A Start

Pot Shot

“Taeyeon.”

“Hmm?”

“Taeyeon.”

“What is it?”

“Look up.”

Taeyeon looks up and is surprised by a pair of lips closing in on her. “Oh my gg—”

Tiffany is giggling when she leans back. “You should’ve seen your face.”

“I-I wasn’t expecting it.”

“Well, we are in the car after all. You should’ve seen it coming.”

Right there and then, Taeyeon remembers what Tiffany whispered in her ear after her quarterfinals.

“If we weren’t in public right now, I would kiss you crazy.”

Those words ring in her head the entire way, until they get to the park.

“You were pretty quiet during the ride. Are you feeling okay?” Tiffany asks, while rubbing Taeyeon’s arm. “If you’re not, we can always go home.”

“If you’re not keen on this picnic date, we can just go home,” says Taeyeon.

“What? Where did you get that idea from?”

“You don’t seem to like public places very much.”

“That’s not true. I go out all the time.”

“Not with me, you don’t.”

“What are you talking about? We hang out at Pot Shot all the time.”

“Pot Shot isn’t counted.”

“Sweetie, Pot Shot is a public place.”

“It’s a friendly public place.”

“What do you mean friendly public place.”

“It’s what Hyerim told me; Pot Shot is liberal place. Safer for us to hang out at. It’s a place where you don’t get weird stares or mean comments if we hold hands.”

“Taeyeon, what exactly are you trying to say?”

Staring deep into Tiffany’s eyes, Taeyeon sees the answer. “You know what I’m trying to say; you’re just not willing to admit it. You’re not comfortable dating in public places like the park.”

“We’ve hung out at cafés. We’ve gone shopping. You’re making it sound like we’ve been hibernating in a cave far away from civilisation.”

“I’ve noticed we haven’t gone out shopping like that since that time before things between us got serious. Same with the café dates.”

“So what’s your point? I’m not trying to hide you from public or anything.”

“But you are. You don’t want to be seen dating me in public. That’s why I had to persuade you to have a picnic with me in the park. That’s why you’re so eager to go home now.”

Tiffany throws her arms up in the air. “I’m not eager to go home. I just thought you didn’t look well. But you’re obviously very well right now.”

Taeyeon shakes her head. “That’s not it.”

“What do I have to say to convince you?”

“Why don’t you be honest with me and tell me what you’re worried about?”

Tiffany stares at her for the longest time, nostrils flaring from the temper she is, no doubt, trying to tame right now. But Taeyeon holds her ground and waits. The dam is about to crack. She just has to be patient and give Tiffany some ti—

“I’m afraid you’ll think this is too hard. I’m afraid you’ll quit on me,” Tiffany says in a rush.

Taeyeon blinks, trying to digest what Tiffany just confessed. “You’re afraid I’ll leave you because . . .?”

“I’m used to getting stared at but you’re not. I can deal with people saying rude things to me but I’m not sure if you can.”

“So you’re afraid I’ll leave you because other people don’t approve?”

With teeth pulling at her lower lip, Tiffany nods, then opens the door and steps out into the night. For a moment, Taeyeon remains in the car, stunned by Tiffany’s confession. Given Tiffany’s confidence and chirpiness, it has never occurred to her that Tiffany would be worried about things such as this.

At first, she feels soft. Tiffany really likes her and wants to keep her. It warms her heart and makes her smile. But anger interrupts rudely. How could Tiffany do this to her? How could she trick her into thinking everything is fine and dandy? It’s just not fair. And how could Tiffany have so little faith in her? Does Tiffany think she’s the kind who runs away at the slightest sign of trouble?

Then again, did she give Tiffany that impression?

Maybe. She was definitely unsure at the start. She even told Tiffany so.

But Tiffany shouldn’t be keeping all these things from her. What does that say about Tiffany as a girlfriend? Can she still trust Tiffany to be upfront with her in future? But it doesn’t really count as a deal breaker either.

In any case, she stands to gain nothing if she lets her anger take over. And Tiffany did admit it in the end . . .

Stepping out of the car, Taeyeon walks over to Tiffany and gives her the biggest hug ever. “Listen, I’m not gonna leave you because of what some other people think. You know me. I love sweet things. And you’re my sugar supply. I’m addicted to you and I don’t ever wanna be cured, so don’t make me join one of those ‘sugarholic anonymous’ groups. Deal?”

Tiffany doesn’t reply for the longest time but Taeyeon doesn’t let go. She closes her eyes and waits till Tiffany’s arms wrap around her in return. She smiles when those arms give her a big squeeze. No words can express the way she feels, so she says nothing too.

X

“How’s the salad?”

Taeyeon chews and rolls it around , letting her tongue taste the greens and dressing. “Mmm . . .” she comments with a frown.

Tiffany smacks her arm and she rubs it with an unremorseful grin even as Tiffany complains, “You are so mean to me.”

Chuckles roll out of Taeyeon after she swallows the mouthful of salad. “I’m just afraid you wouldn’t make salads for me anymore if I told you the truth.”

“Stop it. It’s not funny. I was really afraid.”

“I’m sorry. I just find it funny, thinking about the both of us.”

“Us both?”

Taeyeon nods. “We are such worriers.”

“I was planning on going more public with you later. I just wanted to give you some time to get used to it; seeing how you were unsure about so many things at first made me think I should protect you from the uglier side for a while. It’s like taking a new swimmer to the shallow end instead of dumping her into the deep end to drown.”

“To be honest . . . I kinda fell into the deep end recently.”

Tiffany’s eyes widen and she grabs Taeyeon’s hand. “What happened? Did someone insult you, or hurt you?”

Looking at her hand in Tiffany’s, Taeyeon relates the entire series of incidents, including her conversation with Hyerim.

“So that’s what you were talking to her about that night.”

“Yeah.”

“I’m glad you’re telling me about it now.”

“I wasn’t planning on telling you yet because I didn’t want you to be burdened. But I’m telling you now because all this worrying is just silly. We shouldn’t be doing this to ourselves.”

Tiffany’s eyes sparkle with a kind of emotion that resonates in Taeyeon’s chest. “We’re both silly.”

“We are.”

“Maybe it means we’re perfect for each other. ‘Cos we’re equally silly.”

Taeyeon snorts. “Or it could mean we’re both doomed.”

With confidence and sass returning to her eyes and smile, Tiffany shakes her head. “We won’t be doomed if we stick to each other and hang on tight.”

“Stick together through the good and bad times?”

“Yeah, through the good and bad. Through everything, regardless. I’ll always be here for you, no matter what.”

The rush of emotions is a little too much. Taeyeon blushes and pops a cherry tomato into Tiffany’s mouth. “I think I just fell in love with you.”

X