Prologue I — The Blackout

The Blackout — [soon to be opened]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Prologue I — The Blackout    

 Sprucehill and winter, a combination of perfect elements to make warm loves worth sharing. Like Grandma’s handmade scarf that curls down the neck, it was already time to wear the thickest sweater your Momma gave. A time for all family to spend their holiday together, time for innocent kids to play around the snow-covered ground. Or even, time for couples to cuddle each other…more. And as much as Santa had given you lots of gifts, togetherness was still far more warmer and precious in a cold time like that.

 And that could be Sprucehill citizens’ strongest point, as it showed by the amount of people who had gathered in the center of the town. Happy families, workmates, kids or elders, lovers or even singles, they came together to witness every second of the countdown. In thick coats, stylish scarves and fluffy hoods, no one seemed to be left out on the biggest event of the year. No one was ever going to miss the crucial moment of a changing year, anyway. With sparkling lights that hung from one tree to another and some remnants of Christmas decorations, the town square had turned into a brightest place on the planet. Smiles spread across everyone’s faces.

 Not to mention, him. A calm grin expressed through his thin lips between the bushy white beard and mustache. The middle-aged man—a tall and still sturdy figure, with several strands of white hair that looked like a stylish highlight for kids these days—walked toward the podium, causing some cheers and applause to get louder. He could hear some I Love You’s and whistles from the crowd, which made him chuckle a little. But humble bow and nod simply replied the crowd.

 “Thank you! And let’s all be better and better than this year!” The man in a long brown coat finally spoke up on the microphone, raising his fist into the air to give a positive spirit to his hardworking people.

 Boisterous cheers and applause exploded once again. Hearing a simple and short speech from their favorite Mayor made them realize that they did make a right choice by electing him as the first man of the town. A man of his words, a leader of the pioneers, they felt lucky to have him leading their city…their home. He did a lot of things to develop the best potential that Sprucehill City had. And they couldn’t be more thankful for the past two years.

 But the one feeling luckier and grateful for their supports and motivation was none other than Arya Hamilton, The Mr. Mayor—himself. Despite the fact that he wasn’t even a native person of Sprucehill, the citizens trusted him. And with their supportive helps and hard works, how could he ever think of going back to his own home?

 “It’s almost the time!” One of the committees softly informed.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter