Silent Killer

Office Roses
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The miso soup is salty, tasting of the tears I couldn’t cry last night. The rice is dry, like my hope. The tonkotsu is bland and soggy, similar to my outlook on the upcoming days.

 

Suddenly, I yelp. A small splinter is lodged in my hand. I was pricked by my own wooden chopsticks, like my own fate biting me in the . I groaned as I slapped my chopsticks down. Everything just isn’t working.

 

“What’s wrong?” Hyejin asks.

 

“Just…” I can’t even talk as my deep sigh interrupts me. “I just wasn’t able to sleep properly.” I finally reply.

 

All night I twisted and turned, flipping around in the bed. The stress wouldn’t let me rest peacefully. By the time I feel asleep, when I awoke, it felt like I only slept for a second. Now, I’m tired even after coffee, and in a bad mood.

 

“My neck is all stiff.” I complain.

 

Suddenly, Hyejin digs her hand into the side of my neck and massages. Even though I’m surprised by the sudden action, her fingers dig in at the right places, like a claw machine catching the right toy. My body instantly relaxes under her touch. I can’t help but moan as all the stress is drained from me. I want her to keep going.

 

However, Hyejin stops.

 

“Why?” I whine, looking at Hyejin.

 

“It’s embarrassing when you make noises like that.” she mutters.

 

For some reason, Hyejin’s face is red. She looks like an innocent high school girl, so different from her usual feminine aura. Although, having known her from high school, she’s always been innocent on the inside. It makes me want to .

 

I lean towards her, until my mouth is right next to her ear.

 

“But I want you to touch me more.” I whisper.

 

I expect Hyejin to slap me and exclaim, like she usually does when she’s embarrassed by my actions. However, she doesn’t react. Confused, I glance at her. Hyejin stares back at me, her eyes dark and her expression unreadable. For some reason, it slightly frightens me. Not knowing what Hyejin is thinking, makes me anxious. It’s like seeing dark clouds head your way, where you can see the approaching storm, but you don’t know how or when it’s going to hit.

 

I’m about to ask Hyejin what she is thinking, when we are interrupted by a voice.

 

“Miss Jung.”

 

Sitting up, I look at Miss Kang who is standing next to me. She smiles down at me.

 

“I believe this is yours.”

 

In her outreached hand, I see a familiar item. I now know miracles do happen. I exclaim in delight and I jump up and embrace Miss Kang suddenly. Miss Kang stands stiffly but I don’t mind. She laughs at my reactions, although it seems polite.

 

“I’m glad you’re this happy Miss Jung.”

 

“Thank you so much! Where did you find it?” I ask.

 

“It was on the floor next to your desk.”

 

“Really?” I was sure I checked every nook and cranny around and on my desk, and I didn’t spot the bright red USB. However, I must have missed it, otherwise how else would Miss Kang have found it.

 

“I’ll alert the others we don’t need to work overtime anymore. You can tell Miss Moon that the USB was found.”

 

I nod reverently. “Thank you again Miss Kang.”

 

Again, she smiles, before leaving. I beam at Hyejin, unable to contain my joy at the fact my day has become exceptionally great, and that I can finally seek Miss Moon’s attention again.

 

However, Hyejin appears distracted.

 

“You’re really close with your colleagues.” Hyejin mutters. “You’re always like that Wheein. You’re so friendly.”

 

The words Hyejin says are a compliment, and yet the way she said it, seems like something negative.

 

“It’s one of the things I like about you.” Hyejin finishes.

 

I guess it wasn’t negative. However, Hyejin’s smile is reserved, unlike her usual wide grin which made her cheeks rise into small dumplings. I've noticed Hyejin has been acting strange lately. However, I don’t point it out. Sometimes some things are better left unsaid to save each other from conflict. For now, I choose to keep silent. When she's ready, I know she'll come to talk to me. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter