Chapter 8 - Preparation and Planning

The Lover's Signature
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

"A housewarming party?" 

"Yeah. I figured it'd be kind of fun." Irene said shrugging.

"Was this your idea?" Wendy asked.

"Oh. No. It was Seulgi's idea."

"I didn't think you were friends with your roommate." Wendy giggled.

"Oh god no! But she wanted to throw one and invite her friends. I'm not going to forbid a housewarming party. I'm the sweet and lovable best selling author." Irene said flicking her hair behind her shoulder. 

Wendy made a gagging sound. 

"Also, I told her that the party is to be approved and overseen by me." Irene said crossing her arms with a smirk on her face.

"Don't you like...have a book to write?" Wendy said holding back her laughter. 

Irene rolled her eyes. "Can't a girl invite her best friend to her housewarming party?"

"Me and who else?" Wendy asked, suddenly curious to see who else Irene would deem worthy enough to visit her new home.

"Henry..." 

"That's a given. Who else?"

Irene paused. Who else could she invite? There weren't many people she was close with and the only people she really talked to were Wendy and Henry. 

"That's it." She responded.

"That's it?"

"Yep."

"And it's this Saturday at 7?"

"Mhm. Don't be late. It'll be so awkward for me if her friends come first." Irene frowned.

"You have Henry."

"The busiest man of the century? Yeah....I doubt he'll make it on time and stay long." Irene said with a sarcastic smile. 

 

The sound of Wendy's phone ringing interrupted their conversation. 

"Hello?....Yes....I'll be right there."

Wendy hung up and started gathering her things. 

"What happened?" Irene questioned

"My co-worker reminded me that we have a meeting in 30 minutes. I'll talk to you later, 'kay?"

 

Irene waved goodbye to her friend and decided to go to a nearby coffee shop to work on her book. The sound of the bell above the glass door jingled quietly announcing the arrival of a customer. She walked up to the counter and held out her credit card while ordering a caramel macchiato. 

"Irene?"

Irene looked up and almost laughed at the sight of her roommate in a coffee shop employee uniform. Seulgi wore her hair up and had on a dark brown apron with the cafe's logo on it. 

"Do you work here?" Irene asked eyeing Seulgi's outfit.

"As a matter of fact, I do. Now what else can I get you, Ms. Bae?" Seulgi asked.

"That's it. Bring it over to the corner table."

Seulgi crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow.

"What?"

"Bring it over to the corner tableee....?" Seulgi said dragging out the last word.

"Bring it over to the corner table or I'm calling your manager." Irene said mirroring Seulgi's crossed arms and raised eyebrow.

"Two minutes, please." Seulgi grumbled

"Make it one." Irene said with a smirk and winked.

 

Irene sat down by the corner table and pulled out her notepad. She had been pondering on what story she wanted to write for the past few days and the idea she came up with was lovers separated by time and distance. 

It was somewhat cliche, but it was also just about the only idea she had in mind. The sight of her caramel macchiato being placed on her table disrupted her thoughts. She looked up to see Seulgi who was still in the habit of peeking at her work.

"Did you come up with an idea yet?"

"Sort of, but you're not exactly helping by peering at my work like this."

Seulgi laughed awkwardly. "Sorry, I guess I'm curious."

Seulgi was about to head back to the counter, but turned around to ask, "Are you doing anything in 2 hours?"

Irene shrugged. "Don't think so. Why?"

"Do you want to go shopping? I was thinking of decorating the apartment."

"For the party or for the apartment?"

"Both, I guess."

"In that case, I'll have to go with you. I can't allow you to make decorative choices in my apartment without my approval." 

"Okay, your majesty. I'll let you know when I'm done. Good luck on writing." 

 

Irene watched as the brunette smiled while taking orders from customers. She returned her attention to the notepad in front of her. 

She jotted down the ideas for the story and decided that it would take place in two different time periods. One character would be living in a past time period, while the other would be living in the future. Her next step would be to give her characters some sort of occupation or description.

Unfortunately, she drew a blank and ended up staring out the window instead. She watched as leaves would fall every once in while. The weather was getting colder. She would have to remind herself that she would need a new coat for the upcoming cold season. Winters were never good for her perfect skin.

 

Before she knew it, so much time had passed that Seulgi was already standing in front of her again. With her bag slung over her shoulder, she looked at Irene.

"How'd the writing go?"

"It's a start." Irene replied, putting her notepad away. 

"You ready to go?"

"Wait. Where are you taking us?"

"Um....discount store."

"Oh hell no."

Irene grabbed Seulgi's wrist and pulled her into her Benz. 

"Where are YOU taking us?"

"Not a discount store."

"What's wrong with a discount store?" Seulgi asked defiantly 

"Nothing's wrong with it. It's just not....me." Irene said rolling her eyes.

"Fine, but if you make me spend a ton of money on something I can get for much cheaper. You will never hear the end of it." Seulgi said grumpily. 

The car ride there was awkward. Irene had almost wished she had just gone home instead. Irene drove silently without so much as a word to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter