One Plus One

I'll Be Yours

Ahyoung stirred when she felt the mattress dip and featherlight kisses on her bare shoulder. She smiled to herself. Her husband certainly knows how to make her morning. She slept on her side, her back to him.

 

“Ahyoung-ah…” Jong Hyun called softly and dropped another kiss on the sensitive spot below her ear.

 

“Hmm?” she mumbled sleepily, forcing her eyes open. She glanced back at him over her shoulder and as surprised to see him already showered and fully dressed. Aware of her state under the sheets, she slowly sat up and hugged the comforter close to her chest.

 

“Are you going to work already?” she asked, rubbing her eyes. She glanced at the clock on their bedside table and saw that it was only a few minutes after five. “This early?”

 

Jong Hyun chuckled and ruffled her hair. “Yes. Did you forget already? I have the look test and the table-read for the new drama today. I have an early appointment at the salon.”

 

“Oh, that’s right,” she said and grinned at her husband. “Well, have a good day then. I know you’ll do well.”

 

“You should go back to sleep. I just wanted to say goodbye before I left,” he said and handed her a fresh shirt. “Put this on, it’s cold.”

 

She shook her head, earning a confused look from him. “I want the shirt you wore last night, please.”

 

“My Ahyoung… You’re so obsessed with me. This won’t do at all,” he teased shaking his head. But Jong Hyun picked up his discarded shirt from the floor and helped her put it on. “Good? Are you warm enough?”

 

She answered by nodding her head. Jong Hyun leaned in for a kiss, but Ahyoung covered with her hand.

 

“What now?” he asked.

 

“I haven’t brushed my teeth yet,” came her answer, muffled by her hand.

 

This earned a hearty laugh from Jong Hyun. Almost six months of being married and his wife was still worried about morning breath. How cute. He kissed her anyway, his lips landing on the back of her hand.

 

“Go back to sleep. You don’t have anything on your schedule today, right?” he asked as he helped her lie back down.

 

“I don’t. I still have a few more days before going back to work,” she answered in between yawns. “I’ll just finish fixing up here. We still have some boxes to unpack.”

 

They had just moved to their new home a week ago and both of them have been busy trying to get the place in order – Ahyoung especially. They were building their dream and she wanted it to be perfect.

 

“Don’t overdo it this time. Stop doing the heavy lifting. Wait for me to get home, okay?” he reminded. “I’ll be home around lunch time. The heavy boxes can wait.”

 

Arasseo, arasseo,” she said and dismissed him with a wave.

 

“I mean it, Ahyoung,” he warned. He knew she had the tendency to be stubborn. “Remember the last time? I don’t want it to happen again.”

 

On the second day of their move, she had started working on the house from early in the morning and refused to rest until she was satisfied everything was right. It was in the middle of the day that she had a dizzy spell and almost passed out. He was a little worried she’d exhaust herself or worse, get hurt, especially that he wasn’t around.

 

Ne, yeobo. I promise not to touch the heavy boxes.”

 

Jong Hyun smiled despite himself. The endearment she used was meant to assure him, so he was somehow relieved that she would keep her promise.

 

“Alright, I’ll be going now,” he said and kissed her forehead.

 

“Bye. Have a good day,” she answered with her eyes closed. Ahyoung then took the pillow he slept on the night before and hugged it tight. He even saw her sniffing it. It probably still smelled of him.

 

“Like I said, obsessed,” he muttered to himself as he left their bedroom.

 

She woke up again after a few hours and spent the rest of the morning cleaning the house and doing chores. It was around ten in the morning when she got a call from her husband.

 

“Ahyoung-ah.”

 

“Yes, oppa? Miss me already?”

 

She heard him chuckle from the other line. “I do, but that’s not the reason I called.”

 

Wae? Is there a problem?”

 

“Well, the hyungs all came to see me and they said they wanted to see the new house…”

 

“Of course they can come,” she answered immediately. She sensed her husband’s hesitation and she wanted to reassure him that it was okay for his friends to come over. “So we’re talking the four of them right? Joon oppa, Se Joon oppa, Soo Hyuk oppa and Young Kwang oppa? I’ll have lunch ready for you.”

 

“Are you sure? It won’t be too much work for you?” he asked, still reluctant.

 

“Yes, I’m sure. Besides, I haven’t seen them since the wedding.”

 

“You’re the best!” he said, his tone suddenly bright. “What have you been doing at home?”

 

“Just cleaning. I’ll head to the grocery store in a bit. We don’t have enough food here.”

 

“Okay, but don’t cook too much. We’ll get some takeout along the way. You want anything?”

 

Ani. Just don’t buy any chicken. I’m making braised spicy chicken.”

 

“Great, I’ve been craving that.”

 

“Alright. I have to go now, if I want to finish cooking by the time you get here.”

 

Arasseo. Don’t forget to disguise yourself when you go out, okay? And be back as quick as you can. I don’t want you getting recognized,” he reminded her. “You didn’t touch the heavy boxes, did you?”

 

She rolled her eyes, knowing he couldn’t see her doing it. “My husband is such a nagger.”

 

“You love him anyway,” he replied simply.

 

“That I do,” she answered with a smile.

 

“I bet he loves you too,” he said in a teasing tone. She suddenly heard a lot of complaining from the background. Looks like his friends were listening in on his call. At one point she even heard someone say ‘Get a room!’

 

“Get ready to be bullied,” Ahyoung teased back. She knew that her husband would be the subject of his hyungs’ endless teasing after this call. “Put the phone down now.”

 

She heard him sigh from the other end. “I’ll see you later. Bye.”

 

Luckily, she was able to finish doing groceries, cooking and cleaning up before her husband and his friends arrived. She started to feel drained and weirdly tired after. Jong Hyun was right, she thought. She really shouldn’t overdo it.

 

She was taking a little break when their front door opened and five men barged in. Ahyoung immediately stood up to greet her guests. She went to her husband first and kissed him on the cheek.

 

“Wah, oppa! You look great! Have you been working out?” she commented and gave Young Kwang a hug. The older male blushed furiously at her compliment.

 

“What? He’s the only one who gets flattery?” Soo Hyuk complained when the rest of them only got hugs from her.

 

“Aw, oppa. You’re still so whiny!” she joked.

 

“I like your new house. It screams idol and actor,” Se Joon said, earning a high five from Jong Hyun.

 

The next ten minutes were spent with Jong Hyun giving his friends a house tour. Ahyoung busied herself in setting the table for lunch. As promised, her husband brought home some food so there was enough for everyone.

 

Jalmukesumneda!” they chorused and started eating. Ahyoung was pleased to hear compliments on her cooking from her husband’s friends. All her hard work paid off.

 

“Is something wrong? Why aren’t you eating?” Jong Hyun asked when he noticed her picking at her food. All eyes abruptly turned to her. Ahyoung having no appetite wasn’t Ahyoung at all.

 

Aniyo. I already had some while I was cooking earlier. I must have spoiled my appetite,” she lied.

 

In truth, the queasy feeling she has since this morning wasn’t going away. She only had a glass of milk and a piece of toast for breakfast, since she felt like she was going to throw up. Thankfully, her husband didn’t seem to see through her lie and didn’t pry further.

 

After lunch, her husband and his friends - with the exception of Sung Joon, retreated to the living room where he had already setup his gaming console. Ahyoung stayed behind the kitchen to clean up, and the group’s maknae, Sung Joon, was tasked to help her.

 

Ahyoung was about to make coffee for her guests when she suddenly felt the room spin. She grabbed the kitchen counter and struggled to regain her balance. She eventually lost the battle and slowly slid to the floor. The cup she held in slipped from her hand and landed on the floor with a thud. A startled Joon was beside her immediately.

 

“Hyung! Hyung!” he called out, making the other men rush back to the kitchen in panic. Jong Hyun got there first.

 

“What happened?” he asked before his eyes landed on his wife. He was immediately filled with worry and rushed to her side. “Ahyoung, what’s wrong?”

 

“I don’t know what happened, hyung,” Sung Joon said. Worry was also evident on his voice. “One minute she was fine, the next, she…”

 

“I’m okay. I just got dizzy for a moment, that’s all,” Ahyoung answered, trying to rescue the situation.

 

“Get her to the living room, Jjong,” Young Kwang instructed. “Joon, please bring a glass of water. Hyuk, can you get a damp towel from the bathroom? Bring it as quick as you can.”

 

The two men quickly left and did as they were told. Her husband carefully lifter her up from the floor and carried her over to the couch in the living room. Once she was comfortably seated, Jong Hyun held her face in both his hands and examined her. She tried to give him a reassuring smile, but judging from how his forehead was still creased, it didn’t work.

 

“I’m okay, oppa,” she repeated.

 

“No, you’re as pale as a ghost,” he contradicted. “Does it hurt anywhere? How exactly do you feel? Don’t sugarcoat it and tell me honestly.”

 

Before she could answer, Joon came back and handed her a glass of water which she gulped down gladly. Soo Hyuk also arrived with a damp towel and handed it to her husband. Jong Hyun gently pressed it against her cheeks and her forehead.

 

“Oh, that feels nice,” she sighed.

 

“Ahyoung-ah, what happened? Do you feel sick?” Young Kwang asked this time. When she looked up at her husband’s friends, identical expressions of worry were written on their faces. She felt guilty instantly.

 

“The truth is… Umm… I’ve been feeling queasy since this morning,” she admitted. “But I’m sure it’s nothing.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” her husband scolded, obviously annoyed. “And how can you say it’s nothing? You’re not a doctor.”

 

“Jjong…” she began. He was getting angry; she was sure of it.

 

“No, Ahyoung. I’m taking you to the hospital now. This is the second time this happened. I’m not taking any chances,” he said firmly.

 

“Just listen to him, sister-in-law. We need to make sure you’re really okay,” Young Kwang added.

 

She had no choice but to just nod in agreement. Within five minutes, they were in the backseat of Soo Hyuk’s car, as he insisted on driving. Se Joon was with them in the front seat. Young Kwang and Joon were in the other car.

 

She was a little worried that all of them showing up at the hospital would cause headlines for the tabloids, but her husband and his friends don’t seem to care. They were more focused on finding out what was wrong with her and getting her treated. She was touched by their concern, but can’t help but be anxious.

 

“It’s going to be alright. Don’t worry,” she heard Jong Hyun say beside her. He held on tightly to her hand and kissed it. She smiled. At least he wasn’t angry anymore.

 

When they got to the emergency room, the five men waited outside patiently while she was being examined. Ahyoung fretted nervously. She was a bit alarmed when the doctor asked to take her blood sample. Nothing was seriously wrong with her, right?

 

“I’m scared,” she whispered to her husband while they were waiting in the doctor’s office. She was cleared to go home because her vitals were normal at the moment, but the doctor wanted to talk to them about the results of her tests.

 

Jong Hyun pulled her close and kissed her temple. “It’s going to be okay. I’m here.”

 

She took a deep breath and busied herself in observing her surroundings. Of course, her oppas were there as well. Young Kwang and Se Joon were huddled in a corner, talking silently with each other. On the other side of the room were Soo Hyuk and Joon looking as nervous as she felt. When Soo Hyuk caught her eye, he smiled at her reassuringly and muttered “Gwaenchana”. She felt better knowing that a lot of people were there for her.

 

All of them were startled when the doors to the office suddenly opened. The doctor who examined her came in smiling. That was a good thing, right?

 

“Good afternoon,” the doctor greeted. “It’s the first time I’ve seen my office so crowded and with celebrities, too. Forgive me, I’m a bit starstruck.”

 

“I’m sorry, doctor. We’re all just very worried about our sister-in-law,” Young Kwang answered.

 

“No apologies necessary. Miss Yura must be happy to know that you care a lot about her,” the doctor said with a wave of his hand. “So… Let’s get to the results of your test, shall we?”

 

Ahyoung immediately grabbed Jong Hyun’s hand. He gave it a slight squeeze, telling her that she wasn’t alone in this.

 

“Your vitals are all normal and that’s good. But you might need to take it easy for the next few months.”

 

She felt her heart sink. So something was wrong with her. What was it?

 

“W-what… What’s wrong doctor? Is my wife sick?” Jong Hyun asked, his voice quivering.

 

“No! Heavens no! The opposite in fact. Congratulations to the both of you. You’re going to be parents soon!”

 

Ahyoung blinked in surprise. Parents? She was pregnant?

 

Her hand automatically went to her stomach. There’s a baby in here?

 

The following events were a blur to her. She just heard the doctor say that she was a little over seven weeks along and the dizziness and nausea she felt were just symptoms of pregnancy. She barely understood the doctor’s instructions to see an OB-GYN, but she was sure Jong Hyun hung on to every word. The next thing she knew, she was being passed around, his friends hugging and kissing her cheek, congratulating and thanking her for making them uncles.

 

It was her husband that held her last.

 

“Thank you. I love you,” he said and kissed her softly. When she looked at him, he had tears in his eyes. She almost cried at that moment too.

 

He fussed over her when they got home from the hospital. He was asking her if she needed anything or wanted to eat anything. She said no all the time. She wasn’t having any cravings yet and she had never felt so good.

 

One thing she noticed though, was that she wanted her husband near her all the time. It was weird but she liked the way he smelled more than usual. He hasn’t left her side since they got home and he wasn’t complaining at all.

 

“I can’t believe there’s a baby in here. How is this possible?” she wondered aloud. Her hand protectively covered her still flat tummy. She heard Jong Hyun chuckle, then the click of a shutter. He had secretly taken a photo.

 

Jong Hyun did something on his phone before he plopped himself on the floor beside her and positioned his face near her stomach. “Hi there, baby. It’s dad.”

 

Ahyoung thought that it was adorable. She had never heard Jong Hyun use this tone of voice before. She couldn’t help but reach for her phone and snap a photo as well while he continued to talk to their child.

 

“How could a girl get so lucky?” she said, making her husband look up. He flashed her an adoring smile and got up from the floor. He sat beside her on the couch and leaned in to kiss her.

 

“I’m the luckiest,” he murmured and kissed her again.

 

It was before they went to bed that she discovered what her husband was so busy about earlier. He had posted a photo of her hand on her stomach with the caption: “My two greatest treasures.”

 

She laughed out loud at the comments:

 

“Ahyoung’s rings must have cost a fortune.” The photo was of her left hand and it did show her rings.

“Two? What does this mean?”

“Does Ahyoung have multiple personalities?”

“Maybe oppa just made a mistake.”

 

She decided to post her own. She chose the photo she took of Jong Hyun talking to their baby and captioned it: “The two people I love most.”

 

In less than ten minutes, her post was also met with a lot of curious comments. The netizens were wondering what has gotten into the couple making mistakes with their Instagram posts. Some of them got it right and sent in their premature congratulations.

 

It wasn’t after the following day that the speculations were finally confirmed. They went to see an OB-GYN as recommended. After their visit to the doctor, Jong Hyun and Ahyoung posted the first sonogram of their baby with the caption: “One plus one equals three.”