004

COUNTERBLOW
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

            You wake up to the overwhelming pungent smell of disinfectant. The room is silent except from the beeping of the machine. You are alive. You scrunch your eyes at the glaring white lights. Your head feels heavier than normal as your vision slowly comes into place.

 

            Just when you are looking around the plain white room, a man in his early twenties enters. His long white coat sweeps through the air as he strides to your bed. You squint your eyes at his tag - ‘Kim Seok Jin’.

 

            “Ah, you woke up. Feeling alright?” he retrieves a grey clipboard from the foot of my bed and flipping through my records. “I am not sure. My head feels funny.” You reach for the back of your head with your bandaged hand. As exepcted there is also a white bandage wrapped around the top of your head. You feel like a mummy now.

 

            “Don’t worry. It’s normal after lying here for a day.” He chuckles and move nearer to examine your head. “We mend the cut on your hands already. It will heal soon, just avoid getting water on it. You will be good to go tomorrow morning.”

           

            Not sure if it is because of your head but you took a good while to process what your doctor has just said. “You mean I have been lying here for over a day?!” You freak, almost knocking the pillow into your doctor’s face. He narrowly dodges it. Swift movement for a doctor.

 

            “Yes, Miss Lee. You were admitted at almost midnight yesterday. It is 4 in the afternoon now.” He pulls the hems of his sleeve to check his watch. “I-I was admitted? By who?” You gasp, trying to recall the events yesterday but you only remember getting knocked out in an alley.

 

            “I am only told to attend to you, so I am not sure about the other male patient.” He scribbles something on the board. Male patient? “You mean he is injured too? Then, where is he?” You flip the blanket away and attempt to slip out of the bed but before your feet can touch the cold white tiles, he grabs your arm.

 

            “You cannot get out of bed now. You need some rest and the guy was not admitted so you cannot find him. Miss Lee, please do me- yourself a favor and rest well. I see that you have a healing cut on the front of your head as well. If I were you, I will be extra careful with my body from now on. I won’t want to walk around with bandages on the front and back of my head.” He pushes you back into the bed and slots the board back to the foot of your bed before striding out.

           

            Plopping back into the bed, you mentally arrange the sequence of events. You jolt up straight as you remember your silver whistle slipping out of your hands. Reaching for the drawer beside you, you fumble through the contents of your bag.  

 

            You swear repeatedly as you throw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter