Chapter 11

Stigma of Sigma

Jungkook stared at his cellphone as if daring the words written on his screen to come alive. He couldn’t believe that it had been almost a year since he last saw Jungyoon. Even with her promise to visit him, the two couldn’t match their schedule to do – when she was free, he was on a concert tour, and when he was free, she was busy with her work that she can’t go into details. He tried asking her multiple times, but all he received was, ‘Sorry, it’s classified’ or ‘Sorry, you don’t the clearance for that information’.

That was why, it surprised him when she messaged an interesting information instead of asking how his day had been or asking what he was doing or if he had eaten like she usually does.

He blinked repeatedly, trying to make sure that he wasn’t hallucinating, and then grinned when he realized it was indeed reality. His grin then slowly morphed into horror and shock upon realizing that the date Jungyoon mentioned was today.

‘I bet you’re surprised, huh? I had some businesses in Saint Petersburg, and I thought I’d surprise you with a visit since I’m off for a few weeks. I’ll see you at your home in a few minutes.’

“Did something happen, Jungkook? You’ve been staring at your phone for the past couple of minutes.”

He snapped out of his musing when he heard Jin’s voice, and opened his mouth to reply when he heard whirling noises of a plane. He looked over to Jin, startled by the noise because he didn’t think anyone living in this premise owned a private plane. In fact, he didn’t think there was a tarmac or a hanger for planes or helicopters.

“What’s with the noise?”

He knew the older male had been napping, and he didn’t want to be the receiving end of Yoongi’s ire. So, he quickly glanced at his phone for time, staring at the new message in shock because it had only been 3 minutes since he received the last text message. He wanted to know how she managed to arrive so quickly, but he had a feeling that she messaged him right when she was about to land.

“I think that might be Jungyoon-ie. She just messaged me that she’s visiting.” He answered with a sigh.

He then shook his head in amusement at multiple texts she spammed asking if she surprised him. He couldn’t believe that she had the cheek to include a happy face with her message.

“Where is she going to land that plane?” Jin questioned with a brow raised. “Did she think that we have our own landing pad or something?”

Jungkook shrugged in response, not knowing what to say since that was his question as well. Nevertheless, he hastily followed others out the door, and looked up to see a nondescript black plane that somehow seemed like a fighter plane. Its door opened to reveal a figure, whom he speculated was Jungyoon considering the text messages she sent.

“You know, that plane looks like a fighter jet instead of a commercial plane.” Taehyung commented thoughtfully.

“Now that you mentioned it…its shape does look like a fighter jet.” Jimin nodded in agreement. “But Jungkook, how is Jungyoon-ie going to come down from there?”

“I don’t know. Don’t tell me she’s going to jump.”

Those words barely escaped from his mouth when he saw his baby sister leaped out, performing some intricate twists and turns until she was nosediving. His heart nearly stopped as he watched in fascinated horror, not knowing what to do except keep watching, until she released two parachutes.

He didn’t know he was holding onto his breath until he exhaled deeply in relieve. He watched in silent awe as Jungyoon landed gracefully a couple of feet away from him. As much as he doesn’t like to admit it, her posture and precision landing suggested that she had done this before.

Upon looking at her, the first thing Jungkook noticed was the formal black uniform with white trims. It looked different from the ones he saw her wear previously. Secondly, he noted that she looked paler than usual, and he hoped that it was due to her makeup. That is, if she wore any because he hadn’t seen her wear any when she stayed with him last time.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were coming?” He immediately asked when she straightens up.

“I messaged you about it. You didn’t get it?” Jungyoon responded with a small frown.

“You told me a couple of minutes before you arrived. A little warning would’ve been nice.” He replied with a pout.

He liked seeing his baby sister again, especially when they haven’t met up due to the nature of their work. Still, he liked to know about her visit ahead of time, so he had time to prepare… both physically (he needed to clean his room) and mentally (if she was going to make an entrance like that).

“Jungyoon-ie, it’s nice to see you again.” Jimin commented amicably with a grin.

“So, what’s the reason for your sudden visit?” Jungkook asked in a wary tone.

He doesn’t want to be suspicious of everything she does, and he wanted to believe that she was visiting him because they haven’t seen each other for months. However, he couldn’t help but feel that there was another reason behind it when he considered what she does. It was too sudden for him to believe that there wasn’t a hidden motive.

“Can’t I visit my favorite twin without him suspecting me of something?”

“I’m your only twin, so I should be your favorite. I’d feel offended if I wasn’t.” He deadpanned with an unimpressed look and arms crossed. “So, what’s your reason? Don’t say you were in the neighborhood. Saint Petersburg and Seoul aren’t in the same neighborhood, much less same country.”

Jungyoon gave him a sheepish smile in response, looking as if he unraveled her secret effortlessly. “You’re doing your last Wings tour in Seoul. I wanted to watch and support you guys.”

“Why do I get the feeling that there’s something you aren’t telling me? What aren’t you telling me, Jungyoon-ie?” Jungkook pursed his lips into a frown.

“Why do you have to be so suspicious? I just wanted to come support you guys.”

“You haven’t seen us performed, have you?” Hoseok asked as if in realization.

Instead of giving a verbal response to their inquiries like he expected, Jungyoon just gave a smile that doesn’t explain anything and walked backward to their front door while still facing them.

“Come on, let’s go in.”

What in the world was she hiding?

.

.

Jungkook doesn’t to what to think about letting Jungyoon attend the rehearsal. The first two times his baby sister attended the rehearsal had been a disaster, to put it mildly. So, he was very reluctant to let her attend, but he ended up conceding to her puppy dog eyes and aegyo.

He didn’t know she had it in her to do those.

Suffice to say, the rehearsal had been successful when he considered there weren’t any life-threatening incidents. There were a couple of wardrobe and audio equipment accidents courtesy of Namjoon, their resident God of Destruction, but that occurred so often that he and the others ruled it as normal.

It startled and concerned him when he saw that Jungyoon was looking at their rehearsals like she was memorizing how they looked. His mind ran amuck with different possibilities why she would be looking at them like that. Yet, he couldn’t fathom the reason because there was no way her time was expiring due to Savant Syndrome.

He doesn’t want to believe that was the reason. He hoped it wasn’t the reason.

“Our family is coming to the concert as well.” Jin commented on their way home from the rehearsal.

“Oh, I see. That’s great. I’m sure they’re proud of what you’ve accomplished.” Jungyoon responded with a nod. “I know I am. I’m sure your fans are too.”

“So, what have you been up to in the past months, Yoon-ie?” Taehyung interjected into the conversation, changing the topic of their conversation all the sudden.

His baby sister turned around at the question, flashing a mysterious smile that doesn’t explain anything, and then finally answered. “I’ve been training a new batch of armed detectives. Aside from that, my team and I have been busy training law enforcements to be more efficient, and attending court proceedings when we need to.”

“So, you’re basically training the next generation.” Namjoon summarized thoughtfully with pursed lips.

Jungkook looked at her with narrowed eyes, inwardly trying to figure out if there were any hidden implications in her words. He had learnt not to take her words as-is due to her secretive nature. He then pointed out, “You haven’t been on missions like you’ve mentioned in your texts. That’s good.”

“Missions aren’t always life-threatening, Jungkook.”

“You could’ve at least told me that. How was I supposed to know that?”

Jungyoon gave him a sheepish smile, and uttered, “Sorry, sorry.”

“You know, Jungyoon-ie, you look different.” Jimin pointed out from the backseat. “Sorry, I don’t mean it like that. I don’t know how to explain it. Something about you is different.”

He had to admit, Jimin was right with that observation. He couldn’t pinpoint the source, but there was something about his baby sister that was different. It was beseeching for attention, yet at the same time, it was trying to hide from the world. It was very conflicting since he doesn’t know what it was.

“Oh really? I don’t feel any different though. I wonder if it’s because I had more time to sleep.”

That answer might have fooled everyone else; but he doesn’t believe it for a second.

Perhaps, it was the twin intuition that he didn’t know he had, or due to his familiarity with Jungyoon despite being a part for many years. Either way, he doesn’t believe his baby sister – not when he noticed a startled look on her expression that appeared as quickly as it disappeared.

He was so going to find out what she was hiding, one way or another.

.

.

He didn’t think the opportunity would come so soon.

It was purely an accident that he bumped into his sister’s bag and spilled its contents. He doesn’t want his sister to think that he was being nosy, so he quickly gathered the fallen objects. It ranged from wallet to two small pistols to magazines to a makeup container. He also noticed a nondescript catalog envelope with its papers spilled on the floor.

It was rather curious considering this object looked very much out of place. He might not be fluent in English like Namjoon, but he saw words like ‘last stage’, ‘forbidden’, ‘life-threatening’, and ‘death’. He doesn’t understand what those words meant – in fact, he doesn’t know if wanted to understand what it meant.

He then flipped the gathered pages when the words ‘bucket list’ written in blue ink stared back at him. He couldn’t comprehend why Jungyoon made a ‘notebook’ dedicated to ‘bucket list’. In fact, he couldn’t understand what she wrote since it was in a foreign language, and the only words he understood was ‘watch BTS concert at once’ because it was in Korean.

The main question that nagged at him was: why would she need a bucket list?

He jumped up in startled when he heard his sister’s footsteps, and scrambled to say, “Sorry, your stuff fell. I didn’t mean to look through them.”

He tentatively looked behind him when he didn’t hear her say anything. Instead of scolding him like he expected, a small tight smile appeared on her expression before she uttered, “So, you saw. I might as well tell you the truth – I’m dying, Jungkook.”

Surely, he didn’t hear her say what he thought she said.

He stated at her in shock and retaliated with a, “Don’t joke like that, baby girl. It’s not funny.”

“I know you knew there was something different about me. I could see it in your eyes.” Jungyoon explained as she sat on his bed. “Everyone in my team is. We speculate that if we use Savant Syndrome to its full power once more, we might not make it. America came up with a prototype that can counter against this effect, but none of us knows if it will work. The researchers wanted to test it further before they give it to us – but the thing is, we don’t know if we can wait that long.”

“Why not?”

That was the only question he could ask. He doesn’t know how to process this information she gave him. It was too mind boggling, and it felt unreal.

“We don’t know what will happen if we accepted to test those prototypes ourselves.” Jungyoon instead continued with her tale without answering to his question. “It’s risk we decided to take. If it doesn’t work then, we won’t lose anything.”

“Why didn’t you tell me about this when we talked on the phone? Or earlier when you arrived?” Jungkook questioned quietly with a frown.

She laid down on the bed, looking at the ceiling instead of his direction, and replied, “I didn’t want to say anything until I knew for sure. I knew you were busy with your idol life, especially when your popularity skyrocketed more so than last year, so I didn’t want to worry you.”

“You shouldn’t need to concern with it, Jungyoon-ie. I always have time for you.”

His sister didn’t say anything, so he turned his attention back to the notebook in his hands. He couldn’t decipher what it meant since he speculated that it was in either German or Dutch – if it was Japanese or English, he could interpret some words.

“I don’t want to accept this.”

“Neither do I, oppa. But it’s not your fault that I exchanged my future for the power.”