One

Stubborn Battles

A follow up to my oneshot "Catch", following YoonSic

 

 

 

I'm not terribly familiar with Pokemon, but thankfully my girlfriend guided me through writing this shot and without her I wouldn't have been able to do this. So please forgive any missteps with the Pokemon setting, I hope you can enjoy it regardless.

 

 

 

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, I hope you enjoy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

Jessica doesn’t think she’s ever been one to get jealous. Watching Taeyeon and Yuri though she can’t help but feel a slight twinge in her chest when she sees them.

 

She thought it was a joke when Yuri told her she’d met the champion of Joseon, or that she’d gone insane when she said they were dating. Meeting Taeyeon, Jessica knew full well there was no joke.

 

Seeing Yuri happy, Jessica was more than happy for her, each time she sees them though, she can only think about the one person who captures her like the way Yuri looks at Taeyeon. Though her unrequited attraction she can only think will take her nowhere.




 

An electric trainer she met through Taeyeon, who she imagined so far beyond her level it was almost laughable. Confident, accomplished, so very intimidating. Yoona, who Jessica could barely keep her eyes off of.

 

Or from the reactions of Taeyeon and Yuri groaning at the carnage happening in front of them, how Jessica can’t resist a battle with no chance of winning.

 

“Y’know it’s alright to call it quits.” Yoona grins, Jessica pulling at her hair as Yoona’s raichu dispense of another one of her team. Left with only one option and her last pokemon, her togekiss Blanc.

 

“C’mon buddy, we can do this.” Jessica throws out her last pokemon, preparing to take down Yoona’s electric pokemon one at a time.




 

Nursing her ego of being decimated by Yoona. Jessica sulks, at least so far as till Yoona can see her and she waves goodbye to Taeyeon and Yuri as she goes to fall on the sofa in her apartment, only a smile across her lips.

 

Maybe the flying gym leader should have a little more pride. Jessica didn’t care so much when Yoona sent her sulking back home and nursing her pokemon. At least not when she could imagine finally working up the guts to ask her on a date rather than constantly throwing herself at the electric trainer in some fruitless endeavour to get her attention.

 

She could only imagine constantly throwing herself at Yoona didn’t do a whole lot but to make the gym leader feel sorry for her, a flying trainer imagining having a chance against Yoona, enough to where each week she flings herself into an unwinnable fight.

 

Blanc perched atop the arm of the sofa, staring at Jessica curious.

 

“I need to stop huh.” Jessica says, the only response she receives, the same stare. “You just want me to stop battling her.” she says, Blanc flapping his wings slightly. “I’ll take that as a yes.”

 

Turning on the tv and falling into the cushions, Jessica glances over at Blanc, watching him fly over to her and settle perched next to her. “I could’ve had a better plan than just battling her. But she’s so intimidating, it’s not like I could just ask her out.” Jessica groans, Blanc staring at her with his blank black eyes. “Don’t give me that look, it’s not like you know the kind of pressure it is to ask someone like her. She probably thinks I’m some idiot..I’m a gym leader! To her I feel like I haven’t even caught my first Pokemon.” Jessica raves, Blanc only looking up at her still.

 

Jessica ready to groan about his constant stare, till she hears a knock on her door.

 

“This isn’t over Blanc, we’re gonna need to talk about peer pressuring me to ask her..” Jessica stops, pulling her door open, Yoona standing in front of her. “Uh..hey, hi.. Hello Yoon.. Yoona.” Jessica mumbles, Yoona trying to hide her slight smile, Jessica only imagining she’s made a fool of herself.

 

“I’m sorry to just show up, I hope I’m not intruding?” Yoona asks, looking behind Jessica to see Blanc glance over at her before turning back.

 

“No not at all, no I.. no.”

 

“I won’t take up your night. I just wanted to ask, I’m heading up to Hanseong for an event with Taeyeon, I thought maybe you’d like to come. An apology for.. Well, everything at the gym.”

 

“You mean kicking my ?” Jessica blurts out, wanting to smack herself hard.

 

“I was gonna say I admire your determination, but if you wanted to go with that..” Yoona grins, chuckling under her breath, Jessica letting a smile come to her lips. “I just, wanted to ask, I can’t bear to watch Taeyeon and Yuri be all over each other for a whole weekend, you’d be saving me.”

 

“Does the mighty electric gym leader need saving?”

 

“Mighty? Yeah you wouldn’t be saying that if you’ve ever seen me and Taeyeon battle.”

 

“She’s the champion, that doesn’t sound like a fair comparison.”

 

“I’ll beat her one day.. That day just won’t be anytime soon.. Or ever.” Yoona scratches at the back of her head, Jessica laughing. “Really, I’d like you to come, it’ll be fun and, I’d rather we were friends instead of constantly battling.” Yoona smiles, Jessica’s heart pounding.

 

“You sure? I bet Blanc is up for having another go.” Jessica looks back, Blanc outright flying further back in the apartment. “Yeah, I’ll go, to keep you sane of course.” Jessica nervously scratches behind her ear, sure she’s blushing red, hoping Yoona doesn’t notice.

 

“Great, I’ll see you this weekend?”

 

“Yeah, I’ll see you then.” Jessica waves, watching Yoona leave. Slumping against her door and taking a deep breath. Blanc flying back in front of her. “Oh shut up.”



 

Something Jessica learns Yoona was very serious about on the train to Hanseong, is keeping her sanity in check with Taeyeon and Yuri.

 

Getting into the hotel, Taeyeon and Yuri off to explore, Jessica doesn’t hesitate to flop down on the hotel bed and consider a nap.

 

“I was thinking we’d go and take a look around.” Yoona says, glancing at Jessica seeing her only nestle deeper into the sheets.

 

“But this is comfortable.” Jessica groans, Yoona laughing, sitting down next to her.

 

“If you could sleep this whole weekend, you would wouldn’t you?” Yoona asks, Jessica sighing pleased.

 

“Don’t tempt me.”

 

“Well, let me show you around first and then I’ll let you sleep all you like?”

 

“You drive a hard bargain, so what’s first?” Jessica sits up, Yoona giggling.

 

“For you? Probably some coffee.”

 

“Oh you read my mind, when do we start?!”



 

Nursing a large cup of coffee and walking along the streets of Hanseong, Jessica looks up at the skyline as they walk, narrowly avoiding bumping into everyone, mostly guided by Yoona through the crowds.

 

“You never been?” Yoona asks, drawing Jessica’s attention back down.

 

“Just once when I was young, it’s so huge.” Jessica says, even coming from a large city on the beach, Hanseong was nothing like it, sprawling as far as the eye can see.

 

“You never went here to train?”

 

“Well.. back home worked well enough, I never really saw the need.”

 

“For a flying trainer, you don’t like getting around a lot do you.” Yoona grins, Jessica shrugging.

 

“It’s not like I have wings.” she says, Yoona grinning.

 

“It’d fit.” Yoona says, Jessica glancing over at her.

 

“What? The wings? Oh that’d be something, maybe I could get Blanc to cling to my back and flap his wings.” Jessica laughs, Yoona giggling.

 

“I dunno, it seems fitting, it’d be very pretty.” Yoona says, Jessica feeling a lump in , nodding.

 

“The flying gym leader with wings, seems almost poetic.” Jessica grins, looking over at Yoona “And you? Do you need to shoot lightning bolts out of your fingertips?”

 

“Oh that sounds good, I’d be a supervillain.”

 

“Am I gonna have to be worried about why your first thought was a supervillain?”

 

“What? Superheroes are boring and everyone wants to be one.” Yoona laughs, Jessica bursting into a smile.

 

“So you wanna be a supervillain to go against the grain?”

 

“Well yeah, what else is there to do?”

 

“Okay so maybe it’d be a little fun.” Jessica admits, Yoona grinning proudly.

 

“Before we get our villainous plans going, I think I should show you my favorite place in the city.” Yoona says excited, Jessica turning curious.





 

Jessica isn’t sure what she expected. Walking through the Pokemon museum wasn’t quite what she expected Yoona to show her.

 

“Has anyone ever thought you were a little nerdy?” Jessica asks, Yoona beaming over an exhibit of past Joseon champions.

 

“A little, a lot, definitely a lot.” Yoona laughs with a smile that makes Jessica’s heart ache. How she ever imagined the gym leader to be an intimidating force to be reckoned with she isn’t sure, though she can only think she likes this side of Yoona far more instead of fighting quite literally for her attention.

 

“It’s cute.” Jessica says before she thinks to stop herself, turning away nervous.

 

“That’s good. I thought you might not like this.” Yoona sighs relieved, gripping Jessica’s hand, surprising her. “I hope we can be friends, Jessica, as fun as it is to battle, I’d like to know you a little more than your teams moveset.” Yoona says, looking Jessica in the eyes. Jessica’s heart pounding.

 

“Yeah.. I’d like that.” Jessica smiles, hoping Yoona can’t tell how hard her heart is pounding.

 

“Good, cause there’s an exhibit about electric types I really wanna look at.” Yoona glows, Jessica letting herself be pulled along, grinning ear to ear.


 

Jessica never in her wildest dreams thought of spending the afternoon going around Hanseong with Yoona, sitting outside the museum, having a lunch and watching the city pass by, she can only think her dreams should’ve been a little more ambitious.

 

“So why the electrics?” Jessica asks, Yoona taking a sip of her drink, thinking for a moment.

 

“I didn’t actually wanna train Pokemon for awhile.” Yoona admits, glancing at Jessica. “I was seventeen when I got Raichu, this trainer I knew didn’t really want him, an Alolan Raichu for almost nothing. I didn’t know a thing about Pokemon, but I just.. Knew I had to train him, so I got him and a pokeball and spent months studying before I even thought of going out to catch one or even battle someone.” Yoona says, slightly nervous, Jessica smiling as she tells the story.

 

“You studied for months?”

 

“I was worried, every trainer seemed like they knew what they were doing so much more than me, I thought I’d screw up so badly if I went in running.”

 

“So you became an electric gym leader cause it just happened on you?”

 

“I.. yeah I guess, is that bad?” Yoona asks, nervously looking away from Jessica.

 

“No, no it’s.. It’s really sweet. It’s cute imagining you trying to study how to train them.” Jessica laughs, Yoona bursting back into a toothy grin.

 

“I’m pretty sure he’s still mad at how awful I was in that first year, struggling to battle even a kid with just a Rattata.”

 

“Oh I’m sure you’re fine, though I think my whole team is mad about how stubborn I was to keep battling you.”

 

“I have to ask, why did you keep going?” Yoona asks, Jessica feeling a lump in and heart pounding in panic.

 

“I.. would it be bullting if I said I thought I could beat you.”

 

“I think that went out the window after the tenth battle.” Yoona grins, Jessica nodding.

 

Swallowing her pride, Jessica looks up at her, maybe not to say the whole truth. “After I met you, I just.. You were interesting you know.”

 

“So we battled all that time cause you wanted to be friends?” Yoona asks, Jessica nodding, making her giggle. “You could’ve just talked to me.”

 

“You seemed intimidating, the electric gym leader, friend of the champion, I wasn’t really sure what to say.” Jessica admits, Yoona reaching for her hand.

 

“I honestly thought you hated me. Coming into the gym to challenge me all the time, I thought I had wronged you somehow.” Yoona laughs at their shared timidness, Jessica breathing a sigh of relief.

 

“I don’t hate you at all Yoona.”

 

“That’s good cause this weekend would be really miserable otherwise.” she laughs, Jessica nodding with a grin. “Thank you for coming though, Hanseong’s much better with some company.”

 

“Well, you got me to come take flight, I’d say it’s been good.”

 

Seeing Yoona grin like an idea’s come to her, Jessica only stares curious.

 

“You got some wings after all.”








 

Strolling through the streets without much of a goal in mind, Jessica takes in the sights. What she thought might’ve been an awkward weekend away, worrying if Yoona only asked her along for a pity trip or if they’d even so much as get beyond awkward small talk and leaving Jessica to trawl through Hanseong with Yuri and Taeyeon.

 

With night falling, they begin to walk back to the hotel. “So what’s this event you and Taeyeon are here for?” Jessica asks, Yoona glancing over.

 

“It’s just some showcase battles, something to get people into training.”

 

“That just happens to be televised.” Jessica grins, Yoona glancing over.

 

“Okay so it’s not ‘just’ some showcase battles, but it’s nice, a weekend in Hanseong and a comp’d hotel room.”

 

“Well, thank you for taking me along. This has been fun a lot of fun. I haven’t been on a trip like this since..” Jessica stops herself, not sure how much she wants to tell Yoona about her dating past.

 

“Since?”

 

“My ex, she. We just went out a lot, looking for Pokemon in the wild. But that was a long time ago.” Jessica scratches her neck nervously.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to bring that up.”

 

“No, no it’s alright, really it was awhile ago.”

 

“Well, I think anyone would be lucky to have you.” Yoona smiles, wider than Jessica’s ever seen, her heart raging furiously.

 

“I.. you too.” Jessica mumbles, Yoona reaching for Jessica’s hand swinging it between them.

 

“Well, maybe if my luck keeps up.” Yoona looks ahead, Jessica feeling almost ready to feint, wishing so much she had the courage to tell Yoona, maybe not yet, though she hopes all she can.




 

Waking up the next morning though, is not Jessica’s ideal version of the morning. Waking with a pair of hands shaking her awake and the sound of Yuri’s voice.

 

“Wake up sleepy!” Yuri laughs, Jessica trying to pull the sheets up and bury her head into the pillow, Yuri stopping both attempts.

 

“It’s too early..” Jessica groans, Yuri tossing off the sheets.

 

“It’s ten in the morning, Yoona and Taeyeon are already at the arena.” Yuri laughs, Jessica pushing herself to sit up, slumping over as she rubs her eyes open.

 

“Nobody told me I’d have to be up in the morning.” Jessica groans, Yuri only laughing.

 

“I bet Yoona knew you wouldn’t come if she told you.”

 

“Did you tell her I’m lazy? I’m just sleepy, Yuri, not lazy!” Jessica mumbles, Yuri nodding with her eyebrow raised.

 

“She asks about you all the time, it was hard not to tell her you sleep more than a sloth.”

 

“Hey.. at least I move faster.” Jessica gets up, stumbling into the bathroom and shutting the door behind her.

 

“Is that supposed to be a brag?”





 

Getting past her distaste of all things morning, Jessica admits there’s some charm to the pageantry of the more high profile events.

 

People filling up the arena, vendors with plushies and toys of any Pokemon she can think of, kids dressed up mimicking their favorite pokemon, what only makes her laugh, the banners in support of Taeyeon being waved among the crowds. Jessica knowing well the appeal of the Joseon champion. Jessia never imagining Yuri would wind up with her, not that she usually imagined anyone winding up with the champion. Though one irking question from Yuri waking her up stays in mind.

 

“So.. Yoona asks about me?” Jessica asks as they find their seats, looking over the arena.

 

“Well, yeah ever since you kept throwing yourself at her in your battles, she’s been curious.” Yuri shrugs, Jessica glaring at how nonchalant Yuri is about it.

 

“And you never thought to tell me this?”

 

“Well, no. You were on your little crusade against her, it’s not like I got to talk to you about it.” Yuri stares sidelong at Jessica’s slack jawed glare, shrugging it off. “I thought she asked you here cause she’s into you.” Yuri says, shattering Jessica’s world.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me this?!!”

 

“Again, it’s not like we had the chance to talk.. That and I’ve been busy with Taeyeon lately.”

 

“Yul!! I’ve been battling her this whole time trying to even know her, you’re telling me this whole time you’ve known?!” Jessica groans, slapping her palms against her forehead.

 

“Oh.. wow.. You two are stubborn aren’t you.” Yuri laughs, Jessica shoving her shoulder with a hard sigh.

 

“God.. what now?” Jessica looks up from her head being buried in her palms, Yuri looking over as Taeyeon walks along the arena, the crowd bursting into cheers, Taeyeon looking till her eyes meet with Yuri, bursting into a wide smile and waving to her.

 

Yuri grinning ear to ear before looking over at Jessica.

 

“You could tell her how you feel.” Yuri laughs, looking back over at Taeyeon, her eyes shining with nothing but love. “That’s what me and Taeyeon did.”

 

“Sometimes I wish you two weren’t so damn perfect.”

 

“All you need is a Kingdra to knock her off her feet.” Yuri grins, Jessica shoving her playfully, laughing.

 

“If I’d been a water trainer this whole time I would’ve been set.”

 

“Maybe I was just holding off so I could convert you.”

 

“You running around with Hani is enough for the two of us.”

 

“Damn, I came so close to enacting the water trainer agenda.” Yuri grins, Jessica laughing without much control for it.

 

“I hate you, you know that?” Jessica says, laughing too hard to keep a straight face.

 

“Hey if you can’t handle me, that’s your fault.” Yuri wraps her arm over Jessica’s shoulder pulling her in. “Alright, now let's watch my girl kick some .”




 

At the end of Taeyeon’s battle, Jessica only knows Yuri wasn’t kidding. Even having seen Taeyeon at work before, she doesn’t cease to impress, doing away with her opponents team as deftly as anyone could hope for. Not that she expected a championship level battle for a small showcase, but if Taeyeon was going easy, Jessica couldn’t tell.


 

Though what she’s been looking forward to, when Yoona takes the arena floor, the battle between two gym leaders or at least glad it’s not her for once on the receiving end of Yoona’s team.

 

But the matchup given to Yoona, one Jessica feels as hopeless as when she battles Yoona herself.

 

Ground against electric and only a single Pokemon to be used. Jessica at least hoping she can deal with it easier than going through a whole team of ground types.

 

Yoona tossing out her pokeball, her Alolan Raichu coming out into the arena, the crowd cheering. Jessica’s stomach sinking when her opponent throws out theirs, a Sandslash crashing into the arena.

 

Yoona not hesitating to bring out her one hope as quick as she can, commanding her Raichu to use surf, the Sandslash left to bear the brunt as the wave of water smacks against it, rocking it hard, shaken and weary.

 

Yoona staring wide eyed at the Sandslash still standing, the ground trainer using earthquake, her Raichu left with nothing but to take the blow as the ground shatters up from under them. Fainting in an instant.

 

The ground trainer left the winner.

 

“Nobody said she was gonna have to fight a ground trainer.” Yuri groans, looking over towards the exit. “Come on, we’ll go see them in the locker room.”

 

Walking down to the locker room, Taeyeon runs over to Yuri the moment she sees her, kissing Yuri without a care for those around them.

 

Jessica and Yoona exchanging a glance of mutual gut wrench at their PDA.

 

“Hey.. I’m sorry about the battle.” Jessica scratches behind her ear, Yoona nodding.

 

“It’s alright, I lose sometimes.” Yoona smiles, unbothered by the loss, though Jessica sees something else in her eyes. “You had a fun time though, I think that’s an alright trade off for losing a battle.”

 

Seeing Yoona still carry her optimism, Jessica throws caution to the wind, hoping Yuri was telling the truth beyond a shadow of doubt.

 

“Yoona I.. uh, I really want to tell you that I..” Jessica mutters, Yoona staring curious. “Oh screw it.” Jessica mumbles, putting her hands on either side of Yoona’s face, pulling her in close, shutting her own eyes and pressing her lips against Yoona’s, heart raging in her chest, praying Yoona doesn’t hate her.

 

Stepping back when she doesn’t feel Yoona respond, feeling her heart ready to shatter in two.

 

Looking into Yoona’s eyes, Yoona blinking shocked before her hands wrap into Jessica’s hair, pulling her in to kiss her senseless.

 

Breaking apart with a heavy breath, Jessica’s eyes shut tight, Yoona running her hands through Jessica’s hair like she expects the moment to almost be a dream.

 

“I really like you.” Jessica whispers, Yoona running her hands to grip Jessica’s.

 

“You have no idea how much I was hoping you’d say that.” Yoona grins, opening her eyes to stare into Jessica’s, seeing her grin ear to ear.


 

“It’s about time you two finally kissed.” Taeyeon groans, Yoona and Jessica glaring back at her. “What? Oh don’t tell me you two didn’t see it.”

 

“Tae, so help me, don’t ruin this mood.” Yoona groans, Taeyeon laughing, resigning herself to leaving the two alone as she leaves with Yuri.



 

“What uhm.. What brought this up?” Yoona asks, Jessica burning up red.

 

“Yuri told me you had been asking about me so I uh.. Took my chances.” Jessica says, Yoona laughing gently.

 

“And here I thought Taeyeon could keep a secret from her.”

 

“You and me both know they’re weak to each other.” Jessica grins, Yuri kissing her again, checking to make sure she’s not living in a dream.

 

“I’ll have to thank her for not being able to keep a secret.” Yoona pulls her in, stopping before their lips touch. “I’m not so sure I lost today.”

 

“It’s not so bad.” Jessica smiles as Yoona pulls her in, letting the world fade away for a moment.

 

“Not at all.”