005

COUNTERBLOW
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            "Mrs Kim has kindly assigned me to look over you and Jungkook while you help to clean the lab. Is that alright?" Mr Kim places his laptop on the teacher's bench. He has been smiling sweetly ever since he entered. It's the kind of smile that can enforce obedience and make them conform to everything he says. Of course, Jungkook does not look very happy with him.

 

            Instead of saying 'We did not get excused from gym to do forced labour', you nod with a forced smile.

 

            While you wipe the benches, your eyes are constantly fixed on Jungkook. You notice his movements aren't as swift as usual. A while ago, he attempted to pick up the stool with his right arm but winced and quickly used his left arm instead. He probably thought nobody noticed it but you did. You also caught him gritting his teeth every now and then when he was mopping the floor. Million thoughts fill your head as you wonder what happened to his arm.

           

            You snap away from your meaningless thoughts when he bends down for the pail of water. "What are you doing?" You yell, abit louder than expected. Mr Kim stumble out of his chair. Heat gushes to your cheeks and you feel like hiding behind the rows of chemicals now. Jungkook spare me a pathetic glance before bending down to retrieve the pail again. "Do you need my help?" You ask, instead of diving fo the pail like a lunatic. Yes, you actually thought of doing for a brief moment.

 

            "Why will I need your help?" Jungkook balance the pail with his left hand. "Just asking..." you mutter and continue wiping the bench, looking away from him. Why do you even care? You notice Mr Kim's eyes darting back and forth from you but you turn away. Still, you can feel his eyes on you, examining you from the back, even after Jungkook left the classroom to replace the water.

 

            Somehow, it felt like a detention when you are just excused from gym class. You are so tired after cleaning the lab and it was god's blessing that you did not break a bottle in the lab. The consequences will be unimaginable.

 

            You are pratically dragging yourself to the gate when Jungkook is just strolling in front of you, not a strand of hair out of place. You suspect if he is really injured. Nonetheless, he did not utter a word to you for the past hour, just like your usual Chemistry lab lessons with him. No complains there.

 

            Just when you are wallowing in self-pity, someone yelps. A boy, probably in his first year, is knocked into a pillar with an incensed Jungkook standing a mertre away from him. He holds his right arm tightly with grimace of pain hidden behind his angry glare. "Watch where the you are going." he hisses through gritted teeth. Well, it seems like he did injure his arm. He storms off, leaving the first year shaking in front of the pillar.

 

            "NO!" You scream into your phone, earning frowns from the passer-by on the street. Walking faster, you hissed firmly into the phone, "I am not interested in him, Jennie. I was just telling you about his arm. That's it!" Strangely, Jungkook's behaviour has been bothering you more than usual. It has been two days but it is still irking you at the back of your head.

           

            "Then why do you care?" You can almost hear Jennie rolling her eyes on the end of the line. "If I knew, I won't be asking you."

 

            "How am I supposed to know?" Jennie retorts. "Whatever, i am reaching the cafe, bye." You make a turn at the corner of the street and you see the sign of your cafe down the alley.

 

            "Wait! Remember to take the main road. Maybe I should come down and walk you home later." "It's Sunday, you should just stay at home. I will be fine, stop nagging already. I gotta start work now, bye." You cut the call before she starts another round of endless nagging.

 

            The familiar bell dings when you push the door open. The usual aroma fro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter