33rd Shot - Dongwoon

One Shot At A Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was your first day at your internship: one-year residence at Seoul National Bundang Hospital. It wasn’t just your first day. Eleven other medical students had earned this chance to intern at this hospital. The twelve of you had a tour conducted by a nurse supervisor before you met your supervising doctor. After the tour, you were assigned to different departments and shifts: two residents per shifts in three different departments. You were posted to the emergency department with Son Dongwoon. He was tall and reserved. You’re not so sure about the reserved part, though. It was the first day on the job for all of you; of course you would all be quiet. But you knew that the quietness would disappear soon, as soon as you started your first shift.

 

As per Korean custom, the group of interns went out for a company meal after work. Your supervisors joined the group and you all headed out for chicken and beer. Around table you learned that some interns had also come from universities in the south. Your partner Son Dongwoon was from Busan, but he studied at Seoul National University. You were definitely jealous of him. He must be a genius to study be studying at SNU. He let out a chuckle. “If I were a genius, I would be posted to the Seoul branch,” he replied. You didn’t know whether to be flattered that you got into a university that was a level below genius, or to be insulted that you didn’t make it into a genius school or a genius university. He stuttered, “Please don’t feel insulted, I didn’t mean for my words to have that meaning.”

“Barely a day into your work and you’ve insulted your partner?” the head nurse asked.

“No he didn’t,” you answered for him, “He just trying to tell me that I shouldn’t think of him so highly.”

“You’re in Seoul National University Hospital. That’s good enough,” she tried to encourage all of you.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered to you. You smiled at him, knowing that he didn’t mean to hurt your feelings, “Let’s take care of each other.”

 

Your first shift ever. Dongwoon and you were getting ready for the shift. Stealthily, you took out your phone and snapped a picture of yourself in the white coat with the SNUH logo.

@you“First day! Super excited. #doctor #igkr #instagram #instamood #vsco #vscocam #photography #ig_capture #selca”

You posted the selca on instagram. “you,” Dongwoon called out to you. You kept your phone and followed him out of the locker room.

 

Being new residents, you two were only put on checkup duty, routinely checking the vitals and conditions of patients in the emergency ward. 8 hours, you worked. With a lunch in between and barely time to rest, you finished your first shift. After parting with your teammate, you headed home with determination to crash onto your bed.

 

Your relationship with your coworkers improved within weeks and you got bumped together with Dongwoon to help with emergency walk-ins. You two started seeing new faces everyday. You two took shifts between shifts, covering for one another whenever there was less activity in the emergency ward. While he dozed off at the table, you would attend to patients. While you laid your head on the table, he would be off meeting new faces. You two were like buddies covering each other’s backs.

 

Your friend was getting married today. You took a few hours off to attend the wedding, but you overslept. You rushed into the bride’s room before the ceremony began and congratulated her. The photographer was kind enough to help you take a photo with the bride. Quickly you rushed into the hall and joined the congregation with bliss. Having seen fresh blood and fresh wounds for months, you were happy to see lives joined to become one, where love gave life to everyone in the room.

You paid the dining fee and ate with your other friends. You caught up with them, some having left the country for studies and some having parted to other universities. On the way back to the hospital, you decided to look at the photo in your phone. You smiled and uploaded it.

@you “Marriage is the golden ring in a chain whose beginning is a glance and whose ending is Eternity.” –Kahill Gibran #wedding #love #marriage #igkr #instagram #instamood #latergram #vsco #vscocam #photography #ig_capture

After your photo appeared on the dashboard, you noticed how there were over 200 likes and over 20 comments. You suddenly had a surge in followers too. You checked and saw that the likes all belonged to the selca that you had uploaded three months back. It was of your first day of school. You didn’t understand why your picture could gain so much popularity unlike your previous photos. Then you read the comments. You grinned and kept your phone. You had to show them to someone at work.

 

“Son Dongwoon.” He looked up from the clipboard and handed it back to the nurse behind the counter. “I have something to show you,” you told him. You whipped out your phone and showed him your instagram. “Looks like somebody has a following,” you teased as he read the comments.

“Who’s the cutie in the back?”

“You’re pretty but I’m more interested in the man behind you.”

“There are foreign workers at SNUH!”

“Is that your boyfriend?”

Dongwoon had been caught in t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter