Cake

Socialites
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been three weeks since Huang Renjun first witnessed Zhong Chenle with black hair.

 

Three weeks since he first started to figure out how ed he really was. 

 

"So you're telling me that you hear angels and rainbows when he simply snores?" Donghyuck asked him while staring at him with a condescending look. The two were currently doing a Sunday shift with Renjun covering for Yukhei since he called in 'sick'. Yeah right, he's probably with that guy from the university...what's his name? Jung-something...

"Ok first of all, I never said that I heard those things - you made that up. And second, you can't hear a rainbow, Donghyuck," Renjun pointed out as he witnessed the only other person in the cafe go to the register to get ready for close. Technically, they were past closing time but...they still needed to pack up.

"But seriously, Renjun! You met the guy like two months ago! Don't you think you're moving a little too fast?" Donghyuck asked him and Renjun stared at him in response. 

"Calm down, it's not like anything is going to happen-"

"You two are living in the same place!"

"That is irrelevant-"

"How?! If anything, that started all of this!"

 

"What the hell is going on here?!" A usually cheery voice asked the others as the two looked to see the one and only manager on duty, Moon Taeil. Their manager was in front of the register, currently counting the till.

"What's wrong, hyung?" Renjun asked him as he saw the older angrily tap the screen of the register. 

"Doyoung is what's wrong! That piece of left this goddamn note in here!" The Angel Manager of the cafe complained, brandishing a note that was previously placed on top of one of the note piles. Walking closer to it and silently thanking that since it was close, the cafe was empty, Renjun saw the truth of the note.

 

Meet me after you close the cafe. I'll be waiting at the restaurant we went to last week.

 

"Damn, he wants you to meet him? What the did you do, hyung?" Donghyuck asked, curiosity evident in his pupils as he stared at the older.

"I don't know what I did! We haven't even fought in four days!" Taeil exclaimed, running a hand through his hair and quickly counted the notes in front of him. "You two, lock up. I'm going to find out what's wrong," He instructed as he closed down the register and tossed the keys to Renjun (who barely caught it) before storming out the doors of the cafe.

"I bet one thousand won that his reaction was because of ," Donghyuck said, cutting the silent atmosphere and Renjun shoved him in response. "What?! Don't tell me you didn't see the way they looked at each other last week!" Sighing and massaging his temples, Renjun began to wipe down the counters and empty out the display cabinets that were on the other side of the register where the older workers usually hung out due to them having permission to bake. 

"You want anything? We have chocolate eclairs, some blueberry pastry and a choc chip muffin," He asked Donghyuck who simply said that he wanted an eclair and the muffin. Placing the items in the box, Renjun decided to take the rest and have his breakfast for the next four days sorted out. 

"So, back to our conversation..."

"It was over before it even started."

"You hear angels and rainbows when he snores? Really? And you two aren't dating?"

 

Renjun had never known that ignoring someone obnoxious would be so hard.

 

~ ~ ~

 

"Ge, I want porridge," Chenle said as a way of greeting him once he entered his apartment complex. 

"I don't have any porridge, Le," He replied, immediately taking off his shoes and placing the pastries that he brought back from work into the fridge. 

"But can't you make it?" Chenle asked and Renjun chuckled, turning to smile at the younger Chinese male who had grown taller than him after a growth spurt. However, not even their reversed height difference got Chenle to stop hugging him like a koala when they tried to sleep.

"I can't because I don't have all the ingredients."

"But it's just porridge!"

"Sorry, maybe I'll get the ingredients tomorrow?" Renjun asked him and chuckled softly again at the expression on the younger's face. His eyes sparkled and his smile was the purest thing that Renjun had set his eyes on. Man...I'm ed.

"Thanks, ge!" Chenle shouted, sitting on the couch after dragging Renjun with him.

"Chenle...I have to fold the laundry-"

"Shhhh ge...you worked hard today. Just rest for now," Chenle whispered as he wrapped his arms around Renjun's waist and placed his head on Renjun's shoulder. Sighing, Renjun wrapped his arms around the other after he turned the TV on to some lame kids' show. 

 

"Ge, do you sing?" Chenle asked him and Renjun wasn't even surprised at the sudden question anymore. Over the past few weeks, he had gotten used to answering Chenle's sudden need to know his favourite shampoo or what the colour of his underwear was. Not after blushing profusely, of course...which was what was happening now since Chenle had the most curious and adorable expression painted on his face.

"A bit. Nothing really great since my voice range isn't that big and it's not that unique, either," Renjun replied, the volume of his voice softening as the sentence wore on. 

"Ge, sing for me," Chenle pretty much demanded which got Renjun to laugh and ask jokingly if there was any song requests. He was a bit surprised when Chenle abruptly got up and walked over to his phone. After tapping the screen a few times and regaining his seat next to Renjun, a familiar piece of music started to play from the phone. It took a while for Renjun to decipher that it was someone playing a piano instrumental of one of his favourite songs: Baby Don't Cry by EXO. Taking a deep breath, Renjun began to sing but stopped after two lines when he noticed Chenle had started to record him on his own phone.

"Chenle, stop recording me," He stated as he glared into the lens of his phone. He only got a giggle and Chenle singing the next two lines of the song that corresponded with the instrumental.

 

Renjun would be lying if he said he wasn't mesmerised.

 

Because if Chenle's snores were the sound of angels, then Chenle singing would be the sound of God himself.

 

"I didn't know you sing," Renjun in response as Chenle stopped the video he was taking and moved to stop the piano instrumental playing from his phone.

"I really like it. I want to be able to sing and play the piano for all kinds of people one day," Chenle explained and Renjun didn't miss the spark of passion that flitted across his face before the younger turned to him. Observation of rich people #20: They're very passionate about what they love doing. "Why didn't tell me that you sing? I like your voice," Chenle whispered as he looked up at the older and Renjun swore that his cheeks were red.

"You never really asked before," Renjun replied as he smiled sli

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter