Rough Waves

If It's Meant To Be

It wasn’t all rainbows and sunshine. Sungjin wasn’t perfect and nor was Hana. Their fights got bigger, it even last longer. But they were both still trying. So most of their fights never last for more than a day because Sungjin or Hana would go and apologies. They would feel bad or too guilty to go to sleep if their fight wasn’t resolves.

But everything went from bad to worse.

Sungjin felt it when their manager was changed. The manager, Mr. Kang Min Hae, was stricter and even mean at times. The man was married and was expecting a baby so he thought it was natural for him to work hard. So Sungjin managed. With the help of s, he still gets to call Hana every day. Even when they can barely see each other, Hana was still satisfied with the calls.

But it all changed when Junhyuk started acting weird too. It wasn’t obvious at first; Junhyuk being late for practice, straining his high notes or even forgetting lyrics. It was only a mistake. That was what they all thought. Then he started skipping practice all together. Until one day, he came home late at night, resulting to getting scolded by their Kang manager. It woke everyone up, everyone except Sungjin.

“Hyung! Hyung, wake up! Junhyuk hyung is fighting with Kang manager!” Wonpil shouts as he shakes his leader awake. Sungjin stirred and it took a lot of his energy to try and open his eyes. “Sungjin hyung!” Wonpil shouts again. Sungjin’s eyes shot open and he sat up on bed. The first thing he heard was Junhyuk’s voice shouting in anger. “Who’s fighting?” He asks, already getting out of bed. “Junhyuk hyung and Kang manager.” Dowoon answers from the door. He was on his way to help Wonpil wake Sungjin up. He vaguely hears Sungjin cursing in his Busan accent when the leader walks pass him.

Sungjin goes into the living room where he saw Brian holding onto Junhyuk while Jae was standing in the middle of Junhyuk-Brian and Kang manager. He went to stand beside Jae, turning to Kang manager for answers.

“What is this commotion? What if we wake up the whole building??” He says, trying hard not to raise his voice and let his anger take over him. Kang manager scoffs and then point his finger towards Junhyuk, “That one, he’s dating!” The room grew tense as Sungjin was taken aback by the news. Sungjin hears Wonpil and Dowoon gasps while Jae and Brian shared glances. None of them knew. “We can settle this matter by talking.” Sungjin says firmly, finding a solution fast. “Violence is not needed.” He says again, looking at both Junhyuk and Kang manager. “He doesn’t want to talk about it. The bastard keeps denying it.” Sungjin’s head snaps towards their manager, “Language, manager-nim. I don’t want to hear that kind of language used on my members, is that clear?” Sungjin’s voice dropped as he spoke. He was not even hiding his thick Busan accent. Kang manager took a small step back but didn’t lower his glare on Junhyuk. “Fine,” he fumed through gritted teeth, “You take care of this, leader-nim.” He glares at Sungjin next before going inside his room and slamming the door shut.

Brian finally lets Junhyuk go and Jae let out a sigh. “What the heck is happening?” Jae asks, turning to Junhyuk. Brian too looks at Junhyuk, “Is it true? Are you dating someone hyung?” He asks, Junhyuk sighs and looked down, “…Yes, it’s true.” He confesses. Sungjin held his breath; this is not what he was expecting at all. “Wonpil, you’re sharing your bed with Dowoon tonight. You, let’s talk.” He gestures to Junhyuk. Wonpil was quick to take his things to Dowoon shared room with Jae and Brian. Sungjin went to wash his face before going inside his shared room with Junhyuk and Wonpil. Junhyuk was waiting on his own bed with his head hung low.

“Who is she?” Sungjin asks, leaning on his dressing table as he speaks.

“She’s not a celebrity… She’s just a normal girl.” Junhyuk answers, biting his lip.

“That’s not how you answer the question. I need a name, Junhyuk ah.”

“Her name is…Kim Rin Ah.”

“Is she the reason why you’re skipping practice?” Junhyuk stayed silent. “How did you even get caught Junhyuk ah? Why didn’t you tell us? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I…I’m lonely. She sees me hyung, she really does!” Junhyuk says, starting to defend her. “She just needs a lot of attention. You know how girls are. And I’m willing to give it to her.” Sungjin sighs, it seemed like he was head over heels for this Rin Ah girl.

“Look, I get it. You like her-”

“I love her.” Junhyuk corrects quickly, stopping Sungjin for a brief second.

“O…kay. Let’s just say that you do. But Junhyuk ah, she should understand how you can’t be with her 24/7. Can you at least not miss practice? I’ll cover for you if you want to go out when we don’t have schedules like you did to me. But slacking off like this…won’t help you be with her. It will only make things worse.” Junhyuk sighs, staring at the floor again.

“I’ll make things right again. I promise hyung, I will go and discuss this with her.” Sungjin let out a nod and pats Junhyuk’s back.

“You better do, Jun ah. We just debuted, let’s not make scandals tarnish our image.”

***

Jaebum was scrolling on his phone on a normal Saturday morning. It was almost march, and they have schedule’s piling up since January. February was almost gone too. How did time pass by so fast in 2016?

His eyes widen when a certain headline caught his eyes. “Hyung! Is this true??” Youngjae says from beside him. They were in their shared room in their dorm waiting for their next schedule. “Junhyuk hyung is leaving Day6?? But they just debuted!” Jaebum sat up and quickly found Sungjin’s number. Sungjin answered after the second ring.

“Yes it’s true, Jaebum ah. I can’t explain anything right now. I’ll call you later okay? I need to settle stuff with the company.” Jaebum didn’t even get to say one word. Sungjin answered without him asking the question.

“So?” Youngjae asks, sitting up too. Jaebum sighs and gave a solemn nod, “It’s true.” He confirms.

“Hyung-deul! It’s time to go!” Yugyeom shouts from the living room, probably too lazy to go to each room to call them. Jaebum and Youngjae shared glances before standing up and going out the door.

***

That night, Hana called Jaebum.

“He won’t answer my calls! He never avoids my calls!” Hana panics from the other side of the line.

“Hana-yah, breathe. Can you do that for me? Breathe Hana, breathe.” Jaebum is currently in the van with the boys, having just finished their schedules for the day. Hana let out a choked reply. Jaebum waited for her to calm down before speaking again. “Look, Sungjin hyung’s the leader. When stuff like this happens, the company will call him and asks him about the matter personally. After that, he’ll have to help with damage control.” He explains to her. Hana sighs and Jaebum can even feel the tears that are probably already streaming down her face.

“B-but… Ah, what do I do? I feel… I feel as if something bad is about to happen soon.” She stammered out.

“Don’t go around overthinking stuff, Hana-yah. This is just momentarily. He’ll call you back soon.” Hana sniffs and tried to dry her tears at that.

“I still feel like something is…off. Jaebum, I’ve been feeling like this for days, weeks even. I don’t think it’s healthy.” Jaebum suppressed a sigh.

“It is not healthy, Hana. Aren’t you supposed to talk about your relationship with him and him only?” Jaebum didn’t see but he knew Hana pouted because he said something to annoy her.

“I hate you Lim Jaebum.” She says, making him chuckle.

“Look, don’t worry. Hyung’s having a tough time. Just give him some space to figure out some stuff. This is something he has to do on his own.”

“Fine. But you better tell me the minute you know something I don’t!”

“Yeah, yeah, I will.” He said and they hung up.

The girl who was beside Hana the whole time she was talking with Jaebum pats her on the shoulder after the call. Hana turns around with the pout still on her lips, the girl wanted to laugh at how cute she was being but restrained herself just in time.

“Jaebeommie is a jerk. I don’t even know why I call him at times.” Hana starts complaining. “Yah, Eve ah, are you even listening to me?” Evelyn Huang, Hana’s new found friend, smiles when Hana started to get annoyed with her too. “I’m listening unnie. And don’t you worry too much, Jaebum-ssi seems to think that everything will turn out okay.” Eve tries to reassure her.

Hana finally nods but she was still pouting. “Come on unnie, let’s get you home.” Eve smiles and stands up. Hana stands up too and then followed her friend out. Even if they just ate, Hana still felt empty somehow. It was as if she didn’t even swallow anything.

***

Sungjin stares at the ceiling of his room after he was back from the company. He didn’t feel like eating, he didn’t even feel like moving at all. He has been staring at the ceiling for an hour straight. His over thinking not helping the situation at all. Junhyuk has been dating a fan? Of all fans it has to be the ones that can’t keep a secret too. Sungjin closes his eyes in frustration. The girl Junhyuk was dating was also the one who had been leaking all the information about their schedules and locations. The worse part of it all? Junhyuk was heartbroken and Sungjin can’t do anything about it. left. His friend left. And they both promised to be together till the end. He still can’t believe that a scandal could cause all of these problems. They are losing fans. They don’t even have much to begin with. They are being totally overshadowed by TWICE who had debuted right after them and got immediate fame.

Sungjin opened his eyes and sat up on his bed, staring at the walls next. He doesn’t blame TWICE, no, the girls worked hard for their own success. They did enter a survival competition after all. That’s not easy to handle. He did know how hard it is for bands in the K-pop world to make it. There so few of them that achieve success. Sungjin buried his face in his face when he recall the days after their debut song, “Congratulations” was released. It didn’t reach their expectations at all. They all thought the song would definitely bring their name up in the music world but it just garnered a few attentions and that was it. JYPE expressed their disappointment but didn’t want to discourage the boys. But Sungjin knew it was only about time when they would be thrown into the “dungeon”. Now with the scandal out and a member leaving the group, there is no doubt that JYPE will not promote them in the time being.

Sungjin’s phone rang but he only stared at it until it stopped. The words, ‘38 miss calls from Chagiyah <3’ flashes on the screen before it out. Hana. What would he do with Hana?

 

 

 

 

A/n: Hey, an update as promised! :D Like I  said in the previous chapter, none of these are real, that includes how Junhyuk left Day6. Whether it was true he left becasue of the fan or if he really was dating a fan to begin with, only he and Day6 knows. Let's not dwell so much on that though. So, how was this chapter? Everything is still focused on Sungjin x Hana of course. Remember, I'll reveal everything slowly, but surely (lol I'm talking as if I'm such a great writer-I'm not). Goodness I'm babbling, sorry. Anyway, I'll keep it short then, I hope you enjoyed this chap and looking forward for the next. Thank you and do tell me your thoughts on it.

Ps: You can support Junhyuk on "The Unit".