Twenty-eight

Twenty-eight

Twenty-eight. Seulgi didn’t know why she was counting, but it had been twenty-eight days since the last time she saw or talked to Park Rosé. It was the summer after graduation and most of the people Seulgi knew were getting ready to pack up and leave Seoul to go to college elsewhere. But not Seulgi. Seulgi was going to stay in Seoul because that’s what her parents wanted. It’s not like Seulgi didn’t apply anywhere else, because she did, mostly because  Rosé begged her and joked about how she couldn’t live without her. Seulgi kept that 1 percent chance that she would go to NYU with Rosé in the back of her head when she felt overwhelmed with the fact that she felt like she was going to be stuck in Seoul forever, but even that 1 percent turned into a 0 twenty-eight days ago.

Seulgi filled most of her time lately tutoring freshman and sophomores who had summer school, and so every day at 9am Seulgi would drag herself out of bed and force herself to go to her old high school. Seulgi can’t really say that she ever loved the school, but lately it’s been torture having to go there every day and she knew why. Park Rosé. Every inch of the school reminded her of Rosé.

The cafeteria reminded her of lunch with Rosé. Of brown eyes and comforting smiles that she would look forward to seeing just when the stress of classes started to feel like too much. Of Rosé pretending she doesn’t want her chocolate pudding because she knows that Seulgi wants it.

Room 212 reminded her of Spanish class with Rosé. Of trying so hard to focus, but being unable to because it was the last class of the day. Of not having to stress about possibly dozing off because she knew that Rosé would cover for her. Of not worrying that she couldn’t focus because she knew Rosé would tutor her later. Of being tutored for the first time in her life and wondering why it was so easy for her to let Rosé tutor her when she never accepted help from anyone else.

Her old locker reminded her of mornings with Rosé. Of how Rosé’s locker was opposite her own, but she always found Rosé standing next to hers waiting for her. Of happy Rosé who had time to drink coffee some mornings and of cute, grumpy Rosé who didn’t manage to make time for coffee on other mornings. Of pictures of her and Rosé inside her locker, some of which Seulgi herself has placed and others that seemed to “mysteriously appear.”

The outdoors lunch area reminded her of Rosé’s first day at  Seoul High. Of Rosé asking if she could join them for lunch. Of Rosé calling her hot and smart. Of Rosé somehow talking her into trying out for cheerleading. Of Rosé promising to show her her moves.

The bathroom reminded her of the first time she saw Rosé cry. Of feeling her heart break as she held Rosé tight and wished she could take her pain away. Of forgetting she had class because Rosé needed her. Of not noticing that the shoulder of her sweater was now wet. Of a laughing, but broken Rosé who pointed it out in an attempt to pretend she was okay. Of Rosé admitting she doesn’t usually let herself cry in front of anyone.

The gym reminded her of her first kiss with Rosé. Of “don’t worry, just trust me.” Of realizing she did trust Rosé after knowing her for only a few days. Of the first lips to ever meet her own. Of how soft Rosé’s lips felt against her own. Of Rosé’s soft hands as they cupped her cheek and traced her jawline. Of Rosé’s subtle smile that she swore she felt. Of Rosé’s tongue barely scraping her lips. Of Rosé’s thumb resting on her chin. Of Rosé standing up for her against Charlie. Of Rosé calling them a matching set.

Every inch of Seoul high was Park Rosé. Sometimes Seulgi could swear she can smell Rosé’s perfume in the hallway or see a shadow dressed in a cheerleading uniform making its way towards the gym for practice. A shadow that had all the same curves as Park Rosé.

Seulgi wished that the school was the only problem. Leaving school in the afternoons was just as hard.

------------------------------

Read the rest on my BlackVelvet Tumblr blog! It's called BlackVelvetShipShots. Here is the url: https://blackvelvetshipshots.tumblr.com/. Enjoy!