The Chairman's Favorite

I'll Be Yours

The room was buzzing with conversation when Ahyoung arrived. Her students seemed to be excited about something and didn’t even notice her arrival. She came straight from teaching a dance class and had barely time to freshen up. Her hair was still gathered in a bun on top of her head, but she had at least managed to put on a coat and powder her face before heading to this class.

 

“Did you hear? The school’s chairman came to visit!” one of her art major students exclaimed.

 

“I did! Did you see his car? It was so cool!” another chimed in.

 

She stopped in her tracks upon hearing what the commotion was all about. The school’s Chairman Hong rarely made personal visits to the school. Why of all days, did he choose to come today? All of a sudden, Ahyoung felt clammy. She only wished that they wouldn’t have a chance to bump into each other today.

 

“I heard he’s very good looking! So Eun who works at the dean’s office saw him. She said he’s super hot!”

 

Jinja? Too bad he’s already married.”

“Is he? Who did you hear that from? Is his wife pretty?”

 

Ahyoung had enough of the chatter, so she decided to make her presence known. She cleared loudly. Her students immediately went back to their seats and settled down.

 

“Good afternoon, Professor Kim!” they all greeted her in unison.

 

“Good afternoon. Today we’re going to be applying the techniques we learned from last week. So, I’d like you all to prepare your canvases and paint this subject right here,” she said uncovering the basket of fruit that was placed in front of the class.

 

There was a flurry of activity as her students scrambled to get their materials ready. After a few minutes, the room was silent as they started to paint. Ahyoung went around the room, checking on her students one by one, and giving out suggestions from time to time.

 

She was so engrossed with mentoring that she didn’t notice the arrival of two men in power suits. They had quietly stepped into her classroom and were curiously observing. She stiffened when she met the eyes of the school’s chairman. He was standing at the back of the room with their dean, looking intently at her.

 

“Everyone, please greet the dean and the chairman,” she called to her class.

 

The whole room immediately stopped what they were doing, stood up, and bowed to the newcomers.

 

“Take your seats, students. Carry on, Miss Kim. The chairman and I will just be quietly observing,” the dean said, gesturing for them to ignore him and his companion.

 

Her students complied almost at once. But not Ahyoung. She could still feel the chairman’s piercing gaze from the back of her head. The two men were so quiet, she thought they had already left. She almost jumped when she heard the dean call her attention. She had no choice but to walk towards them.

 

“How have you been Miss Kim?” the dean asked her when she was finally standing in front of the two men.

 

“I’ve been well, sir. Thank you for your concern,” she answered respectfully. She could feel Chairman Hong’s eyes on her, but she refused to meet his stare.

 

“You have been with us for almost eight months now, correct? How do you find teaching here? Are the students giving you a hard time?”

 

“Not at all, dean. They are wonderful. Very intelligent and creative. I am enjoying my time here,” she said.

 

“I heard there was an accident earlier in your dance class. Are you alright?”

 

‘Damn. How did he know about that?’ Ahyoung thought.

 

The reason why she was almost late for this class was because of a little mishap in her previous dance class. Her ankle was a little bruised, but that was it.

 

She unconsciously shifted her eyes away from the glaring Chairman Hong. Clearly, employees getting injured was a big issue for the man. She thanked the gods it wasn’t a sprain, or else, she would have been in much bigger trouble.

 

“No need to worry, sir. I wasn’t hurt badly,” she assured him.

 

“You should be more careful next time, Miss Kim.”

 

This time, it was the chairman who spoke. She looked at him in surprise. She didn’t think he’d make a comment so suddenly, so she was a bit taken aback.

 

When their eyes met, she immediately regretted looking his way. He was still staring at her intently, but his eyebrows were so furrowed, they looked like one line. It was like he was just waiting for the perfect opportunity to scold her. She swallowed nervously.

 

“Y-yes, I will. I apologize,” she answered, bowing a little.

 

He surprised her yet again by stepping closer – too close. “This shouldn’t happen again. Do you understand, Miss Kim?”

 

It was too soft for anyone else to hear, but the warning was clear in his voice. She almost trembled. What the hell does he think he’s doing?

 

Ne. I understand,” was all she could say.

 

“I think it’s time we leave, Dean Park,” he said to the older man. With a last nod in her direction, the two men stepped out of the room.

 

Ahyoung had to hold on to a nearby chair to steady herself. She couldn’t believe one short visit from him could make her tremble like this. Oh, he was going to pay for this.

 

She took a deep breath to compose herself and went back to her class. She suddenly felt drained and exhausted. She consoled herself in the thought that her day in school would be over in a few minutes.

 

After what she thought was too long a time, the bell finally rang. She collapsed on her chair right after all her students were out of the classroom. She had barely time to catch her breath when she heard a knock. She looked up and saw the school nurse carrying a first aid kit. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

 

“Good day, Professor. The dean sent me,” the nurse said when they were finally face to face.

 

Ahyoung already knew that. This was his doing, obviously.

 

‘This is so inappropriate,’ she thought to herself. However, she didn’t protest when the nurse started tending to her bruises. The woman was just after all, doing her job. Ahyoung thanked her after she was done. She was finally ready to head home.

 

Just then, her phone vibrated. She took it out from her coat pocket and read the text message that was from her husband.

 

‘Have a meeting. Going to be a little late. I’ll see you at home,’ she read. Her husband was going to be late. Again. It was the third time this week. She sighed and put the phone back in her pocket. Then she quickly got her things from the faculty lounge and drove home.

 

She was welcomed by the housekeeper when she arrived. The ajumma took her bag and informed her that the ingredients she needed for dinner were already prepared.

 

“I would have already cooked it, but your husband insisted that you should do it. I think he likes your cooking better,” the older woman told her with a smile.

 

Aniyo. I think he’s just being picky,” she replied annoyed. Mrs. Song just laughed good naturedly.

 

Ahyoung changed into more comfortable clothes and started work on the kitchen. Normally, her husband would be peeking over her shoulder while she was cooking. But since he was late today, she was alone. She started to miss him now.

 

She was finally done after a few minutes. The housekeeper came and tasted her food. She was relieved to hear it was good.

 

Aigoo. What happened there, Ahyoung?” Mrs. Song exclaimed when she saw her bandaged ankle. She already felt a little discomfort while moving around.

 

“It’s nothing. There was a little incident at dance class earlier,” she explained.

 

“I’ll make a foot soak and an ice pack for you. I’ll bring it to your room so you can rest a bit before your husband gets home.”

 

“Thank you so much, ajumoni!”

 

She headed to their room and sank on the comfy couch. As promised, Mrs. Song came with a foot soak and a pack for her. She dipped her uninjured foot into the basin and applied the ice pack to the other. Ahyoung decided to take a short nap while waiting for her husband.

 

She was fast asleep when her husband found her, a few minutes later. He called for her as soon as he took his shoes off and entered their home. When she didn’t answer, the housekeeper told him that she was resting in their bedroom. He thanked her and sent her home for the day.

 

His expression softened when he saw his wife sleeping on the couch. He was a busy man, and this past week has especially been hectic. He felt sorry that she was always left alone like this.

 

He approached her form carefully. He put his briefcase on the bed and knelt beside the couch. He grimaced when he saw the bruise forming on her pale skin.

 

“This woman. She’s as clumsy as ever,” he muttered to himself. He stared at her for a good while before deciding to wake her up.

 

“Ahyoung-ie,” he said softly while caressing her cheek. She was a light sleeper so he knew she was going to be awake soon. Not disappointing him, her eyelids fluttered open. She smiled as soon as his face came into view.

 

Oppa,” she mumbled sleepily. He chuckled when she stretched and rubbed her eyes. “When did you arrive?”

 

“Just a while ago. Gwaenchana?” he asked helping her up. She nodded. “How’s your ankle?”

 

“It’s fine,” she answered. Then she seemed to remember something and gave him a sharp look. “Did you have fun today?”

 

“What do you mean?” he said feigning innocence.

 

“I mean, did you have fun terrorizing me, Hong Jonghyun-ssi? Or should I call you Chairman Hong?” she replied with eyebrows raised.

 

He laughed and pulled her to his chest. “Oh, Ahyoung-ie! I wasn’t terrorizing you! Whatever gave you that idea?”

 

She struggled free from his embrace. When he didn’t let go, she hit his chest.

 

“You’re such a bully!” she exclaimed glaring at him.

 

“Miss Kim Ahyoung, I own that school. Don’t I have the right to go around and observe classes?”

 

“But there were thirty other classes going on that time. Why did you have to go into mine?” she complained.

 

“Yes. But none of those classes have professors who got injured because of her clumsiness and had me worried sick. Most of all, none of them is my wife.”

 

His response might have startled her since she became quiet after hearing what he said. Finally, he heard her sigh in defeat.

 

“Well, if you put it that way…” she said in a soft voice. She looked up at him with those wide eyes, and he knew he was a goner.

 

He ruffled her hair affectionately. “What am I going to do with you?”

 

They have been married for almost a year, but he still gets caught off guard with moments like these. His Ahyoung was just too adorable, it was hard to stay upset with her for long.

 

“I’m sorry, oppa. Were you very worried? Oh right, you even sent a nurse. I thought that was too much!”

 

“Your uncle-in-law suggested it,” he clarified, referring to the dean. “I thought it was a good idea, so I agreed.”

 

“Psh. Seriously, the men in this family,” she murmured, obviously annoyed.

 

He simply laughed and decided to some more. “Ahyoung-ie, I think you forgot something.”

 

“Huh?”

 

He puckered his lips and leaned closer. She scoffed and pinched his nose.

 

“You don’t get a kiss, Hong Jonghyun-ssi. I’m still pissed at you.”

 

Wae?”

 

“Let’s eat,” she said instead and pulled at his hand.

 

He shook his head and refused to budge. “Jamkkaman. I want to take a shower first.”

 

“Okay, then. Ppali!” she answered. She was about to leave when he suddenly pulled her hand, making her land on his chest.

 

“What is it?” Ahyoung asked and looked up at her husband. She regretted it almost immediately. He gave her a look that made refusing him impossible. She swallowed nervously.

 

“Join me,” he said, his voice dangerously low.

 

And just like that, dinner was forgotten and Chairman Hong got his kiss – and then some.