37th Shot - Leo

One Shot At A Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sunlight shone into your eyes and you moved your head around the bed to avoid it. You were expecting a chest that you could hide your head into, but the bed was empty.

Of course. It was Saturday. You chuckled to yourself and went back to sleep. He was probably up playing with Eunji. You hugged your pillow tightly and slept under the warm covers for a few more minutes. Finally getting out of the bed, you shuffled towards the guest room. The door was open, and you leaned against the doorframe. Your arms were crossed, trapping the warmth in your jacket as you watched your husband with your 18-month old niece.

He lay on his belly as he played with Eunji. Eunji was randomly hitting the keys on her toy keyboard. Taekwoon shifted the keyboard and started hitting the keys softly. He sang softly to the tune that he was making: “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”. He shifted the keyboard back to Eunji and she started hitting the keys again. He placed his finger on his lips and shushed for her to hit softly. Eunji looked at him and he whispered, “You’ll wake Aunty up.”

You chuckled and said, “I’m up already.” They both looked up at you. He got off the floor and walked to you, ready to hug you. Your hand rose and pressed against his chest. “I need to wash up first,” you told him, “Then I’ll prepare our food.” He slid his hands around your waist anyways, holding on to you with his hands on your back. You couldn't help but lift your fingers to caress his face as he stared at you. It was his little gestures that made your heart skip the biggest beats.

 

While you prepared breakfast and started packing sandwiches for the outing, Taekwoon prepared Eunji’s outing bag. You could trust him to take good care of your niece. When your sister had to return to work after her maternity leave ended, your husband suggested that you two could take Eunji for the weekends. It wasn’t a suggestion; it was your quiet husband’s way of volunteering. Now Eunji had her own cot in the guestroom along with toys that your husband would constantly add to her growing collection in the corner of the room.

Breakfast was, of course, a distracted affair. Your husband would constantly turn to look at the girl who was in her walker. But you didn’t mind. You loved seeing this illuminated side of your husband.

 

With spring flowers blossoming everywhere in the slowly rising weather, the three of you headed out to the park. You were on the picnic mat, leaning against a tree as the uncle and niece played with a ball a distance away from you. You smiled at your shy husband who had the most animated face on.

 

As you brought the children back to the classroom, you looked out and saw another class having PE lesson outside on the field. Their coach looked so happy and supportive as the class of boys kicked the balls towards the goalpost. When your class had lessons with him, you would watch as the boys listened to their gentle coach. The shy ones were open enough to listen and respond well to him, and you were always amazed to see them bloom like flowers during PE.

But the coach never talked to you, except to greet you when the class arrived and left. He wasn’t a permanent staff, so he wasn't included in the school’s circle of staff during meetings and lunches. He

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter