A Pro

Pot Shot

 

Pain.

Is the room turning or . . .

Taeyeon shuts her eyes but it still feels as though she were on a tiny little boat in the middle of a thunderstorm at sea. “Argh.”

“You’re awake. Are you okay?”

The foreign voice from the left gives her a shock and she turns much too quickly for her head to take. “Oh my God,” she groans and palms her forehead.

“Four beers got you into this mess. You’re one of a kind.”

“Why are you here?” Taeyeon asks after a moment.

Tiffany is lying on her side, head propped on her palm, wearing a smile of amusement. “At least you remember who I am. That’s better than the last couple of one night stands I had.”

“W-We had a one night stand?” Taeyeon thinks she’s going to be sick.

“Is it that bad if we had one?”

Taeyeon closes her eyes and palms them. It makes her feel better. Better enough to reply, “Yes.”

“Is it bad because you don’t approve of one night stands or because it’s with me?”

“One night stands are stupid and dangerous.”

“Mmm, I don’t know about stupid but I’m not dangerous.”

Taeyeon tries to sit up. With Tiffany’s help, she succeeds and leans against the headboard, trying to stabilize the rocky waves in her head. “How do I know you’re not dangerous?”

“Wow, I sacrificed myself to spend the night with you and here I am being questioned. I should’ve just left you to the hyenas downstairs last night.”

“Hyenas downstairs?”

“If you’re lucky, maybe some kind chick would’ve kept you safe. But if you’re not, I’ll bet there’s a couple of shady characters downstairs who would’ve done the unspeakable to you.”

“What’s downstairs?”

“Where we were last night. Billiard Saloon.”

“Oh, we’re just upstairs? Is this a hotel room?”

“More like, just a room.”

Taeyeon looks at her surroundings. There’s not much to see in this tiny space. The walls are painted simply, light pastel pink, and left bare. There is a digital lock on the wooden door but that is probably the newest item in the entire room. Or the only new item.

The bed she’s on is creaky and although it’s not uncomfortable, she can tell it’s been around for awhile. There’s a basic phone on the bedside cabinet that doesn’t look like it works. It’s pink as well, like the colour of the walls. But above all it’s the old fashioned floral bedcover that makes the room feel dated, and therefore, cheap.

“Is this where you had your previous one night stands?”

Tiffany grins. “You don’t seem to be bothered that we had a one night stand anymore.”

“We’re both fully dressed. I may be hungover but I’m not stupid.”

“Touché.”

“How much does this room cost? I’ll pay you back.”

“It’s okay. I have to take responsibility for making you drink too much.”

“It’s not your fault. I should’ve controlled myself.”

“I pushed you to drink more than you could.”

“I allowed you to push me. I was in the mood to drink. Maybe even get drunk.”

Tiffany gets off the bed and rummages in her bag for a bit. “Here.” She returns with a bottle of water. “Bottoms up. It’ll make you feel better.”

“I don’t wanna hear bottoms up for a while after this.”

Tiffany laughs. “You’re cute.”

“Thanks, but does being cute help with headaches?”

“You need to get some food into that flat stomach of yours.” Tiffany takes the bottle from her and tugs on her arm. “Come on. Wash up and we’ll go looking for yummy breakky.”

X

“Feeling better now?” Tiffany asks after they’ve munched on some sandwiches and drained a couple of coffees.

“Better . . .”

“But?”

“Embarrassed.”

Tiffany stares at her. “Embarrassed? By?”

“Walking around in shiny shorts early in the morning without makeup that matches.”

“Are you the type who conforms to social conventions just to feel safe?”

“I don’t necessarily conform but I have manners.”

“You do have manners. But what does wearing shiny shorts in the morning have to do with manners?”

“It’s weird morning attire.”

“Weird because you don’t have the confidence to carry it off. Look at me. I’m in a black dress that obviously isn’t for work.”

“People are staring.”

“To hell with them. What do they know?”

“It won’t be good if people from work happen to see me like this.”

Tiffany shakes her head. “Unbelievable. What kind of work do you do? What are you afraid of?”

Big, round eyes meet Tiffany’s. Then Taeyeon’s soft voice speaks, “I have an image to upkeep.”

“What, are you some kind of celebrity?”

“Not really, but recently, I signed an endorsement deal so there’s some pressure to maintain . . . you know.”

Tiffany leans forward on her elbows. “Tell me about your endorsement deal.”

Those big, round eyes blink and hesitate. “I’m not sure if I can.”

“Mmm, if you’re not a celebrity, and if you were, I should know, then what are you?”

“I’m a sportswoman.”

“Which sport?” Tiffany looks Taeyeon up and down. “No offence, but you don’t look athletic to me.”

Taeyeon chuckles. “No offence taken. The sport I play isn’t athletic so you’re not wrong.”

“Hm, table tennis?”

“Well, the sport I play involves a table, but it’s not table tennis.”

“Okay, I’m out of patience. Just ing tell me.”

Taeyeon grins. “I’m a professional snooker player.”

“Oh my God, that makes so much sense to me now,” Tiffany exclaims as she recalls how well Taeyeon played eight ball last night. “Holy . You’re on my team forever now.”

“You know my job now. What’s yours?”

It’s Tiffany’s turn to grin. “I’m a sugar babe.”

“Huh?”

“I make rich people happy and they give me money.”

X