprise. He was right then; she doesn’t have many friends too. “Well, I’m your friend. That’s final. And friends, they help each other. They don’t lie to each other.” Eve smiles at that but she didn’t correct him. That’s how he knew he guessed right once again. She did lie to him all these times.

***

When Jaebum drove back to his dorm, all of Eve’s lies played in his head.

“Hey, is it me or are you wearing more make-up these days?” Jaebum asks one Sunday morning. Eve eyed him and laugh loudly, “Jaebum-ssi, I’m surrounded by celebrities all day, I’m bound to wear make-up. And let’s not forget that one specific idol is with me 24/7.” He didn’t think it was anything back then, she was so natural at it.

Jaebum stops at a red sign and sighs.

A few days after that, Jaebum forgot his phone in Hana’s apartment. He came to the apartment at the break of dawn and found Eve in the living room, eyes stuck on a paper in front of her. She was reading it and then typing stuff on her laptop. The living room was full of Korean to Chinese dictionary and papers lying around. He even saw some drama scripts but was caught by her before he could read the title. “Oh, Jaebum-ssi.” She greets him with a tired smile, “You’re phone is on the counter in the kitchen.” She points to the kitchen. He went into the kitchen, grab his phone and came back to the living room. “Have you slept?” He asks bluntly, making her chuckle. “Of course. I slept early last night so I could start early.” He was reluctant to believe her then, but he still did.

Jaebum parked his car and noted that it was way pass midnight. The car accident on the road really delayed his ride back.

“Eve-ssi, is it just me or did you lost weight?” Eve looks up to him (she was reading another script), “Me? Lose weight?” She said in a really convincing surprise tone, “I think it’s just you Jaebum-ssi.” And then she gave a really convincing laugh afterwards.

He never knew he paid such attention to the girl. But he was bound to of course. They never shared long conversation (except if it’s about Hana) but they always seem to pay attention to small details. Or at least he does. Like how she always dresses in dark colors, her favourite jacket is the black leather jacket and how she always has her laptop with her at all times. He also notices how she knew how he likes his coffee to be brew or how she picks his favourite side dishes and gives it to him whenever they have dinner together.

How long has it been? A month? Two? He lost count. But in that short time, he realizes that he enjoyed spending time with Eve. Well, he enjoys spending time with Hana too of course but she was so out of it lately that he never speaks to her unless if it’s to ask her to eat or something. Haera is still out of town because of her job and s are busy with their own individual schedule. He never really realizes how spending time with Eve made him less lonely.

Jaebum punches the code in and entered the dorm. He can hear Youngjae playing games on his computer in their shared room but other than that, it was quite.

“Hyung, you’re home.” Youngjae opens his headphone to greet their leader. Jaebum smiles at their main vocal and nods, “Playing games again, Youngjae-ah?” Youngjae smiles sheepishly and nods.

“Have you eaten?” Youngjae asks. Jaebum opened his shirt and threw it on the pile of his other unwashed clothes before giving Youngjae a nod. Youngjae became silent after that, making Jaebum raise his eyebrow, “What is it?” He asks the younger. Youngjae bites his lips, and then said,

“Jackson hyung said you gave a staff a ride home today. You’re only female friends are Hana noona and Haera noona, who is she then?” Jaebum understood immediately and shakes his head with a laugh.

“Is that what’s been bothering you all? Goodness, she’s Hana’s friend. Her name’s Eve and she’s actually a script-writer…” Jaebum’s voice trailed off. Wait a second, Eve’s a script-writer, why is she working as a staff member in Inkigayo? She said a senior of her needs assistance, is this what she has been assisting them on? Is she being used and bullied by her seniors?

“Hyung?” Youngjae’s voice snapped him out of his trance. “Oh? What were you saying?” Jaebum says distractedly. “We were talking about your new friend? Eve-ssi?”

“Ah, right.” Jaebum continued, “Like I said she’s Hana’s friend. That’s how we met. She and I have been taking care of Hana lately. You do know what happened, right?” Youngjae nods. Who doesn’t what happened to Hana and Sungjin?

“Well, I’m off to bed Youngjae ah. Don’t stay up too late.”

Jaebum grabbed a towel and took a quick shower. He then lay down on his shared mattress with Youngjae, closed his eyes and tries to go to sleep. It still wandered off to his unanswered question though… Why is Eve working as a staff in Inkigayo when she’s actually working on a drama right now?

Jaebum sighs, Eve and her little lies.

 

 

 

 

A/n: So here's a chapter that focuses on Jaebum as promised. Hope you enjoyed this update =)