22nd Shot - Hyunseung

One Shot At A Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You were preparing the coffee orders that came from the cashier counter. The café had business, and it was an agreeable inflow of customers. You pressed the button for the buzzer to call for the customer, and two students collected their coffee orders. “Triple Grande 140 degree no foam cinnamon dolce latte with whipped cream?” You asked yourself. The only person whom you’ve ever known to order something complicated like that was him, but he didn’t like whipped cream so it couldn’t be him. And how coincidental could it be that he would turn up at your café?

 

Completing the order, you left the drink behind the counter for your colleague Miyoung to call the customer when his food order was complete too. Someone else was in charge of preparing the food orders, so you focused on your orders.

 

“Jeogiyo,” a man called out. “I remember ordering my Triple Grande withOUT whip cream.” You froze at the voice. You turned and saw those doe eyes you knew well. His eyes that seemed unfocused immediately glued to your face. He realized who you were too. “_______,” he called out.

 

Calmly, you took the drink from him. “Yes sir, I'll fix the order right away,” you said before bringing the cup of coffee into the kitchen. You put the cup on the counter and rushed to your colleague. “Change your nametag with me, Miyoung-ah,” you asked frantically.

 

“Eh? Why?” your friend asked confused.

 

“Don’t ask why, just change with me please,” you said, removing your nametag from your apron. Miyoung took out her tag too and switched with you. “Thanks. And if anybody asks for me, just pretend to be me.” Miyoung looked at you weird, but agreed to it.

 

You stepped out of the kitchen and looked at the counter. The doe-eyed man was still standing there. He turned toward you and stared at you. Steadily, you walked back to your station. “Sir, you can sit down first. I will call for you when the drink is done. No whip cream right?” you said in your Busan dialect.

 

“You’re ______, aren't you?” he asked. Your heart skipped but you coolly replied “No I’m not.” Your eye contact did not falter, and he went back to his table. Your breathing was hitching, but you tried to maintain

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter