A T

Pot Shot

 

Taeyeon blinks and stares at her reflection in the mirror. It has been a strange month. From the shocking discovery to the heart-warming support to this. This new friend called Tiffany and her friends, Yuri and Lin. Life is strange. From heartbreak and anger to muted numbness to a budding sense of anticipation. Funny how meeting new people can switch your mood this easily.

Then again, it wasn’t really heartbreak. She hadn’t been torn to shreds when she discovered her boyfriend, now ex-boyfriend, and his ‘moonlighting’. It had been painful, yes. But not crippling. Her anger took over soon enough and now, she’s staring at a smiling version of herself. Smiling from the memory of waking up hungover, with a woman she barely knows. Talk about having an adventure.

Thinking back on it now, she supposes their emotional attachment hadn’t been gone beyond surface-deep. Dating him had been fun but they didn’t have much conversation about feelings or plans for the future. Just many fun nights out and several hot nights in.

Speaking of fun nights, that night had been fun. Tiffany, Yuri and Lin. Tiffany mainly. She’s easy to talk to and fun to listen to. Also nice to look at. Her smile. There are people with disarming smiles and Tiffany is one of them. She could probably ‘smile’ a robber into dropping his gun if she tries.

But not a single call or message has come through since they said goodbye two mornings ago. Does Tiffany want a friendship? Can she trust Tiffany enough to deepen this friendship? Is this even a friendship?

The door opens and someone enters the washroom. The footsteps come to a stop beside her.

“You’re not gonna get any prettier staring at yourself all day, you know.”

Taeyeon grins at Sunny. “But I might be able to enlarge my rack if I stare hard enough.”

“Sure. Keep staring then.”

“Training over?”

“For the day.”

“Wanna grab a drink?”

“Sure. See you outside.”

Fifteen minutes later, Taeyeon is walking to the car with Sunny.

“Where to?”

“Remember Pot Shot?”

“Should I?”

“Remember the place where I had to get a hug from a lady in red?”

“Oh,” Sunny’s eyes widen in remembrance, “the one who kissed you?”

“Yeah.”

“Why do you wanna go there again?”

“I’ll tell you along the way.”

By the time Taeyeon pulls into the parking lot at Pot Shot, Sunny is staring at her, eyes wide and unblinking.

“What?”

“This Tiffany person, are you sure she’s someone you wanna mix around with?”

“That’s what I hope to find out.”

“I’m a pool player, Taeyeon. Not a sleuth.”

“But you’re sharp. You notice things.”

“The fact that you feel the need to suss her out . . .”

“You’re my backup, Sunny.”

“I hope you realize how weird you’re acting right now.”

“Weird?”

“You said backup. You don’t need a backup to make new friends, Taeyeon. You need a backup for a date that might go wrong.”

“Well, the circumstances are different.”

“You’re biting your nail, Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon looks at the nail she was biting. “I am.”

“What are you nervous about?”

“Honestly? I don’t know.”

X

“This place looks better than I remember it.”

Taeyeon gives Sunny a look. “It wasn’t that bad the first time.”

“I’m not saying it was bad. I’m just saying it looks better.”

“It’s pretty cosy.”

“It is.”

“Let’s get a drink first.”

“That’s what I like to hear.”

“Sunny, Sunny.” Taeyeon shakes her head. She wishes she had better alcohol tolerance like Sunny but looking at the way Sunny drinks, her liver will be busted before her hair turns white. “Don’t drink too much, okay?”

“I won’t when I’m with you.”

And that’s true. Sunny drinks big with the players and small with amateurs like her. She’s considerate that way. But if they meet Tiffany tonight, there’s no knowing how much Sunny will end up drinking.

“When is your new friend coming?” Sunny asks while they’re waiting for their drinks.

Taeyeon taps the counter top with her finger tips. “I don’t know exactly.”

“But she’s definitely coming, right?”

“Actually, I’m not sure about that either.”

“What?”

“I didn’t ask her.”

“Why didn’t you? And if she’s not gonna come, why are we even here?”

“To hang out?”

“We could’ve hung out anywhere else. You said yourself you want to suss Tiffany out. How do you suss out a person who isn’t here?”

“I don’t know.”

“You’re acting really weird, just so you know.”

“I know.”

Sunny raises her brows at her over the glass of long island tea just served. “Let’s play some eight ball instead of standing around like ducks for shooting.”

X

The crowd cheers when Sunny pots the final black. Taeyeon rolls her eyes as Sunny takes a deep bow. She knows Sunny knows what everyone looking will get to see when she bows that low. And the way she arches while straightening up. Taeyeon tries not to laugh at the jaws that slacken. Sunny isn’t the most charismatic pool player in the league for nothing. These men and women are being played and they are eating it up.

She looks around at the crowd, amused, until a pair of eyes meets hers. Long black curls frame the twinkling eyes and upturned lips of red. Taeyeon waves at the pretty picture. “Tiffany!”

“You’ve got quite the crowd here,” Tiffany says as she draws within a step of Taeyeon. "And who’s the y lady with you?”

“She’s my friend, Sunny.” Taeyeon tugs Sunny’s arm. “Hey, meet my friend, Tiffany.

Sunny’s smile is as bright as the morning sun. “Hi, pleasure to meet you. I’m Sunny.”

“The pleasure’s all mine, Sunny.” Tiffany’s smile is just as radiant, if not more. “Did you just beat Taeyeon at a game of pool?”

“I always beat Taeyeon at eight ball.”

“You can’t say the same for snooker.”

“We play balls of our own sizes,” Sunny quips with a wink.

Tiffany throws her head back and laughs heartily.

“An intellectual who catches on quick. I could grow to like this friend of yours.”

Taeyeon gives Sunny a stern glare.

“Do you drink?” Tiffany asks Sunny.

“Hell yeah.”

“I think I’m in love. I’ll buy you a winner’s drink. What would you like?”

“I’m not one to turn down a free drink. A long island, please.”

“I may have met my match. I’ll be right back.”

Taeyeon watches as Tiffany heads to the bar. You didn’t ask me if I want a drink . . .

“Okay, whatever I said about Tiffany earlier, I’m taking back. She’s great.”

Taeyeon rolls her eyes. “You’re too easily bribed.”

“It’s not about the free drink. Just look at her. She’s got a great smile, she’s friendly, generous . . .”

“You wouldn’t be say that if she didn’t offer to buy you a drink.”

Sunny shrugs. “It’s all part of the package. She just made a great first impression and I’m being honest about it.”

“Whatever you say, alcoholic.”

“Yeah, whatever I say, amateur.”

X

“A professional pool player. It must be great to make money out of doing what you love.”

“It is. But there are days when I absolutely regret it.”

“There are?” Taeyeon is surprised.

Sunny gives her a nod. “On my down days.”

“Have you ever wanted to quit?” Tiffany asks.

“On my down days. I ask myself why I chose to give myself so much pressure. I ask myself what all this stress over a ball game is for. Then, I think about quitting.”

Tiffany turns to Taeyeon. “What about you?”

“I’ve never thought of quitting.”

“That’s a quick and sure answer. Never as in absolutely never?”

Taeyeon nods. “I can’t imagine doing anything else.”

Tiffany smiles. “Then you’re a blessed one.”

“I guess I am.”

“Lucky at work, but not so lucky in love.”

“That’s an award-winning observation, Sunny.”

“Not so lucky in love, huh. Why do you say that?”

Sunny takes another sip of her long island tea. “In the five years I’ve known her, she’s been through three different men. The first dude moved to another country for work, the second wanted marriage and the third . . .”

“The third?”

“He cheated on me.”

Tiffany shoots Taeyeon a look of sympathy. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“It’s okay. I’m over it now.”

“You’re a good person. You’ll find someone.” Tiffany chugs a mouthful of beer. “Why didn’t you marry the second one though?”

“He wanted a family.”

“Is that a problem?”

“He didn’t want to wait. He wanted me to quit playing and start producing babies.”

“And you can’t imagine quitting. I see the problem there.”

“He’s married now. With two kids.”

“Good for him.”

Taeyeon nods. “Yes, he’s a good father.”

Tiffany leans forward an inch. “Do you regret it?”

“Not marrying him?”

Tiffany nods.

“No. I wasn’t ready for kids and I’m still not ready for kids. I mean, having a kid is great, of course. But I really want to keep playing snooker.”

“Well then, it sounds like you haven’t met a good match yet.”

“That’s right, I haven’t.”

“Well, keep your eyes peeled. You never know when your good match will walk into your life and take you by surprise.”

“What about you?”

“Me? I’m a free spirit.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“I’m looking for a soulmate. Most of my friends think it’s just my excuse to have more fun instead of settling down with someone.”

“A soulmate. That’s deep.”

“Do you believe in soulmates?”

“I believe two people can complement each other to a T.”

“Well, that’s close enough,” Tiffany says with twinkling eyes and a tinker of a laugh. “Pretty darn close enough.”

X