Ten.

The Vampire's Servant
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s Note:

TRIGGER WARNING: mentions of physical and emotional abuse, graphic, don’t read the second portion of this chapter if they trigger you

In this chapter, we’ll delve more into Sehun’s background, particularly his struggle with his family and it’s not pretty. The chains of events that lead to his backstory's revelation might not be as realistic as one might expect, but through that scene, I just want to address how humans can be just outright mean and merciless towards others. So that's that on that.

 
On the other hand, we also get to see Seulgi, who has somehow formed a mental connection with Sehun. It won’t be long before our seulhun meet again for the third bite. Ever wonder how would Seulgi react to when Sehun recognizes her? I simply can’t wait.

 

Ten.

Shackles.

 

The werewolves’ territory lies not too far from the vampires'. While Joohyun and her family live on the hill, the werewolves love to roam around the foot, where lush trees loom over them and the river is strong. They claimed a vast meadow as their domain and to enter that, Joohyun and Junmyeon must traverse through a cave under two tall pine trees.

 

During the day, this meadow is the best place to bask in the sunlight. It is gentle and warm and the werewolves love nothing more than to lie on their backs on a bed of grass, or flowers, and soak in the warmth. However at night, thousands of fireflies light up the way, as if the stars from above descended into the earth. Bright, crescent moon shines overhead, as do the stars around it. Joohyun notices Junmyeon takes a few seconds to admire the sky. They have lived under the same, never-changing horizon for hundreds of years but never once they grew bored of it. Perhaps because the sky in their realm is so much more beautiful than the mortal’s. Humans, she thought, the machinery they created ruined the earth and they didn’t even seem to care.

 

As Joohyun and Junmyeon make their way to Jongdae and Minseok’s cabin, she can sense the werewolves are a bit more alert than usual. The alpha’s cabin is the biggest and it stands right in the center, made of wood and stone and stretching long. Minseok stands outside the entrance, already awaiting their arrival.

 

Joohyun nods when their eyes meet and Minseok leads them inside. Inside is cozy and warm, with dim lighting and open windows allowing the cool night breeze to enter. Jongdae is standing in front of a fireplace. He’s frowning and it doesn’t take much effort from Joohyun to understand what’s bothering him. Jongdae’s thoughts have been very audible since she stepped on his front porch.

 

“What do you want to talk about?” the alpha asks, glancing at Joohyun and Junmyeon.

 

Beside Jongdae, stands a tall man wrapped in black, hooded cloak. Beneath the hood is a tanned, sun-kissed skin and his lips curve into a boyish smile when Joohyun mees his gaze. Of course, she doesn’t miss the scale and sword crest on his left . This person is Mingyu, a Shifter and the leader of The Sentinels, the protectors of the Realm.

 

“Nice of you to join us, Mingyu.”

 

“Yeah.” Mingyu chuckles, pulling down his hood to reveal a dark hair and electric blue eyes. “Jongdae has told me everything and I’ve seen the body. Finally, something fun happened after hundreds of years.”

 

Junmyeon shakes his head. “Is that what the Chief of The Sentinels should say?” he jokes. “Should’ve been happy that we’ve been peaceful for so long.”

 

Sighing, Joohyun ignores the two and proceeds to tell them everything Sooyoung, Yerim, and Sungjae told her earlier. It’s almost overwhelming, recounting what she learned while Jongdae, Mingyu, and Minseok’s thoughts are growing louder and louder at the same time as they process this new information.

 

“Necromancy…” Jongdae sighs, looking very, very troubled that even Joohyun feels sympathetic. “You know what? I’m certain it’s Taehyung.” he broods, eyes glazed as he stares out of the window.

 

“Yes, but what does he want?” Junmyeon murmurs, pacing around the room, a habit he always does when he’s thinking. “If he killed more mortals, we’d risk exposing our existence. Worse, events like The Long War might even happen again.”

 

“What about your scouts?”

 

“Haven’t returned yet.” Jongdae shakes his head. He had sent his scout to trace Taehyung’s whereabouts, but strangely they hadn’t managed to find the rogue werewolf. It’s been days and he’s starting to grow antsy.

 

“Other Sentinels are on the lookout, too, now. I’ve dispatched a team to search for Taehyung yesterday.” Mingyu informs, looking out at the window. “I’ve also increased the number of Sentinels to watch our borders. The Barrier will be closely monitored from now on.”

 

“I’m going to talk with the werefolks in the Western Realm.” Jongdae adds.

 

“Some Sentinel in the Western Realm informed me about the location where the dead body was found.” Mingyu speaks again. “One of the witches… Bona, I think, managed to trace the magic. She, Sojung, and three Sentinels are in pursuit now. Should they find something, they’ll let us know.”

 

“Should we ask the help of other realms? It’s not like they didn’t know about these strange deaths.” Minseok suggests.

 

But Joohyun scowls. “The Eastern vampire coven knew this because of Ilhoon’s odd fixation on mortal’s news, but other than that, I don’t think anyone in the Eastern or Southern realm knew about this.”

 

“But if more deaths happen-”

 

“Then we’ll ask their assistance.” she answers. Minseok gives her a strange look and Joohyun knows what’s on his mind. “Look, as long as we have this under our control and unless the same deaths happen in the East and South, let’s not drag them into this mess. If all the realms in South Korea knew about these deaths, then the High Council will know about it and I know I’m not the only one who disliked them.”

 

In every realm, there must always be a leader. This figure will be the one who unites all the leaders from every immortal clan in those realms. In South Korea, that figure is held by four immortals who call themselves The High Council. Like other leaders, Joohyun and Jongdae answer to The High Council. However, they are a stubborn bunch. They are pompous, sly, and difficult to handle. Joohyun can easily, almost too easily, imagine how they would react if they managed to hear even a slight whisper of these deaths.

 

Minseok looks torn and he turns to look at Jongdae, wondering what the alpha is going to decide. Despite his hesitance, he can’t help but to agree with Joohyun. He remembered The Long War hundreds of years before and how The High Council nearly pick the option to do mass genocide on the mortals in South Korea. Perhaps Joohyun is right. They need to stall. Looking at Jongdae, Minseok knows the alpha is thinking the same thing.

 

“Fine.” Jongdae gives in. “But we need to do better than this.”


 

*


 

“I’ve been thinking…” the woman on the phone says quietly, almost meekly. “Maybe you could visit us in Busan next Saturday?”

 

Sehun holds back his sigh and pinches the bridge of his nose, hoping it would tone down the headache he’s been having since he woke up this morning. It’s useless, though. The sudden phone call from his mother had out every bit of positivity and good mood he could possibly have for the entire day. However, uncomfortable phone calls aside, Sehun has to admit he didn’t wake up happy. If any, he felt restless and uneasy, like there’s something preventing him from being happy, or at the very least, content.

 

The lack of motivation for getting out of bed, the heavy sensation lingering on his back, as if there’s an invisible, parasitic ghost leeching out any happy thoughts from him, and the suffocating pain on his chest were telltale signs: happy periods are over and depressive thoughts are returning.

 

And now, his mother’s phone call makes the gray cloud over his head even darker.

 

“I don’t know.” he answers.

 

Sehun does not want to go to Busan, not now, not ever. He doesn’t want to spend time with his mother and her new boyfriend, not when the guy barely even wants to be in the same vicinity near him. The day his mother decided to forsake him for the new man is the day Sehun accepted the fact that he no longer had any parental figure he could depend on in his life.

 

“I’ve talked to him about this.” his mother replies, almost pleading. “He… he wanted to get closer to you, too… he was sorry.”

 

“No.” Sehun’s reply is short and cold. “I have to go, or I’ll be late.”

 

“Sehun-”

 

It would be a lie to say that he doesn’t feel bad for hanging up, but he can’t endure another torturous seconds talking with his mother. Not when she left him after everything they went through. Not after she abandoned him.

 

Miraculously, Sehun managed to get ready and safely arrived at his campus, but he could barely concentrate. Not even Jackson’s joke can lighten up his mood. If any, he wants nothing more than to return to his room and deprive himself of any human interaction. That is not a good coping mechanism, he knows. Because then it’s just him and his poisonous thoughts and when it comes to that battle, he always loses. Yet it feels very painful, watching his friends joke around and move on with their lives without care. Theirs seem to be so easy, like calm, undisturbed water. So unlike his.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter