fin

some things are better not said
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

This wasn't supposed to happen. It was never one on Mina's to-do things and she's pretty sure it wasn't on Nayeon's as well. She's sure because of course, she's her best friend. And friends trust and know everything about each other, right?

Well, Mina thinks the not.

It all started when the said two were having drinks in a bar. (But Mina is sure it isn't just a bar because the place is too peaceful and quiet to call it one and there aren't any distraction to even disturb the both of them who just wanted chicken and beer after a rough week of their respective things to do and also add the stress of the college they both attend.)

That's the problem. No one was there to interrupt whatever it is that happened.

Nayeon was drunk, Mina is tipsy. She doesn't drink much because she knows it's her duty to bring Nayeon back home, because apparently to Nayeon, she's the more responsible with the both of them.

They talked, they chatted for hours as if they haven’t ran out of topics to talk about. And it got to the point that the two didn't realize how much drinks they had.

Mina is even tipsier than before. Nayeon was even drunk. And the latter was almost asleep when she did the thing, when Nayeon took Mina by surprise and leaned in from her seat to Mina's, planting her lips to hers and kissing her as if she hasn't had it for an eternity.

There Mina is, frozen. Her drunkenness completely gone just by the touch of the older's lips and she really doesn't know what to do because all she hears is her heart pounding hard against her ribs.

When Mina was back to her senses, she pushed Nayeon away, almost throwing off the girl if not that she caught her hand. Nayeon was slowly backing up to her seat, her cheeks were red, face flushed, eyes half-closed. Mina is sure she was drunk by then but the look in her eyes says something and then... and then... and then Nayeon's head fell hard on the tabletop.

Mina was surprised, confused. All emotions packing up into one. Definitely, she was not expecting Nayeon to do that because they're friends, and friends don't do that thing. They're best friends, for goodness' sake, so why the heck did Nayeon do that thing?

She finds it unfair, how Nayeon was just snoring loudly after what happened meanwhile Mina is a flustered mess. Finds it unfair how she still cares about the older even if she wanted to runaway somewhere really far. Finds it unfair how she became sober just as quick as Nayeon fell asleep.

Mina stares at Nayeon.

What the just happened?

 

«---»

 

“Oh my god. My head hurts so much. I don't even... I have no plans going to school today.” Nayeon murmurs, her head planted in the comfort of the pillows. Mina was irritated, if she really could she would drag the girl out of her bed, HER bed and she wasn't having any of Nayeon's antics today.

“My head hurts as well. Now get off my bed or we'll both be late for school.” She crosses her arms, leans against the frame of the door, watching Nayeon stretch like an old lady.

“You didn't bring your key and I had to carry you back to my room. You were so noisy and so wiggly it was as if you want me to die by suffocation.” Mina replies softly, but Nayeon knows behind that voice was an awaiting murderer and a ticking time bomb. She might as well pray for her life now.

Nayeon bolted up from her bed, eyes wide but immediately her eyes turn into sparks while she struggles to get her balance towards where Mina is. She smiles sheepishly, blinks her eyes for a few times, and what she thinks is the killer move, flashes her very perfect rabbit smile in front of her. “I'm sorry.”

Mina blushes, a lot more than what she expected, because her eyes just landed to where Nayeon's lips is and all those things that happened last night came rushing in like a waterfall. She looks somewhere else, avoiding contact to the said girl, and steps backwards.

Nayeon steps into the kitchen, and as she walks away, places a hand on Mina's shoulder. “Don't worry. To make up, I'll cook breakfast.”

Mina raises a brow, “You? Cook? In the same sentence?”

“You ungrateful being!” Nayeon grunts, annoyed. Almost smacking the frying pan she is holding to Mina.

“I'm kidding,” Mina laughs, walking a few distance away from the bunny.

Nayeon continues to prepare whatever it is she is preparing, and Mina glances from her shoulder. “And here I thought you already know how to cook. I wasn't expecting instant noodles and pre-cook pancakes to be called a breakfast to be honest.”

“Just shut up Myoui,” Nayeon pouts and Mina's laughter echoes around the room. “Anyway, what the hell did we do last night? I was so drunk I seriously can't remember anything at all.”

Drunk?

Mina stops, Mina gulps, just remembering the events makes Mina tense. “Y-you can't remember anything?”

“Hmm,” Nayeon hums, too focused on what she's cooking to even see a tomato Mina behind her.

“N-Nothing happened. Just things. The usual when we get drunk.”

“Oh. Okay.”

There wasn't any replies after that but Mina feels something thick going around in the air and she wonders if Nayeon can feel it too.

Mina decides to forget, since Nayeon doesn't remember then let's just pretend it didn't happen. All is well. They're back to best friends. Back to their closeness. It was Normal.

She sighs in relief, but Nayeon looks back at her and beams a smile and Mina wonders why her heart is beating too fast just by the mere sight of her.

Mina shrugs it off as the aftereffects of the alcohol they drank.

 

«---»

 

Nayeon happened to be the type of person who's very clumsy in all things. Ever since Mina knew her, the older always had a knack with things dangerously close to accidents may it be breaking, destroying or anything. And Mina kind of grew protective over her in all things.

So it wasn't really surprising when Mina finds Nayeon in bed, lying in their school's clinic.

“What did you do this time?” Mina asks, taking a stool beside Nayeon's bed.

“I swear. I did nothing. It was that stupid varsity player's fault.” Nayeon whimpered, groaning whenever she moves because of the pain in her head.

“And I'm guessing you went into the gym unauthorized? During class hours? Hiding once again? How many times do I have to remind you that hiding won't do you any good. Look, you have another bump. I swear if I...” Mina checks on the forehead of her beloved best friend, inching closer and closer, finding herself drawn even more.

Mina noticed this, she isn't an idiot. The memories of that night comes flashing back to her head and she doesn't know if it will do her any good if she proceeds any further. But she doesn't stop, and Nayeon doesn't look like she will any soon either.

She slightly wonders what if Nayeon did that because she wanted to? Whatever it is that happened that night.

Then, a loud crashing of the door disturbs the momentary tension between the two of them and both pulled away just as quick.

And whoever it is, Mina's not liking it.

“Ms. Im! Sorry for the trouble earlier!” An obvious star-player, popular, and the social butterfly Yoo Jeongyeon barges in, still in her basketball uniform and a towel slacked around her shoulders.

“I didn't know you were there though. It was purely an accident.” The smirk on her face telling Mina that person is a no no to Nayeon. Jeongyeon radiates such dangerous vibes and Mina feel shiver all over her. She restrains herself. Because she has no right to meddle in her friend's life even if she's a big part of it.

Mina stands, ready to leave. She gathered her belongings and rushed to the door. Nayeon was busy enough arguing with her guest that she hasn't noticed Mina disappearing quite suddenly.

 

«---»

 

Mina busies herself, with her usual spot on the campus's rooftop. Until her next class, she mostly stays there, along with a couple of her own friends.

Sana has been mumbling something about being hungry for a while now and Mina wants to grunt because she just wants to study peacefully. Fortunately, Dahyun grabs Sana by the hand and the two starts making their way towards the cafeteria.

“Finally, some peace...” She mutters to herself, taking a short break and overlooking the ground below them in the railing. She rests her shoulders there, and thinks, for a glimpse, caught Nayeon with her eyes.

Her heart quickly increases its speed. And she clutches her chest with her hand. Her gaze falls to Nayeon's smile and automatic as it is, Mina's own manages to form a smile as well. But a memory from a night she doesn't want to remember flashes in, how everything happened was very much clear to her memory. How Nayeon's soft lips was against her. How Nayeon pulled and leaned towards her.

How Nayeon kissed her.

Mina felt her face flushing from the thoughts, smacks herself in the head for thinking like that because for god's sake, Nayeon's her best friend, and best friends don't feel these kind of things with each other. Best friends don't do those things with each other.

But Mina can't help but wonder, why, even if it was out of drunkenness, or not. Why… why Nayeon had to do that?

Her train of thoughts were broken when after Nayeon, who honestly looks so lost, bumped to someone. Mina sighed; of course, this would happen again.

Mina, for some reason, felt uneasy. She grips the railing too hard that it might bend if she does further.

The person who Nayeon bumped to is none other than Jeongyeon, again, the school's famous varsity player who has many people fallen under her charm. Along with a couple of her friends. She knows one is named Chaeyoung, but she isn’t quite sure. She’s been told that she’s the midget, yet acts like she tops all of them with her intimidating aura. If Jeongyeon is in Basketball, then Chaeyoung is in the Soccer team. Mina wonders how Jeongyeon’s friends have similarities such as playing with balls…

They surrounded Nayeon and Mina was preparing herself to run over there but she stops,

Mina watches how Nayeon rolls her eyes, and how Jeongyeon definitely, definitely mocks her. She could even hear Nayeon's sarcasm from here. Jeongyeon walks away with a triumphant smile, a flustered Nayeon left behind, and Mina squints her eyes at this.

Nayeon then meets with her two friends from earlier, Sana and Dahyun, holding a bunch of snacks as they emerged out of the cafeteria. After some talking, Nayeon then looks up at her direction and beams a smile. It was cute how the sun was facing her and it showed her face clearly, probably her bunny teeth shining.

Suddenly, all the uneasiness Mina felt earlier was gone, seeing Nayeon waved and how happy she looks as if she was finding Mina hours prior.

She was indeed finding Mina when the door from the rooftop bursts out and a slammed hand on it with a panting rabbit—wait, Nayeon?

“Where have you been?!” She stomps her way towards the girl. “I've been trying to find you everywhere, goodness, you're just here.” She sighs, standing beside Mina.

Oh, you know, just trying to avoid you after pondering with my thoughts because why did you do that?

“Tsch, I see you having fun with someone though. And I'm studying. I can't hang out even if I want to.” Mina simply says, backs off because Nayeon is too close for her liking. She wonders. When did she become so attentive with their distance but she just shrugs it off.

“You should've told me. I'd study with you.” Nayeon was persistent. Inching closer to Mina. In the end, Mina sits down on the floor, studying with a bored Nayeon resting on her back. Suddenly the latter starts humming and that might’ve returned Mina from the internal conflict she’s been having with her friends being noisy while she’s studying.

Mina grunts, and Nayeon heard it.

“You know Mina, you should feel honored. I’d only reserve my voice to people that are special to me,” She could see the grin behind her back.

“Well yeah, and who are they?”

“To you only.” It wasn’t supposed to make her heart beat like this. It wasn’t supposed to send butterflies to her everywhere. It wasn’t.

Mina doesn’t know if she could study though. Not with Nayeon singing beautifully to her ears like this.

 

 

«---»

 

Mina could notice the changes between her and Nayeon. She's definitely not dumb for not noticing it and she knows it's been happening for quite some time.

Whenever with their group of friends, Mina would try to avoid any contact with her, choosing to sit beside Jihyo or Tzuyu. Nayeon probably doesn't mind though as her eyes were locked into her phone.

Whenever Nayeon would catch up to them, Mina tries so hard to do other things, anything just to not make Nayeon notice her, but apparently, Nayeon was there because of Mina.

She noticed how happy she feels every time Nayeon would smile at her, not that she isn't before but it's different. Mina feels warm, she feels happy just by looking at her, as if her tummy would be filled with butterflies every time Nayeon would appear.

Mina knows this. She tried to avoid it for so long already but who is she kidding, she couldn't. And it got worse when Nayeon did that.

It also didn't help that Nayeon was always away, always hanging out with someone Mina doesn't know, and Mina tells herself that maybe she's acting like this because Nayeon had been spending time with someone.

But Mina panics, because out of all people why did it had to be Nayeon? She'd knew better because Nayeon was her best friend, and just thinking of the possibilities, she's afraid already. She doesn't want to break their friendship. She doesn't want to lose Nayeon, even if that meant suppressing these feelings she long had for the older.

Mina decides not to tell, as it would only cause a riot if she would. She tells herself that it would be better if she would only support her from the side. If she would keep her heart silent.

Mina is satisfied with just Nayeon beside her. At least Nayeon is with her.

 

«---»

 

Mina knew this was coming. The grins, smirks, lopsided smiles should’ve been a warning to her.

They’re taunting her.

“Guys, I have something to tell you...”

Mina watches from the side as she listens intently to what Nayeon is about to say.

She knew this would come when she saw both of them at a vacant room, talking with each other. Having fun with each other.

Nayeon gleams, her eyes shining as she introduces Jeongyeon to her friends. “She's my girlfriend.” Jeongyeon says as she slings an arm around her shoulder. Cheers from Jeongyeon’s friends roared,

She should've seen this coming when she saw how Jeongyeon would look at Nayeon. How Jeongyeon would bother them just to get Nayeon's attention. How she swooned Nayeon over her slick words. How the two of them would act when Mina catches a glimpse of them with each other.

Mina's disappointed, because she is Nayeon's best friend, she should've told her earlier. (Was she really disappointed because of that? Mina is not sure, only finding that to be an excused for the way she’s acting.)

(Mina was about to confront Nayeon with this but she stops. Why would she even meddle in her friend's life? She's a no one but a friend. A best friend.)

As her friends cheer for the two, she forces a smile when Nayeon looks over in her direction. She tries to appear to be happy but why is she feeling something so heavy?

Mina excuses herself from the small celebration, using her phone as an excuse, after seeing Nayeon's worried face.

She runs away, goes to the rooftop. When she gets there, she doesn't notice the lone tear escaping from her eye. She quickly wipes it off with the back of her hand and silently scolds herself.

"Why are you like this, idiot?" Mina doesn't mind the sky starting to turn dark, she doesn't mind some droplets falling unto her.

She feels bitter though, having the sky to sympathize with you, it was as if it's pitying you. And Mina hates it when she shows herself vulnerable. She hates feeling weak. But this time, she does, she let goes.

Mina just breathes in, doesn’t mind how she’s soaking wet when she arrived at her place.

 

«---»

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter