A Text

Pot Shot

“That was embarrassing.”

“Don’t think that.”

“Why didn’t you stop me?”

“You needed to let it out.”

“Not on the street in front of strangers.”

“They couldn’t see your face anyway.”

“That’s not the point, oh my God.”

“The point is you feel better now, don’t you?”

Tiffany sniffs. “A little,” she admits with reluctance. “A tiny bit better.”

“That’s the point.” Taeyeon smiles, watching as the sniffing woman wipes her cheeks dry with a tissue. “Do you want to talk about it or are you done crying about it?”

“I wanted to get you away from your ex but ended up crying on your shoulder instead.” Tiffany’s smile is sheepish.

“It’s refreshing to see you like this.”

“Refreshing? Do you enjoy watching me cry?”

“I don’t mean that. It’s just different ‘cos you’re always sure and confident of yourself. Even in front of strangers. This is the first time I’ve seen this different side of you.”

“So what do you think of my weak side?”

“I don’t think it’s your weak side. I think it’s your real side.”

Tiffany lifts her brows. “Is the other side of me unreal then?”

“A little.”

Tiffany laughs. “Oh my God.”

Taeyeon simply shrugs, her eyes following the movement of Tiffany’s curls as they fall over broad shoulders.

“You’re unreal too.”

“Looks like we have something in common.”

Tiffany’s smile is warm. “Yes, we do.”

Silence falls into place between them as they begin walking down the street, hand-in-hand. It is comfortable, not at all awkward, and Taeyeon appreciates it. She appreciates the ease. She doesn’t have to be someone in front of Tiffany. She can just be herself. And it seems like Tiffany feels the same way too.

“Tell me about your ex,” says Tiffany, after they are seated at a cafe around the corner. “I’m ready to listen if you’re ready to talk about it.”

Taeyeon turns the cup of coffee in her hands, staring at the ice cubes as they swirl in the liquid. “I’m not really sad, surprisingly. I did shed some tears after finding out but I cried out of anger more than sadness.”

“What were you angry about specifically?”

“Time, I guess. I was angry because all this time had been wasted. I was angry over the wasted chances. I could have met someone else. I could have gone out with my friends instead of him.”

“But you don’t really think like that, right?” Tiffany says with a smile. “Even if it in the end, you had fun with him. You had good times too.”

“That’s true too. But at the point, I felt like everything had been meaningless.”

“What about right now? How do you feel about it now?”

“It’s over. I’m done.”

“Do you miss him?”

Taeyeon frowns. “Sometimes. We were together for seven months. I kinda got used to having him around for stuff.”

“That’s normal.”

“I guess.”

Tiffany smiles and Taeyeon smiles back. Then they simultaneously lift their cups to drink. Taeyeon finds it funny but keeps it to herself.

“What about you?” Taeyeon leans forward and props her chin on her palms. “What’s your sugar babe problem?”

Tiffany’s eyes bore into Taeyeon’s. “Do you really wanna know?”

“Yes, of course. Why else would I ask?”

“Some people ask for the sake of asking.”

“Not me. I wanna know.”

“Okay. For starters, you should know that I’m a lifestyle manager.”

“A what?”

“A lifestyle manager.”

“What do you do as a lifestyle manager?”

“Fancy titles aside, I’m simply a concierge for rich people.”

“Oh . . . so that’s what you meant.”

Tiffany grins. “Yes. I make rich people happy and they give me money.”

“You’re such troll.”

Tiffany laughs. “Anyway, one of my clients called me a cheap, useless after I told him his privileges do not cover the services of an .”

“What an .”

“He is. I’ve never liked him but I stayed professional of course. And I’m not the sort who cries over these things but he said some things that struck a nerve.”

“What did he say?”

“He said I’m too helpful for my own good. That I’m getting on his nerves and he bets the people around me secretly think that too.”

“That’s so mean! Why the heck did he say that?”

“I don’t think he appreciated me explaining the nature of our services and suggesting he find an alternative source for his needs.”

“He’s an . A dirty, filthy, smelly . He’s not worth your tears.”

Tiffany shakes her head. “It’s not his words alone that affected me. You see, it so happens that my ex said that to me too.”

“What?”

“She said I’m suffocating her. That I’m poking my nose into her business too much. She doesn’t want my help and I’m getting on her nerves.”

Taeyeon exhales slowly to keep calm. “That’s a horrible thing to say. Even during a breakup.”

“I thought I was over it. But the client said the same thing and it made me feel really crappy.”

“I haven’t known you for long, so for what it’s worth, I think you’re nothing like that.”

“For what it’s worth, thank you.”

Taeyeon puts her hand over Tiffany’s and gives her a gentle squeeze. “The next time you need a shoulder to cry on, just use mine.”

X

The next morning, Taeyeon smiles as she reads the text message Tiffany sent her. Wakey wakey! Today’s gonna be a good day! Even through plain text on a screen, she can feel the other woman’s exuberance.

Tapping in her reply, Taeyeon moves about her kitchen, pulling out her favourite box of cereal and a carton of milk. Once the message is sent, she places her phone on the countertop and pours herself a meal of cereal-in-milk. It’s a simple meal but it suits someone like her who doesn’t have an interest in cooking elaborate meals.

Do you have plans for the day?

Taeyeon reads and smiles. Tiffany’s easy demeanour surfaces in her mind and reminds her of the great talk they had over coffee last night. Watch tv and chill then train after dinner.

May I join you?

Taeyeon stares at the question. Why is her heart beating faster than before? For tv or training?

I’m free all day.

With her teeth on her bottom lip, Taeyeon types her reply. Sure. Join me. She sets her phone down and eats another spoonful of cereal. For no reason at all, her heart is suddenly beating hard and fast.

X