Not my intention.

A December story.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoon Bomi. 25 years old.

 

Things in my work go crazy for this month like february as well, so even though it's saturday, I must be available. 

That's because all singles, rejected, divorced and even unhappy married people in the nation are looking for someone to spend with on December 25. To pretend they are fine and happily in love. Mainly, in front of their parents, friends and colleagues.

 

December is just our high season in the business, so no Christmas for me. I don't really like this job, but the pay is good and actually, I’m not bad at acting, so Bomi is not complaining.

 

I work at '419 Connections' a small but recognized company, in charge of matching people and making them unhappy. OK no. But something similar, people hire us to get them a couple and our motto is 'Better than Cupid'.

Wich, let me say, it's a big joke. 

Our customers most often look for someone who can simulate to be their partners at a certain time. 

There are people who have really sought a lover through us, but they have a high chance of failing, as well as everyone who tries the usual methods of courtship. But, if money reaches my bank account, I don’t care if they are happy or not.

 

I'M NOT A BAD PERSON if that's what you think.

I just... don't believe in love and nonsense like that. These times, such word doesn’t mean what it should theoretically.

 

 

One fine afternoon, Eunji —my lifelong friend and CEO—, received an urgent order.

A single woman needed someone to marry these days or in default, engage.

People always ask for impossible things, but in fact I would be paid well, so I have to try anyway.

As I am the best "cupid" around here, it would be me who will take care of this personally.

I have "helped" lots of people, it's even a record within the company. This time I'll bring the new juniorwith me, to teach her the business as soon as possible.

 

"Ok, Namjoo-yah. you'll come with me, let's go get some action!" I said and the young woman inmediately smiled.

She's a pretty energetic girl that's been with us for 5 months as an assistant, and has a lot of potential. And also, our personalities match well. 

"Really unnie?! Do you want me to take the extra profiles?" I nodded and went to the car without waiting for her or else we would be late. But only two seconds later she reached me. "This is exciting! The idea of matching someone with another and expecting the best for them,  is just-... we're like fairy godmothers or something... ah, nope, we are cupids. We should use wings, don’t you think so?"

Youngsters and their unstoppable energy.

And here's where I must get in action. Destroy her unicorn-colored bubble, and tell her the raw truth. It is not my intention to break her heart, but this is a business.

"Whatever, pay attention to the rules, Kim Namjoo:

Do not influence the client's decision, and every movement must be recorded in the contract. We want it to be he or she who's wrong, or else we can be sued.  We just do the match, not make them happy. Don’t feel remorse if something doesn’t go well between them, it is the law of life. This is an act. It must seem like we listen to them, we understand and we have high and truly hopes that they will work."

 

I  the car and started to drive to the restaurant where we would meet the client.

"I don’t have

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter